User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
sstrangee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Yamaha WR250R vs. Kawasaki KLX250S vs. Suzuki DRZ400S vs. KTM 350 EXC-F

Someone suggested to post this here for more input...
-------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone.

Currently I have two motorcycles. A BMW G650GS and a Yamaha TT-R230. I love the heck out of both, and both have their purposes. I love the BMW for long trips to do some mostly easy fire roads and 2-track. My TTR is my single
track burner and handles them with ease.

However, I'm in the market to find something that is dual sport, but still has the feel of the TT-R230 (251 lbs., very strong 1st/2nd gear -- which the BMW (430 lbs) does not have).

The dual sports I'm interested in are the Yamaha WR250R, Kawasaki KLX250S, Suzuki DRZ400, and the KTM 350 EXC-F. I'd like to get an opinion on all of these, but keep in mind the things that I'm really interested in are wet weight, seat height, and torque available in 1st gear (for those long steep inclines). I'm looking for something below the 300 lbs range (but might go alittle higher if the bike feels like it handles lighter), has a seat height of 35"-ish to 36"-ish (I'm 5'9"), and has the ability to make it up those long steep inclines and wheelie above those large rocks and fallen logs at slower speeds.

I'm heavily interested in the WR250R and the KTM 350 EXC-F, but the only thing keeping me from even getting serious about buying the KTM 350, is the seat height. I've heard the KTMs don't have lower links, so 38" seat height is what I get stuck at and won't even be able to touch the ground with a 30" inseam.

Anyone give any insight or opinions on these bikes? Appreciate it!
sstrangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I have a WR250R and while it's a fun little bike I wouldn't recommend it for the uses you specified. The KTM sounds like it would make you a lot happier in the offroad arena. My $0.02

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
if you are happy with the ttr230, why not plate it and keep it?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,516
I'm with Luke.

The 350 will do what you are looking for. Don't let the seat height worry you. I'm 5'-9" with a 30" inseam as well. It isn't as big of an issue as you think it will be.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
owned a wrr, ridden the ktm. Obviously the ktm is in a different universe offroad. It will be loads easier to pick up as well. The wrr is not a torquey motor you have to wind it up to make power. It's not the best for wheelieing over logs and such. I'm a 31-32" inseam 5'9 and the height never bothered me. You'll get used to it quick, I can't touch the ground with both feet on any of my dirt bikes. It feels wrong if I can.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
i vote KTM also.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
>"ability to make it up those long steep inclines and wheelie above those large rocks and fallen logs at slower speeds."

KTM350 or KTM500. They are not really good street bikes... but are very good in the dirt.
Either the above bikes or sell the BMW and get a KTM 690.

WR250R is a pretty good bike too. If you 'strip' the extra junk off, it comes out at about 280 lbs.
It is much better on the street, could ride it to Alaska and back... but not really good for wheelies (and such)
over logs and rocks.

(I have both a KTM500 and WR250R).
Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I'm with Luke.

The 350 will do what you are looking for. Don't let the seat height worry you. I'm 5'-9" with a 30" inseam as well. It isn't as big of an issue as you think it will be.
Takes some getting used to,hearing you recommend KTM's over WRR's. Its just odd.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I have had a few bikes and they where all good.
The WR250R = pretty good dual sport but hard to wheelie and with a tall seat it made it cram up your bum at the stop lights and I just had to shift all the time it was so bad my shin muscles would be in pain while I rode it. As for lowering the gearing when I went down in front the chain was wearing the swing arm so I had to go back to stock.
450 exc = OK dual sport for 80 dirt 20 street but hard core and unless you are looking to race your buddies the bike is over kill.
DRZ400S = Good dual sport right up in my top 2 it just has good suspension and lots of low end punch for wheelies mine was easy to mod and the only things that I didn't like was the top heavy weight and no 6th gear.
KLX250S = good dual sport with good suspension easy to mod and low seat with an easy way to gear down from the 14 to the 13 then I installed the 351 kit and wow what a great bike! Power wheelies 1st and 2nd and with the 13 tooth you can leave it in 6th from 30 - an indicated 89 mph.

Ohenry

ohenry screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 07:31 AM
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
If you must, this will lower the KTM;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457857
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
sstrangee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
KLX250S = good dual sport with good suspension easy to mod and low seat with an easy way to gear down from the 14 to the 13 then I installed the 351 kit and wow what a great bike! Power wheelies 1st and 2nd and with the 13 tooth you can leave it in 6th from 30 - an indicated 89 mph.
How was the power on the KLX250S before your bored it?
sstrangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
SSG B
Rounds complete

Oddometer: 585
I am 5'4" with a 30" inseam and ride a plated DRZ400E. I can get tiptoes of both feet on the ground. I shaved some of the seat foam out. I thought it would more of a problem not being able to touch both "feet" on the ground but it really isn't an issue. It would be nice, but I'm not going to get any taller, and the bikes are not going to get any smaller.

01 DRZ400E Tagged
SSG B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrangee View Post
How was the power on the KLX250S before your bored it?
I got mine used and it already had an exhaust and jetted. As a 250 it had such smooth power with hardly any vibes. The stock 14 tooth sprocket made first gear tall and 6th to so on long hauls it was great but off road you had to work a bit to not stall it. Once I went to the 13 tooth and opened the air box it could wheelie first and I could pull one in 2nd leaning back. I have always had a M4 exhaust and jetted to match. I could go every place my buddies could go with their 500exc and TE250 it would just be revving. I could also sit all day and not get sore. I love my KLX!

Ohenry