User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,487
Point Sturt, Milang Sth Aus

After the recent heatwaves, a glorious mild clear blue sky with nice dust clearing cross winds befriended us and our freshly cleaned, gleeming bikes, following the dusty conditions of last weeks ride.
("Over the Dusty Hill" ride)

I know! ... I know! ..... I know! ..... I was out in front with the map & didn't endure the dust.

But I have you mind, a car did pull out in front of me for a kilometer or two at some point over the 350kms ride & I could feel you guys laughing in satisfaction behind my back

Climbing out of the forest of Adelaide & into the hills for our rendezvous at Belair

The small group of intrepid adventurers gathered & prepared for a "short 50km ride" to the Strathalbyn bakery ..... or so they thought

That distance was easily doubled in the search for back lanes & dirt tracks, unfortunately joined by small sections of blacktop before refreshments were served

After refueling the body ........... on to Milang another "short 20kms" away, ................ but not as I know it

With good summer rains & tall regrowth & especially riding through the recent fire damaged countryside near Finniss, I was conscious of starting further fires by riding my usual often hidden by grass "special tracks" so we kept it mainly to open, easy "put a smile on ya face" ones.

A false sense of comfort grew as we enjoyed the fantastic fast undulating, twisting, smooth back roads, can I say it again, under clear blue sky in mild conditions

However it didn't take long to shatter those dreams, along a particular 5km 4x4 track with one special small but gnarly, (for the big bikes ) sand hill. (unfortunately the photo doesn't do it justice)

....... and the new paint job was soon put to the test .................... luckily without damage

Regrouping to compare beating hearts

On to Lake Alexandrina

From Point Sturt our hunger grew for a thirst quenching "meal" as we could see Milang across the Lake.

Surprisingly the pub was absolutely chockers & we were lucky to get a meal let alone a table to eat it on.

As mentioned before regarding the bushfire threat, our usual tall grassed, testing tracks were off limits & so we kept it safe.

Having recently bit the dust, well! ...... the rock impregnated cement-like dirt track with granite bolders hidden in the grass, on this corner not so long ago going the other way, I was determined to show it who's boss & spend some quality get to know ya time there before the troups arrived.

Before a the important debrief refresher at Echunga.

Our legendary "Single Track Dominator" adventurer, CharlieW has been working on his new invention for riding through contrasting shadowed tracks ............................ you just have to alternate winking to keep constant brightness

Great day guys & it was good to meet new comers Serg (DR650) & Mark (Tenere) as well as Jeff who lives in Strath, rode to Belair to ride back to Strath .... commitment

cya again soon.

Cheers

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,081

Any new starters for the Classic MB?

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Gasman_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
thanks for stopping and taking the pics, its great to get an idea of whats out there.

like many others, wish I could have gone.
Gasman_ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman_ADV View Post
thanks for stopping and taking the pics, its great to get an idea of whats out there.
like many others, wish I could have gone.
It's a pleasure fellow happy snapper, it's all part of my anti-dementia before adventure insurance plan I've got .... ya know ....... just in case.

Unfortunately for you though, I was having so much fun on the "good tracks" I forgot to stop to take more photos.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post
Any new starters for the Classic MB?
After CharlieW, KymW & my somewhat blurred recollections of your event, I'm sure they will be reading up on my ride reports as we speak ................ expect a pm

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,299
Looks like another great ride MB, I hope to get along to the next one.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Looks like another great ride MB, I hope to get along to the next one.Cheers, Sol..
Look forward to it

Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Tjilpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thanks for sharing.
Now officially homesick!
Good to see that bakery still there.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post

I hear its a bit of a tricky corner when you are coming down the hill towards it..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote