Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #16
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much does porcelain coating cost generally?

Mine cost me $75.00, and so far has held up great. Sand blasted and coated inside and out. It was done by a Jet Hot dealer.
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #17
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
@ebrabaek: pls see here (posts 8,9,12 & 21) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=quat-d

Regarding:

I do confirm there's no top end loss with a more open silencer, but actually with this configuration you'll lose some low end snap.
Careful: not torque, but only in "throttle reply", that's going to be smoother.
...all this with Quat-D silencer, that's equipped with a unic dB killer based onto a special fluid dynamics (pls see their site): very open indeed, therefore with a lower back pressure (affecting right low end snap).

The best all-around silencer is Akrapovic, anyway.

Within the solutions to re-gain top-end performance, there's the remapping itself.
I do suggest to try with OEM silencer, first: if you like that famous snap, couldn't be necessay to change silencer.
Do you like overkill? go for Akra. ...anyhow, pls consider the psychological impact on a 1.2 boxer to become humiliated by a E8GS with OEM muffler...

PS - info@qdexhaust.it ask Mr.De Liso (don't look the graph on the site: they're of another bike... )
Thank you for your explanation. I have a all Carbon Fiber silencer on it, and it will stay. My concern here, is that with such a free flowing system, it will rip through the rpm's like a racer, but loose some low end torque. All rider are different, but as I do spend a lot of time on the trail's..... That is important to me. I think Twlq, or Arrow headers at this point.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
but as I do spend a lot of time on the trail's..... That is important to me. I think Twlq, or Arrow headers at this point.
Same approach: best with OEM silencer & QD heasers.
With Akra you'll not lose low-end snap as per the average of aftermarket mufflers.

Have a nice mod; the best is anyway remapping BMSK: with PC, if I do remember, it's impossible to play with ignition advance timing... it tells a lot and can compensate your carbon silencer.
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Same approach: best with OEM silencer & QD heasers.
With Akra you'll not lose low-end snap as per the average of aftermarket mufflers.

Have a nice mod; the best is anyway remapping BMSK: with PC, if I do remember, it's impossible to play with ignition advance timing... it tells a lot and can compensate your carbon silencer.
I would have prefers to reflash the bmsk as well, and since the pc-5 don't offer the ignition control. Specially. But it is what it is, and I am willing to yank it all off, if it does not go well. We shal see.

Erling
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
halfcabnut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Flow

Why not gut the cat to obtain free flow? Has factory look flows straight threw ,With no bash plate problems?
Just a thought ..
halfcabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcabnut View Post
Why not gut the cat to obtain free flow? Has factory look flows straight threw ,With no bash plate problems?
Just a thought ..
I thought of same thing. Remove pipes, cut cat, have shop re-weld straight pipe. Eliminate weight, gain some possible power, and a fraction of the cost
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
I thought of same thing. Remove pipes, cut cat, have shop re-weld straight pipe. Eliminate weight, gain some possible power, and a fraction of the cost
did the same for mine.... been running it that way since 600 miles

cut and welded it up all myself though
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Regarding cut and reweld....It is a tempting prospect, and several have done it. A few concerns I have, is that at that spot, or should I say bend, if you have any blow through with the weld, you have a chance for creating a hot spot. If I had a TIG, and knew how to use it, I most likely would do just that. Also having a sudden big chamber empty could mess with the pulses, as rapid expansion, and compression off the gasses on the other side..... That is just speculation, but I know how important good flow is through headers. I am stuck with a mig, and a stick. I dont trust anyone to do a good enough weld.... Second thought, I do have one guy in mind in socal, who I does some Carbon work for...... Hmmmmm..... Now ya got me thinking.....

Erling
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #24
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

It's hard to believe you haven't the chance to reflash... after all it's the same ECU of BMW cars.
Here http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...ina-F800/page8 there's a friend who reflashed (by himself) via BDM port his 650GS: pls look @ post #383.
Red is OEM; light blue is modified IAT and blue is remapped.
Reflashing is surely the best smiles-per-buck option to gain performance: you have the convenience to investigate better to go thru this solution.

Quote:
I am willing to yank it all off, if it does not go well.
No worries, then: you'll be anyway satisfied.

Gaspare screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 01:46 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #25
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's hard to believe you haven't the chance to reflash... after all it's the same ECU of BMW cars.
Here http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...ina-F800/page8 there's a friend who reflashed (by himself) via BDM port his 650GS: pls look @ post #383.
Red is OEM; light blue is modified IAT and blue is remapped.
Reflashing is surely the best smiles-per-buck option to gain performance: you have the convenience to investigate better to go thru this solution.

No worries, then: you'll be anyway satisfied.
I am clueless as of how to reflash the ecu. Well, sort of. But for me that is not an option. I would prefer that over inserting another chip in the middle, but I don't think anyone has done it successfully in this country, and there are a whole lot smarter people here, than I am..... So I will leave that stone unturned.....

Erling
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Regarding cut and reweld....It is a tempting prospect, and several have done it. A few concerns I have, is that at that spot, or should I say bend, if you have any blow through with the weld, you have a chance for creating a hot spot. If I had a TIG, and knew how to use it, I most likely would do just that. Also having a sudden big chamber empty could mess with the pulses, as rapid expansion, and compression off the gasses on the other side..... That is just speculation, but I know how important good flow is through headers. I am stuck with a mig, and a stick. I dont trust anyone to do a good enough weld.... Second thought, I do have one guy in mind in socal, who I does some Carbon work for...... Hmmmmm..... Now ya got me thinking.....
IMHO, you're thinking way too much.

Just cut it

Gut it

Reweld it and enjoy whatever performance gain it provides.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #27
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Quote:
I don't think anyone has done it successfully in this country, and there are a whole lot smarter people here, than I am.....
No doubt there're experts over there... anyway, even for cars, most of workshops are used to send .ori files to specialized engineering studies to manipulate the maps.
Mainly is matter of experience... and availability of a bench to build up this experience.

Then, in a month time I'll remap mine, and I'll tell how it is, with all the available details onto procedure...

Then part II: you're right about the RAM effect... it's not speculation.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'm running the TWALCOM/QD headers with ADV-spec crash bars & skid plate. Skidplate had to be modified to fit. Search my username for more info.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
IMHO, you're thinking way too much.

Gut it

Reweld it and enjoy whatever performance gain it provides.
This is probably a crazy idea, but what's the composition of the material inside the cat? Would there be any way to go in thru the end of the pipe with a borescope and something like a four prong spring loaded wire pickup tool and pluck out a channel thru the cat? I'm guessing it's probably too dense and or rigid for that, but don't know. Possibly a dremel flex shaft tool might also be an option?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #30
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttele View Post
This is probably a crazy idea, but what's the composition of the material inside the cat? Would there be any way to go in thru the end of the pipe with a borescope and something like a four prong spring loaded wire pickup tool and pluck out a channel thru the cat? I'm guessing it's probably too dense and or rigid for that, but don't know. Possibly a dremel flex shaft tool might also be an option?
I think the only way to perform a clean job is open it up. The stuff is way too rigid for any type of a flexible tool.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote