ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
boasjohn OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Bucks county pa
Oddometer: 28
Floor anchors

Anybody using a kryptonite or other brand of floor anchor to secure bike in garage
boasjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer
 
Jazz62's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Oddometer: 992
Because two of my neighbors are known thieves
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
motu
Loose Pre Unit
 
motu's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 4,445
Only 2 ? Half my town are known thieves...the other half are known for receiving stolen goods.

I use an Abus anchor. Actually now I'm using a really heavy duty over centre stand dynabolted to the floor, wheel chained to bike, another chain from wheel to stand. They can easily unbolt the stand, but it will need 4 off them to carry the bike and all the stuff chained to the front wheel. Just slowing them down. If they have the time they can use my gas plant to cut the chains....but then they have to find, and then figure out how to use a Henrob gas axe.


I could change neighbourhoods, but then I'd have to come back just to buy drugs, it's so much easier to walk next door.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Cataract2
Where to?
 
Cataract2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: N. Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,585
There is only one thief in my town. Everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back.
__________________
People who get made because they're old, haven't lived.
Cataract2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by boasjohn View Post
Anybody using a kryptonite or other brand of floor anchor to secure bike in garage
I installed a Kryptonite last year. It comes with masonry drills, but you really need a dedicated hammer drill to do it properly. If you don't have a big one, rent one. When you go to drill and set the anchors, do it EXACTLY as the instructions say. You drill a small pilot hole, then enlarge it with the big drill. Set the first anchor and bolt the base down. Drill the pilot hole for the second one through the hole in the base, then swing the base aside and enlarge it. Set the second anchor and bolt the base down with two bolts. Repeat for the third bolt. This will ensure that the holes will line up properly.

Now bolt the base down with all 3 bolts and tighten securely. There are 3 hardened steel balls. Drive one into the hex recess of each bolt to prevent removal. Install the plastic cover.

I used a shop vac with a small hose taped on to suck the cement dust out of the holes

Don't skimp on the chain and lock. I use the Kryptonite New York Fahgeddaboutit units.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
what car??
down the road
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 370
Wow, that sucks if you feel you need to bolt your bike in your own garage. Could just get a big angry dog (not angry with you though ), there, now you have your bike covered, don't have to worry about extra keys, and you have a friend. Or you could rig your garage door with household electric current to shock anyone that desires to get in.

But you might want to post a warning sign to assist in getting out of a lawsuit that might incur if the douchebag thief tries to bring one up against you. Shitty how that might work. Said douchebag tries to steal from those that are productive citizens and sometimes seems to have the upper hand in court. WTF is our court system doing
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
Wow, that sucks if you feel you need to bolt your bike in your own garage. Could just get a big angry dog (not angry with you though ), there, now you have your bike covered, don't have to worry about extra keys, and you have a friend. Or you could rig your garage door with household electric current to shock anyone that desires to get in.

But you might want to post a warning sign to assist in getting out of a lawsuit that might incur if the douchebag thief tries to bring one up against you. Shitty how that might work. Said douchebag tries to steal from those that are productive citizens and sometimes seems to have the upper hand in court. WTF is our court system doing
The idea is to make it difficult enough that he'll go steal someone else's stuff and I won't have to deal with him my way, which wouldn't be pleasant.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
boasjohn OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Bucks county pa
Oddometer: 28
Thanks for the info
boasjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 226
Not really a bad idea. The alarm on the house does not have a sensor for the outside garage door. It will work if they try to get into the house from the garage. The opener does not have a relay and deadbolt on the car door to the garage. Most don't Most just don't understand just how easy it is to manually open a door that is closed with a automatic opener and not locked. A coat hanger and a few seconds is all you need.

Google it and see the videos on YouTube. Locking your bike in the garage is not a bad idea except for the PITA of unlocking it to move it or ride it. At least you will have it when you want to ride though.

good measure....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend_warrior View Post
Not really a bad idea. The alarm on the house does not have a sensor for the outside garage door. It will work if they try to get into the house from the garage. The opener does not have a relay and deadbolt on the car door to the garage. Most don't Most just don't understand just how easy it is to manually open a door that is closed with a automatic opener and not locked. A coat hanger and a few seconds is all you need.

Google it and see the videos on YouTube. Locking your bike in the garage is not a bad idea except for the PITA of unlocking it to move it or ride it. At least you will have it when you want to ride though.

good measure....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
If you want a quick and easy alarm, use a baby monitor between the garage and bedroom.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer
 
Contevita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gulfport, MS
Oddometer: 2,771
Before you purchase a chain to secure the bike to the ground, you should watch this vid on how easy some of these are cut...

Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 226
Yes, It's called theft deterrent not prevention. If they want it they will get it eventually. Someone gets into your garage they are likely planning on rolling the bike away not having cutters. I don't have a 4 foot handle bolt cutter like that anywhere in my garage.

If they are experienced and work in pairs. A single person is going to have to leave the tool behind due to the size. Making it harder than just an easy roll away.

Securing a building and locking inside is better than just keeping in a building or just locking it outside.

You make it a PITA to steal and it will likely still be there when you get back.
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Before you purchase a chain to secure the bike to the ground, you should watch this vid on how easy some of these are cut...

Notice that there's a rubber pad on the floor that won't exist anywhere else. That keeps the lower handle from skidding around on the floor. Also, you're not going to find that size and quality of bolt clipper at the local Harbor Freight.

You don't understand the term "deterrent". To the average thief, the chain and anchor would constitute a secure arrangement because he wouldn't have the equipment or time to defeat it and the deadbolted garage door. At the worst, the alarm in my bedroom would have me out the back door in seconds with ten rounds of buckshot to take care of business. In this state, my home is by law my castle all the way to the lot lines, and I'm allowed to defend it.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014