User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
JCH4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Protecting your Plated KTM

Live in urban area and getting a plated KTM with no steering lock or keyed ignition. Would like to hold onto it longer than the first night. What is the best way to protect your KTM from theft? Is it easy adding keyed ignition? What is best way in addition to keyed ignition to keep someone from walking away with your orange bike? I spent a couple of years in DC and it was not uncommon to see a motorcycle lying on its side in the street with a screwdriver stuck in ignition. Any and all advice appreciated.
JCH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH4
Live in urban area and getting a plated KTM with no steering lock or keyed ignition. Would like to hold onto it longer than the first night. What is the best way to protect your KTM from theft? Is it easy adding keyed ignition? What is best way in addition to keyed ignition to keep someone from walking away with your orange bike? I spent a couple of years in DC and it was not uncommon to see a motorcycle lying on its side in the street with a screwdriver stuck in ignition. Any and all advice appreciated.
I suspect you wanted to post this in thumpers (since it sounds like thats what you have).

But, I can tell you from bitter experience, that the steering lock and keyed ignition are no obstacle to theft. We had almost 1 per week being stolen here in London - all with the same technique - and its nothing fancy. Your average, garden-variety teanage dirtbag knows it. I can defeat it in under a minute and ride your bike away.

The only thing thats going to slow them down is a good chain. Not one that looks good - but one that is designed for this purpose. Most of the ones sold as security chains in stores are cheese. (Forget about cables, or D-shackles)

Here is a thread I posted a while back
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275716
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Here's the way it works. If I can see it, and I don't have to enter a building to get it, I can figure out a way to steal it... simple as that.

If you can't hide it, as mooky suggests, the most serious quality of chain and lock you can get... running thru a steel post, sunk and concreted into the ground.
If you can't do the security post, then the next most largest, strongest, most permanently attached thing you can find... like a phone pole for example.

If all you do is chain it to itself, then all I do is come along in a van with two buddies, pick the whole thing up, toss it in the van... and ease on down the road.

C
Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
JCH4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
What about LoJacks(sp?) for motorcycles?
JCH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
chain it to a hungry pit bull and buy a shotgun.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
dglmgusmc
PIRATE Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer
chain it to a hungry pit bull and buy a shotgun.
thats why i wanna take my bullie with me. you can take my bike but if you do he is comin with you.... attached to your arm, leg, neck or face. what ever he grabs first!!
dglmgusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Here's what I do;

First you need:

A large pistol holster
Several empty shell casings.
Some chalk
Police tape (Crime Scene - Do not Cross)
Some ketchup packets from your favorite fast food emporium

Park bike in large parking space with plenty of room around it. Place large pistol holster on seat. Draw a chalk outline of a person on the ground next to the bike. Throw the shell casings on the ground a couple feet away from the chalk outline. Squirt a large amount of ketchup in the chalk outline. String the police tape around the area.

Voila! Theft deterrent. If you're really paranoid, get an alarm hooked up. If you get someone brave enough to take a shot at it anyway, as soon as that alarm goes off, they'll be doing the 100 yard nonchalant dash.

Az
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,014
Just don't stop riding it.

You could put a key on it. But at 250 lbs someone could just pick it up and carry it off.

I guess that some things were never ment to be in New York City.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Here's what I do;

First you need:

A large pistol holster
Several empty shell casings.
Some chalk
Police tape (Crime Scene - Do not Cross)
Some ketchup packets from your favorite fast food emporium

Park bike in large parking space with plenty of room around it. Place large pistol holster on seat. Draw a chalk outline of a person on the ground next to the bike. Throw the shell casings on the ground a couple feet away from the chalk outline. Squirt a large amount of ketchup in the chalk outline. String the police tape around the area.

Voila! Theft deterrent. If you're really paranoid, get an alarm hooked up. If you get someone brave enough to take a shot at it anyway, as soon as that alarm goes off, they'll be doing the 100 yard nonchalant dash.

Az
That's creative, funny and twisted

you'll fit in here.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
What about LoJacks(sp?) for motorcycles?
For a car that is parked on the street, it usually takes a couple of days for the police to find it. That's if they have the equipment and are looking. Dunno if they will enter a building to go after it.

In any case, care to lay odds that it won't be trashed by then?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Even the best chain/lock is no deterrant if a somebody wants to
steal your bike. Heard of professionals who pour liquid nitrogen on
your hardend steel chain/cables and then shatter it with a hammer.

Couple of guys pick the bike up and throw it into the back of a truck and its gone.

I park mine at work where I can see it out the window. And I keep an eye
on it all day long.

DS/Converted Dirtbikes are easy pickins. They're lightweight - even if the
forks are locked and they're not chained, they can pick them up and make off with them in minutes.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Even the best chain/lock is no deterrant if a somebody wants to
steal your bike. Heard of professionals who pour liquid nitrogen on
your hardend steel chain/cables and then shatter it with a hammer.
I have one of these:

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scree...4003318100222m

Liquid nitrogen won't work on these because they're both cable and hardened links. This also makes them almost impossible to cut with hacksaw, sawzall, or bolt cutters.

A good lock is certainly a deterrant. It may not be infallible, but any stout lock can make a thief move on to the next target.

And +1 to what everyone's said about not relying on ignition and fork locks and locking to a solid object.

Az
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
What about LoJack for motorcycles?
They market if for motorcycles. But you want to deter a thief, or stop them in the act, not catch them afterward the fact eh? Does LoJack deter thieves?

There is at least one good, or at least entertaining, thread on thumper protection:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362826

Check out Post #16, regarding the pager alarm... which would also apply to any method that does not immobilize your bike. Maybe a loud siren might help in some situations (except the fellas heaving it into the running van), so did anyone mention Xena Locks?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
underkill
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
I had the keyed kill switch from Sicass racing on my old KTM. (easy install and imho worth it for a little piece of mind) It would keep someone from just starting the bike and riding away, but as stated before they can still just pick your shit up and throw it in a truck... I've had 2 bikes stolen before, so now I have insurance on everything I own... I'd suggest do all you can to keep it from being stolen (big chain, pit bull, etc) but get insurance on it so if it does dissapear, you at least aren't out a whole lot and can just go get another one...

What I learned from my bikes is the easiest way to keep it from being stolen is to keep it out of sight. 2 kids had been driving by and saw our bikes in the garage and came back one night to get them... Had we kept the garage door closed they would have shopped elsewhere... It wouldn't hurt to get the rattiest bike cover you can find just to keep people from not noticing it. I had the cheap ratty autozone special car cover on my race car for over a year and it does do a lot in keeping people from thinking theres something special sitting in the driveway. Couldn't hurt!

Good luck!
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
If I can see it, and I don't have to enter a building to get it, I can figure out a way to steal it... simple as that.
Admission of a mis-spent youth...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote