Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
GR2SA OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Greece to South America

Greetings ADV riders

My name is John, living in Greece.
One of my goals is to ride South America, hence the purpose of this thread (and also the nickname GR2SA: Greece to South America).

As far as long trips are concerned I'm experienced rider, having riden a big part of Europe but this one is different, bigger, longer, more difficult.

I've read here quite a few ride reports (and the relative blogs, where available) such as:

"Same as it ever was…heading to Latin America" by Misery Goat
"Jammin thru the Global South" by Jammin
"Trails of South America (PtI)... a photo journal" by JediMaster
"One day… you have to live your dream. Solo through South America" by Pumpy
"Canada to Argentina 2010" by betitolara
"From Deadhorse Down - A journey through North, Central and South America..." by DirtyBones
"No Fumar Español: South from San Diego" by crashmaster
"Corporate Runaways - Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs" by Dachary
"That I may die Roaming..." by Oisin
"Argentina to Alaska in a year! " by aurel

just to name a few, gathering info regarding general areas of interest, routes, places to visit, road conditions, what to expect etc in South America. I believe I have a made a firm "big picture" in my mind for this trip.

Given the circumstances, available time and resources, the basic idea is to "land" in Buenos Aires, Argentina in February (can't do it any sooner than that), ride south to TDF, then head north riding between Argentina and Chile (carettera austral). Reach the northern areas of these 2 countries, then enter Bolivia and visit Salar de Uyuni. Next would be Peru and then Equador and Colombia.

One thought is to terminate the trip in Colombia, shipping the bike from there back to Greece. Another (if time allows for it) to cross the Darien Gap, and terminate the trip in Panama.

Knowing my skills and stamina and having taken into consideration average daily miles riden on tarmac and on dirt (ripio), I have estimated a timeline of roughly 3 months for the whole trip. I know it can be done for less and miss a lot of good stuff, I also know I should allow more time to see even more stunning places! But 3 months is the limit. I understand that within this timeline I will be riding in rainy season in Equador and Colombia.

Anyway, the biggest problem, a real huge obstacle to overcome, is the logistics of the bike. It seems like impossible to ship the bike from Greece to Argentina with a reasonable cost (let's say, that would be something around 1500$ by airfreight).

If I was somewhere in Western Europe that would be easier. But now, here, in the southeastern side of the Mediterranean, that shipment is giving me an unbelievable trouble, and I'm short of solutions. I'm not saying it cannot be done. It can, it is just freaking costly. I got a price quote from a freight forwarder for 3000 euros for the bike! (F800GS).

I will keep inquiring, hopefuly I find something good and start posting here a ride report, giving back to this community something, as I have learned a lot from inmates.
GR2SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
GR2SA OP
n00b

So, the logistics did alter the plans inevitably... Since the airfreight cost is a deal breaker for the time being, the next time window for the trip is going to be September/October - November/December and the bike will be sent via freightercruiser.

My only concern now is, how harsh is to going to be in Patagonia and in Tierra del Fuego at this time of year (September) ? Is it doable or not?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR2SA View Post
So, the logistics did alter the plans inevitably... Since the airfreight cost is a deal breaker for the time being, the next time window for the trip is going to be September/October - November/December and the bike will be sent via freightercruiser.

My only concern now is, how harsh is to going to be in Patagonia and in Tierra del Fuego at this time of year (September) ? Is it doable or not?
Here you go, have a look at the history for the months you want

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Dumb question. Can't you just ride the bike to somewhere it is cheaper to ship from like maybe Rome or even the Atlantic coast of France?

I can see where weather could be a problem with winter/summer swapped around between Europe and southern South America.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
GR2SA OP
n00b

- Slowphil
Thanks, I've researched about temperature and precipitation averages. But sometimes numbers can't tell the whole picture of what's actually going on down there, so I was wondering if someone had personal experience with that time of year in Patagonia.

- wbbnm,
no dumb question at all. With the initial plan, riding from Greece to the west coast of Europe during the European Winter is not that easy. Also, to transport the bike there and then get an airfreight price quote does not bring the overall cost down. So, with the new time target of September (or October), I will ride a month earlier to France or Belgium and embark in a freightercruiser with Grimaldi. They charge 340 euros for the bike and there are no extra port handling fees, or import and customs fees upon disembarkation in Buenos Aires, because the bike is declared as "accompanying luggage" of the passenger.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
babisadve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
...did u check this
babisadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
the posting dates are confusing! Is it from this year? How did it end? The freight price sounds very interesting!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote