Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
DaveNBPT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cross Country Routes Feedback

Hello,

My friend and I are looking for some tips/guidance regarding an upcoming cross-country trip. We plan to leave coastal Massachusetts on may 8th and return approximately may 28th. Our destination is San Francisco. I have attached our proposed routes, however as the ride planner conveys, we are not planning on riding the primary interstates(to the greatest possible extent). We would like input from the following:

• weather conditions for this time of year
  • scenic secondary highways/roads
  • must sees/points of interest
  • any other tips/advice/feedback
I'm sure there's tons of experience here and I'd like to draw off that. Thank you very much!

Dave

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...5&locale=en_US
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
it's a long ride in 20 days

You've asked a huge question. I did quickly looked at your route, but first tell us a bit about yourselves.
...... bikes, experience, skill level, gps, camping .... ?
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,629
That's a lot of miles for 20 days. You'll be pretty limited to how much you can stop and see. And that's without taking any days off.

If you're really set on riding something like the route you propose, you'll probably have to bend your interstate rule for a few sections. If you can knock out a couple of 500-600 miles days, that'll give you time to slow down and see stuff on other days.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
DaveNBPT OP
Adventurer

Me:
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited...my 6th bike. despite this being my 6th bike, I have not done many long trips. The longest trip has been about 700 miles in 36 hours(AZ to San Diego). Although not a novice, I consider myself and intermediate rider. My bike is fully equipped with touring features and i have a GPS. We plan on camping 50% of the time(weather permitting). I have Gerbing heated gloves as well as a heated jacket liner. I also have nice, high visibilityrain gear.

My friend:
Rides a (?) 2009 R1200 GS Adventure. he has a lot of long trips under his belt. I consider him to be an expert/advanced rider. He also has a fully equipped bike with the large panniers.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,774
You have lots of interstate on that route, and a boring route from Yellowstone to Reno.

Here are a few good cycle touring roads, if you can fit them in.

Try to get Beartooth Hwy on your route. Big snow walls will be dramatic, if it is open. WY hwy 14 is good, also.

No really good way to get from Yellowstone to Craters. You gotta cross the tater fields. So go to Blackfoot and visit the Potato Museum. You know you want to. Head north to Arco in the evening, if possible. This is where Nuc ! is located. Envision those atomic bug movies from the 1950's

Supper at Pickles, KD's, next door, is a nice reasonably priced motel. Camping at entrance to Craters.

See Craters at dawn. See how it works out. You can get a good feel for this park in a couple hours, if you are in a hurry.

West out of Craters. Keep bearing west to Mountain Home. South out of Mt Home is the best pave cycle road south out of ID. Mostly straight, a few curves, but really empty and scenic.

At the Interstate (Elko) make a jog and continue south to Eureka, then west to Reno. (first choice)
Or, jog to Battle Ground, then south to Austin and west to Reno. These are high sagebrush ranch lands.

When you come out of Yosemite. There may be snow to deal with on Tioga. Lee Vining has nice small motels.
Head east out of Lee Vining to Benton then south to reconnect with 395. Again, no traffic and scenic.

I recommend going out the south end of Death Valley. (Hwy 95 is very boring) South on Badwater Road (178) to Shoshone. A slower paved road with blind corners, but very much worth the effort. Continue to Vegas.

None of these roads is faster, but they aren't much slower either. A couple of the jogs will break up the drone of freeway riding.

Northwest weather is wet until mid June. Yellowstone and Yosemite will be the cold snowy spots. You are riding in a lot of desert, so you shouldn't have much trouble. Just watch the high passes, Make sure they are open a day before you get there. That way you can adjust your route.

Have a good ride.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
DaveNBPT OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
You have lots of interstate on that route, and a boring route from Yellowstone to Reno.

Here are a few good cycle touring roads, if you can fit them in.

Try to get Beartooth Hwy on your route. Big snow walls will be dramatic, if it is open. WY hwy 14 is good, also.

No really good way to get from Yellowstone to Craters. You gotta cross the tater fields. So go to Blackfoot and visit the Potato Museum. You know you want to. Head north to Arco in the evening, if possible. This is where Nuc ! is located. Envision those atomic bug movies from the 1950's

Supper at Pickles, KD's, next door, is a nice reasonably priced motel. Camping at entrance to Craters.

See Craters at dawn. See how it works out. You can get a good feel for this park in a couple hours, if you are in a hurry.

West out of Craters. Keep bearing west to Mountain Home. South out of Mt Home is the best pave cycle road south out of ID. Mostly straight, a few curves, but really empty and scenic.

At the Interstate (Elko) make a jog and continue south to Eureka, then west to Reno. (first choice)
Or, jog to Battle Ground, then south to Austin and west to Reno. These are high sagebrush ranch lands.

When you come out of Yosemite. There may be snow to deal with on Tioga. Lee Vining has nice small motels.
Head east out of Lee Vining to Benton then south to reconnect with 395. Again, no traffic and scenic.

I recommend going out the south end of Death Valley. (Hwy 95 is very boring) South on Badwater Road (178) to Shoshone. A slower paved road with blind corners, but very much worth the effort. Continue to Vegas.

None of these roads is faster, but they aren't much slower either. A couple of the jogs will break up the drone of freeway riding.

Northwest weather is wet until mid June. Yellowstone and Yosemite will be the cold snowy spots. You are riding in a lot of desert, so you shouldn't have much trouble. Just watch the high passes, Make sure they are open a day before you get there. That way you can adjust your route.

Have a good ride.
Awesome, much appreciated response. A wealth of information...exactly what we are looking for. Thank you!

Dave