Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
grako122 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
US eastcoast - Canada - US westcoast

Hey everybody,

with this post I say hello to everyone on this forum! :)

A friend of mine (25) and I (24) are leaving germany this march for a one-year trip through north america.
We already got the flights booked and the motorcycles will go on the ship 8th of february.

The current plan is to start in Florida, ride along the east coast northbound for about 2 or 3 months and then go to canada.
In canada we will have a "working holiday visa" which allows us to stay and work there for up to 12 months.
After a couple months (probably max. 6 months) we plan to ride down the west coast fo the US for up to 3 months and either end our trip in florida or (if the money lasts) go to mexico and see from there.

My biggest concern at the moment is the insurance of our bikes.
Can anyone recommend a good insurance company for Non-Residents?
As far as I know, a lot of those companies only insure for up to 6 months....

Our bikes are 2 Harley Davidson Sportsters licensed in germany.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Jonas
grako122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,952
You might have better luck that time of year staying south and riding west. February is one of the colder months in New England. Here in Vermont it's typically single digits or teens above zero (F) with nights below zero. Typically the first motorcycles seen on the road around here are dual sports, and they are rarely seen before mid-March.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
grako122 OP
n00b

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that only our bikes leave in february. We will arrive in Florida by air on the 11th of march and hopefully be able to pick up the bikes in Jacksonville 2 days after.
From there on We will first drive as far south as we can in Florida and then somehow make our way towards Columbus, OH which is pretty much our only predetermined destination on the eastcoast as we have a couple good friends over there.

But you're right. If it will still be very cold around march/april we probably have to ride a little westbound. Those temperatures you mention really aren't what we plan to be riding at!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,193
I'm not very familiar with insurance for foriegn registered bikes, but I would imagine it can be done. I use Pacific Specialty insurance because they are cheap; about $110 per year for full coverage. I have also heard good things from people using Progressive Insurance, so you might try them as well.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
ajklik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
insurance your bike

He Jonas
some advice from a neighbour, dutchman, who is sending his bike to halifax this year. There are lots of sites, even in Germany who can help you insurance your bike. Most important thing is that it has to be insuranced before you can get it through customs. There is a lof of information on the horizon unlimited website also. But i will give you two links to insurance compagnies
motorcycle express http://motorcycleexpress.com/pages/USInsurance/ recommended by the Horizon unlimted Forum and progressive http://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/
If others here on the adv have better suggestions, please let me know, i did not insuranced my bike yet.
Have a good trip, halz und beinbruch
albert
ajklik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
grako122 OP
n00b

Hey albert,

thanks alot for your answer! Unfortunately motorcycleexpress doesn't insure for more than 6 months and progressive won't cover non-residents at all.
How long will your trip be?