User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
ATE Brake Pad Glue?

Does anyone glue the brake pad on the inner side of the caliper? It just spins in place as is... when I disassembled mine the PO had the pads glued. Is this common practice? What glue is used?
hoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,888
Is it a red stuff? Well sometimes it might be a different color these days. I've used the red stuff but it's not glue per say. It's anti squeal compound. It absorbs the vibration to cut down on noises the brakes otherwise make. It won't hurt but we don't use it much anymore. I didn't use anything on my Ate brakes when I put new pads on over a year ago.

Well that's what I think you have. But can't be sure. How do I know what a PO did?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 983
Can you post a pic showing what you are describing? The outer caliper pad w/out piston has a slot to stay in place along with the wire clip. For the inner pad, touching the piston, the pad has a stem with an o-ring which fits into the piston. The o-ring helps keep the pad in place when the front wheel and rotor are removed. The fork has upper and lower tangs which prevent the inner pad from spinning. Was the pad glued to the piston?

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 03:26 PM
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its the pad attached to the piston. You can see it dangling in the photo. It was really hard to remove this pad because the PO had it glued in place with some sort of glue that was a blue color. Snowbum says glue was common as a method of preventing squealing. No where does it mention glue as a way to hold the pad in place,.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

FUCK! I just realized I have the forks on backwards.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,888
Maybe the PO lost the O-ring and the glue was his attempt to hold the pad in place? If you have the clip on the outside pad and the O-ring on the inside pad you don't need glue. Try it with out the glue and see it the bike stops. Let us know.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodun View Post
FUCK! I just realized I have the forks on backwards.

Yes, it looks like the lower forks are on the wrong sides and you need to swap them. As I mentioned (and this is a recent revelation to me), the tangs keep the pad from spinning. I once thought they took the load from the rotor, but the pin on the back of the pad going into the piston does that and keeps the pad from moving. Even gluing the pad to the piston would not stop the pad from spinning because the piston can rotate in the caliper. It is good to notice these details before trying to ride the bike. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
It is good to notice these details before trying to ride the bike. Good luck!
I agree. Its also good not to do too many things at once. This is a complete break down and reassembly.

I thought everything was going too smooth. I now have to repaint the forks since the inside is now all scared up on my new paint job. I guess you have to expect these set backs when rebuilding something.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodun View Post
I agree. Its also good not to do too many things at once. This is a complete break down and reassembly.

I thought everything was going too smooth. I now have to repaint the forks since the inside is now all scared up on my new paint job. I guess you have to expect these set backs when rebuilding something.
Indeed that caliper is backasswards on the wrong side.

Things get difficult when this unique design is first addressed by the DIY Airhead. Make all parts bone dry and clean. Use Brake Grease on the backs of the pads, and a bit on the metal to metal points at the perimeter of the pad backing plate. Install oring on inner pad, then press it into the caliper puck. Press the puck all the way in. Install the outer pad with the wire clip.

When installed correctly, there is no way for a pad to turn in any way.

If the pads are more than 10 years old they are hardened. They will not work well. Replace them. Then remount the wheel.

Now you are ready to make the adjustment for pad alinement. Let us know when you are ready for that.

Make this all very easy on yourself. Contact your Airmarschall for your area. Find an Airheads Barley Therapy near you or set one up at your place. For the price of brats and beer, have decades of Airheads experience to show you how to do anything your Airhead needs without having to make all the usual errors that attack your wallet or your hide.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote