User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
hooligan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
BiLT Gear?

I keep getting Cycle Gears catalog in the mail and the adventure gear they advertise "looks" and is certainly priced right. Wondering if any of you have any first hand experience with it. The modular helmet, 3/4 jacket, pants and boots specifically.

Thanks.
03 Honda Ruckus (SOLD)
02 KLR650 (ON LOAN)
96 Honda XR650L (SOLD)
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,038
I got the boots in the mail earlier this week, my thoughts are on page 2 of this post.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840042
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
i bought the Bilt waterproof boots. My feet got soaked even though my waterproof boots hang to the heel while riding. so I will never buy anything bilt again. Also, ever time i have ever searched for brake pads at cycle gear, they have only had one set---and ever bike i have owned i n the last 20 years has used 2 sets front and one rear.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,661
I haven't been hearing very good things about BiLT gear lately. Lots of comments about their waterproof gear not being waterproof, shoddy workmanship, etc.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,038
Funny, the boots and gloves I just got in the mail are waterproof, in fact more so than much of my higher dollar gear.

I think perhaps the waterproofness fades with time, hence my older name brand stuff that leaks a little here and there now.

so these might not hold up for long, if they become non-waterproof, they will get returned, simple enough.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Just say NO!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
My brother runs the bilt modular helmet. Its ok, probably too good for the price. He likes it and fits his budget. And also rides a KLR650...

Seriously, Bilt gets people into gear who would otherwise not buy or wear gear. Its the next best thing to riding naked. I do were their pants. They are pretty decent. $90 and they keep me warm and dry and fit well. Though I commute, I don't get all up in the woods and tear stuff up.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Tatanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Over the years, I wore Vanson, Dainese, Alpinestar, Olympia, First Gear, Shoei, and most other high dollar gear, and was skeptical (and probably still am a little) about Bilt when it came out. Still, for the price, I decided to give their Explorer line a try. This was January's deal when you buy their jacket and get the pants, helmet, and gloves included.

I've bought lots of stuff from Cycle Gear and can vouch for their customer service. I'm relying on that along with Bilt's 5 year guarantee to cover me if my little experiment shows this stuff to be remotely junk.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Pesky_Dingo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I dont have any experience with their adventure stuff but I recently got a bilt leather jacket that Im really happy with. Has a stretchy material around the wrists and neckline (not an elastic band) which make it really comfortable. Back is perforated leather and jacket has full armor. I am really happy with the looks, quality and price. Its made in pakistan which is where my fieldsheer jacket was made which has saved my skin 3 times. I got leather gloves also which feel a little cheesey and I really didn't feel comfortable trying out a helmet since they only have a 7 day exchange policy on those and look cheap. If your like me and have a cycle gear near you check it out in person, it seems bilt stuff varies in quality. If you dont like it, cycle gear has been pretty good with me about returns and exchanges.

97 XT225 - AKA "Mighty Mouse"
02 Aprilia Caponord -
Pesky_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
i have a pair of their waterproof winter gloves and they're "ok"
I have a pair of their perforated summer boots and they're AWESOME
I have one of their ADV helmets and it's quickly become my favorite. nice thick shield, and a drop down sun shade. Also, surprisingly quiet!

The boots I've had... I think almost 2 years, year and a half, 20k miles ridden while wearing them. They're just now starting to wear through the soles, but that's because I rarely switch to regular shoes once I get to work.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Talking

I have the perforated summer boots and love them. Also have the freeze out one piece body suit and with it under my alpine stars perforated jacket with the liner installed I'm toasty down to 40 degrees. That said I have a friend that has bought a set of boots like mine and had to return them for another pair cause they were falling apart after 2 rides. And has also had to return pants for the same reason. I think the trick with Built is they are a new company and gaining experience in how to build things.that will get better as time goes by. Also I think they save money by having relatively low quality control so they can sell the gear at a lower price but they at least back it up with the 5 year warranty and their customer service is very good in Nashville my friend never had a problem making a return. You can get reasonable gear at bargain basement prices but you have to understand that in a way you are working quality control. Bottom line is take a chance if you want its relatively risk free, if your new item sucks take it back for the refund if nothing else its an excuse for a ride to the cycle shop so you can look around and and visit with the staff.
Eladbern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Burgh'r Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Bluhduh Who sold them my address, anyways?

That's what I'd like to know. I hate dealing with unsolicted mail. When I want gear I go looking online, not my coffee table. So , I'm wondering how they found me. I subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News and I've bought a few things online. Wonder who sold them my address...
Burgh'r Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Ever bought anything at a cycle gear?
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh'r Boy View Post
Who sold them my address, anyways? That's what I'd like to know.

I did.... sorry, I needed some french fry's and your address was worth the $0.01 I was short.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Bilt ADV pants

I was in CG today exchanging something that was the wrong size and was looking at the pants for $149.00. I decided to try on a pair. They fit good, maybe to good as it is tempting to give them a try. The sale ends next month, so I will wait a little longer to see if other gear companies have some spring specials. I do have a pair of their MX gloves and am happy with them.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote