ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilerd View Post
Ok so I'm a n00b and just found out what a TOR, and even what TOR stands for, is within the past couple days and I have to say I like it! It was cool to see how the Lair TOR passed right through my favorite mountain bike spot at Carvins Cove. Would there be any interest in a TOR centered around Roanoke with approx. 60 mile radius? I would right now suggest no rules on location except within certain boundaries, also a mascot would be fun. If the mascot was placed on top of the Roanoke star, I wouldn't get the tag, but someone might. Perhaps there would be a general rule that the mascot has to be reasonably reachable without breaking laws or risking your life, otherwise have at it? Snowy fire roads, absolutely! Chime in if you're interested folks!
First off welcome to ADV!
Second, Build it and they will come...eventually! It may be slow at first but eventually someone will move it. I started the NWVA game close to three years ago and it's had it's busy times and it's slow times. It still has produced close to 100 tags a year. Not too bad. Local games are still better than riding 300 miles to grab the VA tag or any other tag when you don't have the time or there's not one close by.
Depending on how many inmates live near Roanake(one of my favorite cities BTW!) you may want to increase the playing area a bit. Hopefully you'll get some feedback in the next few days from local inmates.

Check out the first page of the regionals games, Valley DS tag, NWVA tag, NOVA tag, Panhandles tag, for ideas for rules. Couple of things, mascots rule, picture tags suck and breaking laws, placing tags in fee areas and places that close after dusk are generally frowned upon.

You could always set a tag at the base of the star for starters and see what happens. Also, make sure you take good pics of where you place the tag and stash it good. I'm sure you already have but go thru some pages of the other games to see how the games run to get a feel for it.

Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilerd View Post
Ok so I'm a n00b and just found out what a TOR, and even what TOR stands for, is within the past couple days and I have to say I like it! It was cool to see how the Lair TOR passed right through my favorite mountain bike spot at Carvins Cove. Would there be any interest in a TOR centered around Roanoke with approx. 60 mile radius? I would right now suggest no rules on location except within certain boundaries, also a mascot would be fun. If the mascot was placed on top of the Roanoke star, I wouldn't get the tag, but someone might. Perhaps there would be a general rule that the mascot has to be reasonably reachable without breaking laws or risking your life, otherwise have at it? Snowy fire roads, absolutely! Chime in if you're interested folks!
Sure a roanoke area tag game would be cool, lets start the fun!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 3,976
I still prefer allowing file tags to place the tag instead of a mascot/no file tag allowed for local games.
but that appears to be a NC thing versus other places.
With a file tag, I can ride to the spot, grab the tag, then place the tag somewhere cool right away, instead of having to wait a day or so to place it somewhere cool, or just tagging the other side of the driveway to place it.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I personally prefer a mascot because if it's still at the tag site, you have the tag. If not, you've been bruced.
If someone comes a long later and takes a picture(tag) and has a smart phone they can bruce the player who grabbed it hours ago and may still be out "riding", setting a new tag. Not playing with their smart phone
As far as file photos, the whole point of tag games is to ride isn't it?.

So, where's the new tag?
Or someone snags the mascot, cause a kid finds it.
And then the game has an issue.

(I'm also still bitter at having to ride back up to Va in 35 degree rain to place a tag cause I forgot the no file tag rule)
;)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
You should read the first post. It's an over enthusiastic n00b asking if there is any interest in starting a game.
way to encourage the new guy!

I will grab a tag in that region from time to time. Start the game and use a mascot.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Second, Build it and they will come...

Just do it!

My Ride Reports.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 599
Lets go taggin

So Gilerd,
We are all waiting on you to post the first Roanoke area TAG..... Its your baby, get 'er rolling.

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,409
Either someone posts it...or I ride up from the deep South and post it.

Game on!

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
Alright homo's.

Wayne, you're not a SMIB, Peckerhead, BEB, or a DDB.....now you're a Homo.

Better let Goose know he's strategically positioned within the boundaries of a new Tag game.

Good luck boys, this is a fantastic riding area.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
You forgot Cat Herder and BWDR.

I assumed that meant Homo sapians.

I hope he's not calling us names. That might lead to anarchy. Or him going to ban camp.

Nobody's grabbed the dam tag yet?

Anyone know where I can get some dam bait on this dam tour!?

My Ride Reports.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
WoW!

I am grateful to see such a response folks!! First page, first post is the name of the game.

Gilerd screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:56 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Its on!

I'll set the first tag with the mascot tomorrow (Sunday the 27th). It will be the proper place for a first tag for the Star City.

Gilerd screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm

Edited.

Gilerd screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

RAT Roanoke Area Tag

I am going to start this thing with a mascot tomorrrow the 27th, at a place fitting for the Star City. If I see a couple bikes already there, I'll pretend to be a tourist
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

The Game is Set, read first post on first page

Sorry for the confusion and delay (too much Thomas the Train? Good Grief!) PM's sent to all somewhat local participants of this thread. NC folks will catch on soon enough. Alright folks its on. I currently am in possession of the Rat and the 24 hour clock has started as of 10pm tonight. This thread may dissappear and start anew out of nowhere thanks to help from the cleanup crew, but it will be clean, and ready. Currently the Rat is enjoying warm accommodations on his last night at his birthplace. I've told him that it will be cold, dark, wet, lonely at times, and dangerous on the Road. He is far braver than I and ready to depart.

Gilerd screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 09:05 PM
Closed Thread