User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
NightShadow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Ohio Area 4 few days

I am planning a few days down in the Ohio area and was wondering what are some of the best roads to ride?
I enjoy the mountains, twistys & rolling hills riding. Maybe find a nice hotel to stay at as a central point to
ride out of. One of the roads that I will be checking out is the 555.
Plan is one day to ride down - Ohio - & 2 or 3 days of riding around and 1 day to ride home.
(Ride days will be approx 400 to 600 Kil a day.)
I will be trying to loop each day to that one central point.
Reason for that is wives are caging it down and then going out with us for the day rides.

TIA
Shadow
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,356
You may want to pose your question in the Adventure in Ohio thread in Central. They will probably give you more information than you want.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Southeast Ohio has some fantastic riding. Just hit all the 3-digit state routes in SE Ohio for a start. There are also some good streches on the 2-digit route numbers too. You might base your stay in Marietta since it is on the interstate 77 and has everything you might want for amenities.

I can give you specific route ideas if you want to PM me, but the ideas above will get you planning. If you have extra time, dip into WV too. You'll love it all!

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
NightShadow OP
Adventurer

Thanks Solace

Give me a bit of time to put together a few maps & I will send you a pm
to have a look and see what you think.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
What Solace said. Marietta is a great place to base out of. Stay at the Lafayete Hotel downtown. Can't go wrong with any of the roads down here. Also the roads right accross the river are great too. By the way there are a lot nicer roads than 555 but i tdoes go clear from rte7 to Zanesville. The highways in Wayne National Forest are all great and if you do back roads they're even better.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,064
I third Marietta. Stayed their last year. From Marietta, the roads south and north east are the best. You can connect between Route 7 (ohio river) and Rt 26 all the way north east to Wheeling. Be careful, these roads are extremely curvy and have crazy elevation changes... sometimes mid corner. Our trip last year we had a guy go down on 255.

The ride south is equally as curvy but much more forgiving. Route 16 south and Route 18 north, connect in between. Great stuff.

I found 555 to be lame. As a whole the road is over rated, in poor condition, and has lots of dirt and rock patches from farm equipment. I found the Ohio River valley and the south much better.

While you are in town, check out Parkersburg, WV for cool Ohio River views and eat at the all you can eat buffet in New Martinsville, WV. Damn that place was GOOD!

My .02 cents... enjoy the ride!

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post

While you are in town, check out Parkersburg, WV for cool Ohio River views and eat at the all you can eat buffet in New Martinsville, WV. Damn that place was GOOD!

My .02 cents... enjoy the ride!

Lou
Hmmmmm Quinets! Second that.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
NightShadow OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys for the suggestions - keep them coming. If you know of really great roads post them so I can look
& maybe get them in my ride.
Marietta was one of the places I was looking at staying. I don't need anything to fancy.

Have a look at this map & see what you think?

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...39185,1.234589

The other map will be in and around Wayne national forest.

I will be heading across the 90 to 77 and then down to Marietta - approx 750 clicks from where I am starting.
Could you suggest a good cut off point before Marietta so we could have a bit of fun before we get there.

Back roads are fine as long as paved. The twister and curvier they are the better.

NightShadow screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:12 AM
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
I see you have 26, 260, 7, 800, 255, 7, 536, 78, 7, 148, 26, Stumptown Rd, 800, 26, 260, 145, 821 and I-77 back to Marietta. Great route. If I were to make any suggestions they would be to run 78 out to Clarington and then 556 back west to 145 north to 148. 556 is better than 148 out east. Then instead of running the interstate back to town when 145 hits 821, turn right at Warner and take 530 west over to route 60. Be careful, it is a short stretch but it is twisty as hell. Then 60 south back to Marietta.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
mygs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Geez, I live here (Columbus) and haven't strung so many routes together. With a friend in Westerville, we've explored much of the south eastern sections mentioned. Would love to hear from anyone if they'd like to meet up or plan something more extensive. PM me anytime and I'm there. 50 and riding a well maintained f650gs.
mygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Google "Amish area of Ohio" and look at the area below Cleveland on a map. That area while the hills are not as big as SE OH it is a nice area of farms and lots of stops for cheese(google Ohio Swiss cheese), etc.. Try the Lehman's store for some interesting hardware & old time articles. My standbay is www.motorcycleroads.us for rider tested routes . Make it on southward & spend some money in KY then eastward into WV and back north.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
deineder
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ohio Area 4 a few days

Check out Athens, Ohio area. From there you have many options. 93, 78, 83, 13. I agree w earlier post that 555 is overrated. If you stay south of a line drawn from east Cleveland to Cincinnati you will certainly have some very nice rides with nice scenery.
deineder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Your route looks great. My in-laws live on 78 just outside of Woodsfield, so I've spent a lot of time on those roads. I would also add 145 west of 78 (don't take it east of 78, too torn up last time I checked) if you have the chance. I took a friend on it recently and he described it as the best road he been on (admittedly he's not real experienced, but still..). Too bad you're not going in the fall, the colors there in October are amazing.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Oh, and listen to whatever Solace says. That guy's spent more time riding SE Ohio than some people here have on two wheels, period (me included).
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
"Meh" on 555... I don't know who compared the "Triple Nickle" to the Dragon (was told this it Ohio's version of infamous Deal's Gap), but this road is so blah. I don't remember the last time I was on it. Well, I guess it would be perfect if you ride a Harley...

I definitely agree with Solace - SE OH is the only part of the state worth riding. You can find some cool roads near New Philly, but Marietta area is where it's at.
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote