User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,806
KTM Rally - Denver to Moab to Denver.

I've received quite a few PMs asking what was up so I thought it'd be easier to discuss publicly so folks can find what works for them...

I am going to put together a ride from the Front Range out to Moab (and back).
Currently it is myself and CJRacer but I'm open to having others join us who are like minded (but not too big a group).

Schedule:

CJ Racer is going to arrive at my place Tuesday. We are departing here (Boulder County) early morning Wed - Oct 13th. It will be a full day of riding (12+ hours). We are going to do some "big stuff" depending on what is open (snow/weather) and work our way Westward - camping off the bikes Wednesday night in the mountains and then continue on to Moab arriving Thursday later afternoon/early evening.

Craig and I have a hotel room together in Moab Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights so we won't be camping while there.

After the Rally on Sunday, I'm planning on heading back and again taking two days to return - camping off the bike Sunday night and maybe even Monday night depending on weather arriving back in Boulder Tuesday.

Requirements:

I invite anyone to join us with the following thoughts in mind:

-This will be a 70/30 dirt/road ride... putting as much dirt in as we can but it'll be weather dependent... if the skies open up it could end up about 50/50... or if we get a statewide blizzard it'll be a *yawn* 100% tarmac route

-I'd highly suggest knobby tires (you might have your hands full on scorps but mefos or 908s will be fine - I think Craig and I are both running TKC front/908 rear).

-I'd highly suggest your bike has proper skid plate protection - there is the potential for lots of rocky scree and your bike needs to be ready - and your bike needs to be properly prepared. Sure breakdowns/flat tires/etc can occur but if you show up with toasted brake pads, bald tires, and a worn out chain don't expect us to wait on you while you try and find a dealer (because there ain't any where we are going )

-You need to be self contained off the bike to camp/eat/overnight ... temps could be (read: will likely be) below freezing overnight if we end up camping high up so you'd have to be prepared.

-I don't care if you are fast or if you are slow and you shouldn't care either. It is all good. Leave the ego at home; it's about enjoying each and every mile.

-You do need to be able to handle your bike in obstacles because we have some big miles to cover so we can't be walking our bikes through the pickies eh?
** i.e. this is not a N00b friendy route

-Though not n00b friendly - this will be a scenic ride with lots of photo stops. If you are in a hurry or are looking to challenge yourself over a trials-esque course or up some crazy single track; you'll be disappointed (but there is plenty of that in Moab eh? )

-Bring a good attitude! This will be an adventure and when you are tired at the end of the day changing your fourth flat tire (like Viola-tor ) you should be grinning from ear to ear wanting more and not whining cuz you have sand in yer 'giney

-That's it! I hope you can join us.

All that said; I'm not trying to discourage anyone. When riding with new friends it is difficult to know what everyone expects (especially if you aren't used to the mountains) so I'm offering up some baselines to give anyone considering joining us an idea.

Routing:

I'm planning two primary routes (one for there and one for back) and will have to keep them flexible depending on the weather. If weather is perfect the route there would be something like:

Peak to Peak Highway -> Oh My God Road -> Old Loveland Pass -> Webster Pass -> Como Road -> North Four Mile to B.V. -> Cottonwood Pass -> Cumberland Pass -> Los Pinos Pass -> Engineer Pass -> Bolem Pass -> ???utah tbd???

This route includes views like this:

The return route would be:

???utah tbd?? -> Dinosaur -> Echo Park -> Yampa Bench -> "Geek's Cross Country Adventure / Cow tracks / Private Bridge" -> Co8 -> North Park dirt route -> Trail Ridge Road in RMNP... but if the weather really was great I might also throw in some more exploration of the Snowy Mountain Range in Southern Wyoming

This route includes things like this:

So anyone interested?

See the rest of you gents there

Geek screwed with this post 09-30-2010 at 02:55 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,222
Would love to join

Cant go till thursday. Have to take family to airport on the day you are leaving...e
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Hi Geek!

Four flats, yeah, and I did love every minute! (and thanks for the inner tube!)

I wish I could jump in with you guys on this one, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Have fun! There's a chance I could hit Moab in Nov., still in the works...

Diek
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
highmark1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Not going but just wondering where Old Loveland Pass is? Thanks
highmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Sometimes I make up my own names for passes to differentiate from other passes in my head as to not mix them up.

For example I call the Cottonwood Pass between Winter Park and Hot Sulphur Springs "Little Cottonwood Pass" to differentiate it from "Big Cottonwood Pass" which is the pass between Buena Vista and Taylor Park.

i.e. just ignore me.. I know where I mean most the time
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
I wish I could jump in with you guys on this one, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Have fun! There's a chance I could hit Moab in Nov., still in the works...

Diek
Only problem with Moab in November is you need a trailer to get through Colorado because Vail & Loveland will be under snow. Of course being from Texas you'd just mozy on through New Mexico I suppose.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew
Cant go till thursday. Have to take family to airport on the day you are leaving...e
Unfortunately if we left Thursday we wouldn't get there until Friday night and would have missed a day of the rally.

Feel free to join me on the ride home if your schedule allows though?

See you there
Old 10-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Anyone know which trail this is? Its the first one I'm going to ride when I get there

Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,222
Its

Cane creek counter clockwize . No 950 ride for sure.

ebrew screwed with this post 10-01-2010 at 06:11 PM
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Wow. The ride you are planning to and from will be better than the riding at the rally if the weather permits. Im out of Las Vegas, but for you to offer to be a tour guide of sorts for someone wanting an epic ride to the rally is generous. Thats the kind of "private tour" that many riders pay thousands for. Hope a few are smart enough to take you up on it.

Did you guys receive any info from KTM on the logistics of the rally? All I received is "we got your check, see you there". No schedule, staging area locaions, things you will need, etc. Did I miss it somehow

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew
Cane creek counter clockwize . No 950 ride for sure.
Not trying to be a wiener but I didn't see anything there that looked that difficult. Did I miss something? Three of us will be on SE's and interested in the technical stuff. Your input is appreciated by the way
Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Kane Creek Canyon for sure- my favorite trail in Moab. And doable on a 950. Ugly, but doable. If you do it starting from Kane Creek Road heading Southeast the trail will gradually get tougher and tougher the closer you get to highway 191, so if you hit something that's too ugly you can just double back. FYI-there is a super fun bypass that goes around an ugly ledgy section- take it.......Geek, might be able to join you for the ride to Moab. Was planning on trailering but your plan sounds like alot more fun.....unless it's snowing....

BoulderGuy screwed with this post 10-02-2010 at 07:12 AM
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGuy
Kane Creek Canyon for sure- my favorite trail in Moab. And doable on a 950. Ugly, but doable. If you do it starting from Kane Creek Road heading Southeast the trail will gradually get tougher and tougher the closer you get to highway 191, so if you hit something that's too ugly you can just double back. FYI-there is a super fun bypass that goes around an ugly ledgy section- take it.......Geek, might be able to join you for the ride to Moab. Was planning on trailering but your plan sounds like alot more fun.....unless it's snowing....
Cool, very cool! Thanks for the response. The three of us ride in some pretty nasty stuff on the big bikes here in New England. Wet roots, rocks, mile long mud pits, mossy covered rocky climbs and loamy woods trails are pretty much the norm, The nice dry, sandy and rocky stuff looks like a well deserved treat
Old 10-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 458
Route

Edward,
I will keep tabs on the thread, but feel free to send me your route when you finalize it. I have (believe it) jury duty that will leave me in limbo until a few days prior to your leaving. It is likely I will find a Red Desert route thru Wyoming that will drop me into Colorado via Dinosaur and come up with a dirt route to Moab from there. Not likely to meet up, but you never know.

Doug
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
Geek OP
oot & aboot

You have any time after Moab Doug? We could put together a fun route home