Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Rubani bushman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New 2013 XR650L project

Hello folks! First post here...

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post and for asking questions that have been asked/answered hundreds of times. I'm just trying to get the right information all in one place for simple folks like myself!

I just bought a 2013 XR650L. It's my third 650L over the years, (also did a XR 400R) but my first total uncork on a new bike. Right now, I'm working on going through the break-in period and afterwords - let the wrenching begin!

I've been out of the loop (read "have not ridden) for about 7 years. So, not sure I know the latest (best) direction to head on some of the upgrades. I'd truly appreciate any input you may have on the areas listed below. Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm out working for the next month and have limited access to Internet, so my replies may be delayed a bit.

Carburetor:
On my last bike modification (an XR400R) I went with a Mikuni from XR's Only. I was pleased with it. However, for the 650L I'm considering a Keihin FCR 41 Kit from Sudco. Any thoughts or advice on this or any better recommendations?

Header/Exhaust
On my last bike mod (XR 400R) I also went with the XR's Only exhaust. I was pleased with this as well. But, based the posts I've been reading, it seems most folks are using an FMF pipe and header. I had a Supertrapp on my first 650L and liked the XR's only one I used on the 400R. Need some advice on which is the best to use these days. (Yeah, I've been out of it for awhile......)

Intake
Will do the standard snorkel, Uni Filter, and smog block off mods. Any other recommended areas to address?

Sprockets
I want just a little more top end without winding the bike out so much. This 650L will be used primarily for on-road riding, unlike my previous ones. Advice on sprocket combination to accomplish this?

Tires
Dunlop 606's the way to go?

Tail light/license plate holder
There has got to be something to do about this. I have seen smaller XR type lights, but with no license plate holder. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for all the help and advice. I know a lot of this has been discussed ad nauseam, but wanted to get it all in one place for simple folk like myself. Thanks!

RB
Rubani bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb I have your solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubani bushman View Post
Hello folks! First post here...

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post and for asking questions that have been asked/answered hundreds of times. I'm just trying to get the right information all in one place for simple folks like myself!

I just bought a 2013 XR650L. It's my third 650L over the years, (also did a XR 400R) but my first total uncork on a new bike. Right now, I'm working on going through the break-in period and afterwords - let the wrenching begin!

I've been out of the loop (read "have not ridden) for about 7 years. So, not sure I know the latest (best) direction to head on some of the upgrades. I'd truly appreciate any input you may have on the areas listed below. Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm out working for the next month and have limited access to Internet, so my replies may be delayed a bit.

Carburetor:
On my last bike modification (an XR400R) I went with a Mikuni from XR's Only. I was pleased with it. However, for the 650L I'm considering a Keihin FCR 41 Kit from Sudco. Any thoughts or advice on this or any better recommendations?

Header/Exhaust
On my last bike mod (XR 400R) I also went with the XR's Only exhaust. I was pleased with this as well. But, based the posts I've been reading, it seems most folks are using an FMF pipe and header. I had a Supertrapp on my first 650L and liked the XR's only one I used on the 400R. Need some advice on which is the best to use these days. (Yeah, I've been out of it for awhile......)

Intake
Will do the standard snorkel, Uni Filter, and smog block off mods. Any other recommended areas to address?

Sprockets
I want just a little more top end without winding the bike out so much. This 650L will be used primarily for on-road riding, unlike my previous ones. Advice on sprocket combination to accomplish this?

Tires
Dunlop 606's the way to go?

Tail light/license plate holder
There has got to be something to do about this. I have seen smaller XR type lights, but with no license plate holder. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for all the help and advice. I know a lot of this has been discussed ad nauseam, but wanted to get it all in one place for simple folk like myself. Thanks!

RB
For simple folk, or ANY folk, everything you could ever want to know about the XR650L, and any product made for it, or any mod ever done, lies here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4834&page=3478
Welcome, and enjoy
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Rubani bushman OP
n00b

ST,

Thanks for the reply and link! Checking it out now!

RB
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Welcome to the Jungle!
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
For simple folk, or ANY folk, everything you could ever want to know about the XR650L, and any product made for it, or any mod ever done, lies here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4834&page=3478
Welcome, and enjoy
You are absolutely right, there is more combined experience and knowledge on that thread about the XR650L than even Honda themselves knows. Only problem is that the truely good stuff is buried in thousands of pages of arguing, nonsense, research & development and so on. And its the same people discussing the same things. I have posted questions and comments there before only to have my post buried in comments about the latest fad or whatever and never got an answer. Its a fantastic resource if you are clever enough to pick the right search term. Happy hunting.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
You are absolutely right, there is more combined experience and knowledge on that thread about the XR650L than even Honda themselves knows. Only problem is that the truely good stuff is buried in thousands of pages of arguing, nonsense, research & development and so on. And its the same people discussing the same things. I have posted questions and comments there before only to have my post buried in comments about the latest fad or whatever and never got an answer. Its a fantastic resource if you are clever enough to pick the right search term. Happy hunting.
Thats a good point, the search engine here is weak at best, but some of the experienced searchers mentioned using google to search the thread....much more thorough I'm told. But you're right, buried in those thousands of pages is the answer to any question a person could ever have concerning the XRL. I know its saved me mucho money and tons of time and labor....a very valuable free resource indeed
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post

Its a fantastic resource if you are clever enough to pick the right search term. Happy hunting.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=xr650l+index

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
See what I mean? You have a question, somebody here will have an answer
Heck I've never even used that index thread.......yet
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Rubani bushman OP
n00b

An ha! That's what I'm looking for! Thanks for the link! Perfect! A wealth of knowledge indeed!!

RB
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubani bushman View Post
An ha! That's what I'm looking for! Thanks for the link! Perfect! A wealth of knowledge indeed!!

RB