User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
jayz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
F800GS battery charge question

I have read some reports about guys using a battery Tender to charge the battery on thier bikes. My dealer told me that if you use a charger other then the BMW charger you should disconnect the battery from the bike when charging. I don't see how a battery tender hooked directly to the battery will damage the bike, Has anyone used a standard battery tender hooked to the battery with the supplied pigtail hook up. I would like to be able to have the tender already wired to the battery so that I can just plug it in after riding. Will I cause damage to the electrical system. THANKS
jayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,189
Dealer told you that for liability reasons. Probably says that in your manual too.

That's the way most people do it. No problem.

I use the BMW charger on my 12GS. I also have a pigtail to the battery for using tire pump and Gerbings.
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Let's quash this one!

Hogwash.

For example -

My dealer (A&S BMW) does not let ANY motorcycle roll out of the showroom floor without a direct wired Battery Tender harness hooked up. This is how they maintain them on the floor.

It is very nice to have in place as it doubles as a perfect receptacle for a tire pump. Just replace the stock fuse with a 20 amp and you're good to go.

I am on my 8th BMW and I have hooked every one of them (CANBus and pre CANBus) that way along with the 9 (I think that's right) non BMW motorcycles I've owned. Zero issues in over 30 years of riding bikes.

You may want to educate your dealer with this little fact - Deltran, AKA Battery Tender, makes all the BMW chargers!!!!

The BMW charger is different ONLY in the fact that it will allow the ZFE module to hold open the accessory socket on CANBus bikes so that the charger functions. That's it. Nothing else. It utilizes the same 3 step process to charge your battery as any other Battery Tender.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
jayz OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies it will sure make it easier to just unplug the charger and go !! Just did not want to cause any damage to the bike and I am not really sure about this electrical system on the F800.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

No worries. CANBus may be newer to bikes but it has been around for a while. It is proven technology but, as with anything "new", many people jump on the, "it's the devil", "it is too difficult to work on", band wagon.

Electricity is electricity. Nothing has changed here. Charging systems are the same as they have been for decades. There is just computer monitoring instead of fuses with smart technology to prevent over current, circuit faults, etc., and display notification as to the faults present.

If you hooked up a standard Battery Tender to your controlled accessory socket, all you would be doing, in essence, is plugging it in to the wall and not hooking it up to anything. The red light will remain, just blinking away, and not change.

Look at the shut down of the CANBus controlled socket as turning off a light switch. The circuit is broken and remains open until it is either re-energized or the fault goes away.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
jayz OP
Adventurer

One last question ? When I disconnect the battery to hook up the tender pigtail will it cause anything to happen that I may need to reset on the bike because of the electrical disruption when the battery is disconnected.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz
One last question ? When I disconnect the battery to hook up the tender pigtail will it cause anything to happen that I may need to reset on the bike because of the electrical disruption when the battery is disconnected.
The clock

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
You could get a plug ($15.95) and connect your battery tender throught the plug to charge your battery. If you plug the charger with the bike on, you can turn it off and the charger will continue to charge the battery.

alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
gocatgo
Eres mucho gato

Oddometer: 165
I have an '09 F650GS and had a second outlet installed on the right side of the ignition, where there is already a spot for it. It's wired directly to the battery bypassing the CANBUS so no worries. From what I understand the CANBUS outlet likely wouldn't run my Gerbings jacket liner, but the direct wired outlet will.
gocatgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral
You could get a plug ($15.95) and connect your battery tender throught the plug to charge your battery. If you plug the charger with the bike on, you can turn it off and the charger will continue to charge the battery.
I have gone that route and found that it works some of the time but not all of the time. The some of the time was only with a drained battery so the charge rate was high.

Bypass it with the harness and be done with it while also giving you a usable source to hook in high draw accessories such as a pump.

Yes, the clock will need resetting. That's it.

Correct, a Gerbing will draw about 7.5 amps. You're socket is a 5 amp limited socket.

Firefight911 screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 07:41 AM
Firefight911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral

Have you tried this?... You got my hopes up because I am looking at something like this and I don't care to hook more things directly to my battery if I don't have to...

Doesn't the canbus system shut down once you remove the key? The GPS stuff shuts off if you have it wired in. My GPS I have specifically wired directly to the battery to avoid that.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Have you tried this?... You got my hopes up because I am looking at something like this and I don't care to hook more things directly to my battery if I don't have to...

Doesn't the canbus system shut down once you remove the key? The GPS stuff shuts off if you have it wired in. My GPS I have specifically wired directly to the battery to avoid that.
You are correct. It will not work more than a minute or two after shutting off the ignition. The CANBUS shuts the outlet down at that time unless it receives the pulse that only the BMW charger sends. Best to direct wire the tender or additional outlet as others have said.
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
I haven't done it yet. It's what I'm planning to do getting the hookup from http://www.powerletproducts.com/

I researched this in a separate thread where other inmates have don ethis and have it working. The key is to hookup your Battery Tender before you switch off the bike and it will continue to charge after you switch it off.

BTW: Battery Tender manufacturer is the same manufacturer of BMW chargers.
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
I'll be hooking up my pigtail directly to the battery this weekend (finally found the charger). I use a Centech for everything else so I only have the Centech and charger hooked up directly to the battery.

Oh, if you're like me and reset your Trip 1 odometer every time you fill up, you'll lose that too when you disconnect the battery.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
jesse1
. o Ω o .

Oddometer: 34
Is it acceptable to charge the stock f800gs battery at 2 amps with a 12v car charger ? Doe the battery need to be removed or can it stay connected to the bike ?

Thanks for the clarification ...
jesse1 is offline   Reply With Quote