Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Superball OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Places to stay in North America this year?

Did I find the right forum? I'm planning a ride around North America for six months and would like to know good, safe places to stay that allow for truly local experiences--hostels, campgrounds, homes . . . . As a female traveling alone, I want to be especially careful.

I'll be starting the trip in a couple of weeks, from northern California, and most likely working my way south and east, then north up the east coast and into eastern Canada, then down into the Midwest, and then to the Pacific Northwest. I'm keeping a notebook organized by state and province, so I can refer to it as I discover where I'm going. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Superball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
BMWMOA members have a book: "Anonymous" that has many listings,by state/town, of members all over NA where you can get various levels of assistance,camping space,etc.. There is also a female spot in the clubs web forum where you could post.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Look at " Tent Space" for hostels and home stays. As for the SW NM area we have an ADV place in Las Cruces NM that is safe. I also suggest you use PMs and text and not go on open forum with any personal information. You running a SPOT? ADV hostels on here are the best way to get the best area experience also as to food, riding and repairs. Enjoy.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
ADV Tent space! Many of the hosts are women or couples.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
Definitely check out the Tent Space thread. Many of them offer warm beds inside as long as you shower occasionally. Feel free to PM me when you're planning the New England and Canadian Maritimes phase. My wife has worked in tourism for 20 years and knows all the ins and outs. Me? I just ride but can point you to some nice off the beaten path routes. Oh, and we have a shop and a spare room provided you don't mind sleeping with a couple of golden retrievers. They've pretty much taken over the guest room bed.

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you document your adventure here as you go. Many riders who have done so have received advice and shelter from those living along their route, and it's always nice to have a following if trouble crops up.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
I only stayed in a few youth hostels recently. San Louis Obispo, California and Tuscon, Arizona. I try to stay to the National Park campgrounds... they cost a little bit, but they are worth it to check into because they have regular law enforcement patrols. Second choice would be US Forest Service Campgrounds... then State Parks. KOA will work in a pinch, also, but are mostly RV oriented. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
I really like www.motorcycleroads.us as a starting place for route choices.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
chrishsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I have a good collection of roads around GA, SC, NC, Eastern TN, VA, WV, MD and PA. They are all backroads with minimum highway. Two years ago, we did a 15-day ride starting from MD up to PEI, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and back with roads collected from various ride reports and suggestions from many inmates here. They are all backroads too. I would be very happy to share them! My wife and I live about 20 miles north of DC and will be happy to host you if you come this way.
04 DR650SE
chrishsu is offline   Reply With Quote