Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #91
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aah5 View Post
Educate me, what is it about a Bobber that makes it so attractive?

I can understand Cafe Racers & Street Trackers, the stripping unnecessary items and modifying to improve performance and handling is Ok by me, I see lots of good looking ones on the road.

The act of cutting up of a bike and removing rear suspension, chopping fenders off, replacing the seat with a board, fitting fat oversize tires and generally stuffing up the ergonomics and handling just leaves me shaking my head.

Nothing in the slightest attractive with these, dare I call, 'bikes'.
If you follow the cafe trend through Bike EXIF - those guys claiming they're making a cafe bike then sticking stinking Firestone 4" wide crap tires on them... that is what doesn't make sense.

Bobbers are just functional choppers and can have any variety of widths of tires. My friend's XS650 has a 240 rear with a 3.00-21 on the front.

Fact is in my opinion, making a bike with clip-ons and totally torturous riding position doesn't make any more sense than some chopped bobber. But it's just that - my opinion. I like dual sports and street/trackers better than either bobbers or cafe bikes.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #92
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
If you follow the cafe trend through Bike EXIF - those guys claiming they're making a cafe bike then sticking stinking Firestone 4" wide crap tires on them... that is what doesn't make sense.
I don't get that at all, those types of tires sucked in the '40s, why the hell would you put them on a bike that is supposed to be built for sport.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #93
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #94
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Lol, that's pretty much every HD rally isn't it?

TONS of bikes that look exactly the same except for different paint and bolted on chrome bits?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #95
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Lol, that's pretty much every HD rally isn't it?

TONS of bikes that look exactly the same except for different paint and bolted on chrome bits?
Yeah,except the One show isn't reall about H-D's or doo rags.
At least from my limited exposure. I attended the One show that was put on in Austin during the Moto GP weekend last year.
Choppers made up less than 20% of the displays. And the show was free ! I went 2 nights to soak it all in.
Are there plans for a One Show in Austin this year ? I plan to go to the race again and if the show happens it will definately be part of the plan.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #96
Recreateme
One Among the Fence

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
Bobbers are like Rat Rods - they used to be cool but it's now been over done. The original concept (going to the 40s and 50s) was a cheap mod to reduce weight, with the work done by the owner in his garage. But now you can buy a $30K bobber complete with flat paint and rust.
This.

People now see it like following tradition. Like they loved that culture when they were kids, and that was what you did because you had no money for fancy bikes - Buy a wrecked on, and fix it up to the min road standards and ride until your teeth fall out because its fun and you were young.. Well now these guys are older and that style is engrained... There kids went through the same thing because their dad probably had one or something and now they want one, and the original message has been traded in for emulation.

Companies see this and they figure its easier if they just make a bobber bike for people to just easily buy.

Guitars have gone the same way, you can buy Fender's 'Road Worn' series that is aimed to look like its a 30 year old worn out piece, when its brand new.

Different strokes i guess.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #97
dirtRiderGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
To the nay say'ers: many bobblers are built from old, heavy, non running or junked 80's bikes. The bobber builder didn't ruin a perfectly good bike, but rather gave new life to an old forgotten wreck.

Most bobbers are faster, lighter and more modernized than the donor bike.

Maybe not all bobbers are pretty, but neither was the donor bike.

There's some really cool bobber builds out there that are way superior to the donor bike.

So, if you don't like bobbers....then you don't know (or understand) bobbers.
dirtRiderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #98
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
(FYI, Here begins a rant that has nothing to do with the person I am quoting)

Who didn't?

ADD a Ferrari like Magnum P.I.

AND a Kick ass big, Chevy truck like the Fall Guy

AND a badass helicopter like Airwolf

AND a sweet motorcycle like in Tron

AND a kick ass, big boobed girlfriend that would tell our moms to, "fuck off!" as we rode off into the distance...

THEN...some of us grew up and decided we really liked RIDING motorcycles and instead of taking cheap motorcycles from CL and turning them into unrideable piles of crap. To add to his tragedy, about 90% of the trailer park residents that start one of these projects, completely destroying the motorcycle in the process, decided they no longer have the knowledge, skills or ambition to finish it....kind of like the rest of their lives.

The proof is in the showing. At every, tiny little show around here I see 1 or 2 builds that range from 1/4 ass to 1/2 ass, and in response I see multiple CL posts a month of redneck fools looking to sell their train wrecked catastrophe.

SO, if you have a nice bobber build, I'd love nothing more than to take a look. I will appreciate the art you have created, and thank you for contribution to not only the arts in general, but our sport in particular.

HOWEVER, for the 99% of the rest of the "bobber builders" out there...fuck you, fuck you, fuck you...for completely destroying what was once a perfectly good motorcycle.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
If they didn't do so, a pristine XS650 twin would be worth $500! People hosing up good bikes is what makes said bikes in good original condition so valuable. Kind of like riders crashing and trashing them - only makes the survivors worth more!

Mark - klx678
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #99
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
I don't get that at all, those types of tires sucked in the '40s, why the hell would you put them on a bike that is supposed to be built for sport.

It is purely the "fat tire" look that so many want. One guy knew putting a 200 on the back of his R1 would mess up the handling, but he wanted the look. Every punk kid or "know-it-all" dirt rider wants the widest tire they can stick on the back of their bike. Don't have the brains to look at what the fast guys are running (usually stock, because the factory did the research for what worked best).

They lose performance because of added rotating unsprung weight, slowed handling making the bike work like a truck, plus they usually reduce wheel travel to around 2" - what brilliant performance moves! Duh!

It's all profiling.

Those guys are pure image/no content, numbskulls or are selling bikes to numbskulls.

Mark - klx678
Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #100
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,375
Thumb

you see, this is why I love this forum... it's just so full of people willing to accept the concept of live and let live as well as having a deep understanding that other (equally intelligent or perhaps even more so) people may come to a different decision than them with regards to the type of motorcycle to ride and what they would wear while riding . its this unwavering mutual respect for fellow human beings that makes this forum such a haven for brotherhood and camaraderie. kudos to all you open minded folk.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #101
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
you see, this is why I love this forum... it's just so full of people willing to accept the concept of live and let live as well as having a deep understanding that other (equally intelligent or perhaps even more so) people may come to a different decision than them with regards to the type of motorcycle to ride and what they would wear while riding . its this unwavering mutual respect for fellow human beings that makes this forum such a haven for brotherhood and camaraderie. kudos to all you open minded folk.
Well, we can't have this type of fairminded evenhanded thinking running loose around here!!!! Ban him, no wait burn him,, no burn him then ban him!!! Damn hippie!!!
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote