ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Oddometer: 63
Thumb Friendly KTM Owner Seeks Shelter in Seattle (coming from Philly)

Looks like I'm gonna be in Seattle for the next 9 months or so for work. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, and I'm bringing my Super Duke along.

Anybody got an extra room they feel like renting out? A garage spot for my bike and some type of parking for my car would be amazing. Any advice on local roads would be a bonus as well. I feel like asking here is going to net me 1000x better responses than some craigslist weirdos. Or maybe I'm wrong - you tell me where I should be looking.

About me: I'm 27, I'm an engineer, I have a Super Duke, an SV650, an XR100 miniGP bike, a WRX, and a miata. Only the KTM and WRX will be coming with me. All I require aside from a place to lay my head is a kitchen to make food and a spot to park the bike. I'm clean, no drama, no BS, etc.

Any additional info about the area would also rock. I hear the traffic on I-5 is terrible. I looked and lane splitting is not legal, is it enforced? It looks like there's TONS OF AMAZING MOUNTAINS nearby --- should I expect excellent roads, or will buying a dual-sport be necessary while I'm there? I sold my DRZ after my last trip to Moab...

Thanks everyone!!! Here's the only pic of myself on the KTM...

And a few more pics of toys (great now this is turning into an introduction thread):

Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,128
Can't offer a room, but...

we're across the Puget Sound by ferry on Bainbridge Island. Can offer a visit/lunch/dinner/coffee or garage space if wrenching is needed or just a place to escape the city for a bit. Seattle is great but it's city traffic, not much space for splitting or anything like that. Lane splitting is not legal or even safe here as most folks drive like their phone and coffee are more important.

Besides, it's good to have a ADV inmate around if you don't know anyone in the area.

Safe travels, see ya 'round here sometime. If you need more info about me, see the RR in my sig line.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
No.

You're too good looking, young and come with better toys than I have. ;)

Thus, no soup for you!

...in reality, the sad truth is we simply don't have the space. Garage is full of stuff (Jetta, BMW Z4, KTM Enduro R, FJR1300, and...wait for it... the Honda...rototiller!).

So, pointless post, right? WRONG!

Check out airbnb - might offer up some leads on folks to check in with. Many folks are willing to negotiate in special circumstances - like longer-term rentals. ;) I'm seeing almost 1,000 entries in my own zipcode (Kirkland)...wow! They have grown!
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Check out airbnb - might offer up some leads on folks to check in with. Many folks are willing to negotiate in special circumstances - like longer-term rentals. ;) I'm seeing almost 1,000 entries in my own zipcode (Kirkland)...wow! They have grown!
I used airBNB recently on a trip to Costa Rica. Had good luck, I'll be checking it out again. Luckily work will cover a hotel stay for the first month so I'm not stuck trying to setup anything ahead of time.

Is it bad that I'm determining where I stay primarily based on how my KTM will live?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise View Post
Is it bad that I'm determining where I stay primarily based on how my KTM will live?
It would be bad if that wasn't one of your top priorities.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
It would be bad if that wasn't one of your top priorities.

So seriously, guys - am I going to hate life out there with my SuperDuke? Should I be looking for a dualsport ASAP? Be honest...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:

So seriously, guys - am I going to hate life out there with my SuperDuke? Should I be looking for a dualsport ASAP? Be honest...
Trade the Duke for an Enduro R - life will be amazing...er ;)

That said, you'll not go wrong cruising the PNW on the Duke, so do you want just asphalt, or dirt mixed in too...?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Trade the Duke for an Enduro R - life will be amazing...er ;)

That said, you'll not go wrong cruising the PNW on the Duke, so do you want just asphalt, or dirt mixed in too...?
I Bought the Duke after four months of nonstop shopping... 2 weeks ago. There are NONE of them on the east coast, it's unreal. So yeah - no way I'm trading her in.

I guess the question is whether the DS riding out there is so good that it shouldn't be missed. I'm more than eager to throw 10k of asphalt-only miles on the SD this summer tho
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Thumb

I ride with a friend that has the Super Duke, he won't stop talking about how much he loves it. And he's become some kind of wheelie king now...

I vote to definitely not sell the KTM, and get a cheap dirt bike. You can make it street legal if you want to, thanks to Washington's new law that allows just about any bike to pass a relatively simple private inspection and become a dual sport. Or leave it dirty, there's always someone with a truck or van who wants to go dirt biking. I'm going on Saturday in fact...

Welcome! Check out Pacific Northwest Riders forum for routes and rides in the area. Hope to see you on the trails.
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
I Bought the Duke after four months of nonstop shopping... 2 weeks ago. There are NONE of them on the east coast, it's unreal. So yeah - no way I'm trading her in.

I guess the question is whether the DS riding out there is so good that it shouldn't be missed. I'm more than eager to throw 10k of asphalt-only miles on the SD this summer tho
Blaise - look for posts from Tom Edison - he's an avid dual sporter and frequently posts ride reports in the PNW section. He just happens to take great photos as well - it'll whet your appitite and make that buy/skip decision a bit easier. ;)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,431
Leave the duke, bring the DRZ.

You might get 5 or 6 outstanding rides on the Superduke, with the DRZ you can get one every weekend.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Leave the duke, bring the DRZ.

You might get 5 or 6 outstanding rides on the Superduke, with the DRZ you can get one every weekend.
I sold the DRZ :(

And I'll need a streetbike to commute 30 miles each way to work anyway.

Crap. Guess I better start shopping for a DS....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
I'll look past the fact that you have a Miata long enough to write this....

I'm in ID, so I can't help you out with the place to live, but I can give you my 2 cents. I moved out here to the (colder/hotter/drier part of the) PNW 10 years ago from 60 miles NW of Philly (Boyertown area). Personally, I fit in here better that I ever had back east, especially when it comes to my two-wheeled hobbies. 9 months? After spending that much time out here, I am certain you won't go back! The locals might scoff at these following statements, but coming from the east, you will understand.

Road maintenance is actually performed here. I guarantee part of the reason you bought a well-handling bike was for pothole and orange barrel avoidance. Out here you will use it for carving the hundreds of miles of beautiful twistys.

You probably sold the DRZ in-part because there were no places to ride out there besides the dirty coal regions and the NJ Pine Barons. Out here, all the riding areas are public. Buy the appropriate stickers/tags/plates, and point and go.

One thing that WILL take some adjusting: The posted speed limits ARE the speed limits. I racked up a few tickets and warnings before I finally re-trained myself to slow down. The Pennsylvania standard +20 to any speed limit sign will not fly here. Also, compared to Philly, the drivers here are VERY polite. You would actually feel guilty if you lane split out here. I'd take I-5 over the Schuylkill Expressway any day.

My advice? Find a place that has enough room to store your Duke and a small trailer to hook up to your Scooby Doo with a cheap and reliable dirt bike parked on it. (Or maybe just a small storage unit.) Drive in comfort and (relative) safety to the trailhead, rather than risk your life in the city on a DS and have to rely on it to get you home with missing turn signals and mirrors. The trails are too good out here to ignore while you are here.

Good luck with the process! Keep in touch with us on here and let us know what you think after you are out here!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I'll look past the fact that you have a Miata long enough to write this....
Hey! The miata is the closest I can get to bike-levels of fun without taking the bike.

Quote:
Road maintenance is actually performed here. I guarantee part of the reason you bought a well-handling bike was for pothole and orange barrel avoidance. Out here you will use it for carving the hundreds of miles of beautiful twistys.
Fan-tastic. You're totally right, I hate the roads here.

Quote:
You probably sold the DRZ in-part because there were no places to ride out there besides the dirty coal regions and the NJ Pine Barons. Out here, all the riding areas are public. Buy the appropriate stickers/tags/plates, and point and go.
BINGO! Exactly why I sold it, zero place to ride it except in the Pine Barrens, and it sucked. Since I am not officially moving though, buying something might be tough.

Quote:
One thing that WILL take some adjusting: The posted speed limits ARE the speed limits. I racked up a few tickets and warnings before I finally re-trained myself to slow down. The Pennsylvania standard +20 to any speed limit sign will not fly here. Also, compared to Philly, the drivers here are VERY polite. You would actually feel guilty if you lane split out here. I'd take I-5 over the Schuylkill Expressway any day.
Ugh. Yeah, I'm very used to doing whatever the hell speed I want. Flow of traffic long I-95 is 90+ every morning on my way to work. The state cops don't even bother turning the radar on, while the locals aren't even issued radar (stopwatch only). Looks like I'll need to mount my Valentine-One on my handlebars...

Quote:
My advice? Find a place that has enough room to store your Duke and a small trailer to hook up to your Scooby Doo with a cheap and reliable dirt bike parked on it. (Or maybe just a small storage unit.) Drive in comfort and (relative) safety to the trailhead, rather than risk your life in the city on a DS and have to rely on it to get you home with missing turn signals and mirrors. The trails are too good out here to ignore while you are here.

Good luck with the process! Keep in touch with us on here and let us know what you think after you are out here!

Thanks man!! I do own a small trailer but unfortunately work will not ship it.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
I do own a small trailer but unfortunately work will not ship it.
Can't you disassemble it and pack it in the car? Or on the roof?