Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
No, I know they exist, but dual plugging the heads is a common modification on airheads to allow higher compression ratios and it results in better gas mileage. So any mention of dual plugs on airheads and better gas mileage is probably referring to a dual plug head, not dual electrode plugs.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,037
Dual plugging is a common modification for airheads, oilheads, XR750's, top fuel dragsters, . . . all kinds of engines. Theoretically, it can get you better mileage. Some airhead riders get better mileage after dual plugging because they leaned their jets out afterwards. What a lot of those people don't realize is that they could have leaned out their jetting single plugged as well. Either way will often get you more power and better mileage all at the same time.

Dual electrode plugs are basically aviation plugs. Your chances of a plug shorting out due to lead buildup are at least twice as small since if one electrode gets shorted the plug will fire through the other one until that one gets shorted. Better mileage? I doubt it but maybe they spark better long after they should be replaced? I don't know. The other electrode does shield the combustion mixture from the spark to some degree. I run single electrode plugs.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,025
The problem with most rider assessments of benefit of modification is that they want it to work. If I had no other choice I'd use them but otherwise stay away. If you are really bored do your own tests. See if you can find any significant improvement in mileage or power. Understand tho we (the term "we" is used here very loosely) will tear test reports end for end. We are not generally a good audience for these things.

It's true, No Free Lunch.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
supershaft
because I can

I run NGK's in my bike now that it is dual plugged with 14mm and 12mm plugs just so I can have matching plugs. NGK's readily available? I have been to many a shop, even motorcycle shops, that do not have the NGK plug I am looking for. I don't think I have ever been to a BMW dealership that was out of Bosch WDC's. Even though you can't get them anymore! I can't tell any difference between the two.

supershaft screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:41 PM
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
Snowbum's site says not to use the dual ground electrode plugs .
So I'm safe to be using the 4 ground electrode then seeing as Snowbum doesn't mention them? No change in power or economy either way, the only advantage is longer life and they cover 2 heat ranges.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
So I'm safe to be using the 4 ground electrode then seeing as Snowbum doesn't mention them? No change in power or economy either way, the only advantage is longer life and they cover 2 heat ranges.
Long life, multi tip or micro tip plugs run well in my Subaru or in the Kia V6.
When I have to pay a mechanic big $ to change the plugs along with the timing belts at 100,000 K I don't mind paying $25.00 for a plug.

For the Beemer where the plugs are hanging in the breeze simple (cheaper) is better.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #22
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The problem with most rider assessments of benefit of modification is that they want it to work.
Exactly. I paid a lot for this mod--it sure did make a difference.

Been down the race bike road--not on it anymore. Even though I may ride the hell out of my airhead, it's not a race bike and I feed it parts accordingly.

Only my opinion, of course.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,092
Midwinter? Check.
Major Winter storm bearing down? Check.
Oil/Tire/Battery/Sparkplug Thread looming? (Check One)

Sorry, I was compelled...

--Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 310
[QUOTE=Stagehand;20560471]the 5/6/7 is a heat range, of the spark produced I believe. I am running 7's in my R100. I think there are 5's or 6's in my R 60. Theoretically, you would run a hotter plug (one that produced a hotter spark) in the bigger cylinders, and you could run a colder one in the smaller. /QUOTE]

The plug heat range has nothing to do with how "hot" the spark is. It is a measurement of how much heat the spark plug retains or releases during use compared to others of similar construction using the same scale.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,993
[QUOTE=Hookalatch;20565418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
the 5/6/7 is a heat range, of the spark produced I believe. I am running 7's in my R100. I think there are 5's or 6's in my R 60. Theoretically, you would run a hotter plug (one that produced a hotter spark) in the bigger cylinders, and you could run a colder one in the smaller. /QUOTE]

The plug heat range has nothing to do with how "hot" the spark is. It is a measurement of how much heat the spark plug retains or releases during use compared to others of similar construction using the same scale.

Chuck
Oh! SO too hot a plug might make you start pinging, maybe?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
supershaft
because I can

[QUOTE=Stagehand;20565852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post

Oh! SO too hot a plug might make you start pinging, maybe?
Yes but you still want to run things as hot as you can get away with. That's where your engine runs best and cleanest and the most efficiently. You don't want your engine soaking up heat because it isn't already hot. You want it hot so more of the energy gets put to the road. Newer engines run a lot hotter than they use to for this exact reason.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

cool, thanks for the clue.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

octane, too, presumably
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,092
Octane? Not really, though a sparkplug with a heat rating way too hot can cause detonation even with high octane fuel.

With NGK plugs, the higher the heat rating number the colder the plug. The lower the heat number, the hotter the plug. Bosch has the heat number run oppositely, as does Champion (I think. Maybe.). I have a chart of sparkplug equivalents on my reference shelf, so I don't need to commit it to memory.

--Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
When I have to pay a mechanic big $ to change the plugs along with the timing belts at 100,000 K I don't mind paying $25.00 for a plug.
That's why I used to use the Plus 4's in my shop - if they are a hard access plug, rather than charge the customer a fortune for plats, I'd put in the Plus 4's which cost only a couple of dollars more than a standard plug, and last almost as long as a plat. Had the Plus 4's in my Lada, took them out when I sold it....so the Airhead has plugs for 10 years.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote