Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
MexicanGringo OP
Canadian in Mexico

Oddometer: 16
Puke F700GS: Filled up one tank with regular 87 Octane instead of 91? Damage possible?

Hey guys, BMW Motorcycle noob here,

sorry if this has been asked before, I was on a road trip with a few friends in Mexico and we had to refuel in some small town and they didn't have Premium fuel, so I was forced to fill up with 87 instead of 91. I'm kind of OCD and since then I noticed that it "seemed to me" that I feel the vibration of the engine more at higher RPM, but it might be that I'm just focusing too much on this aspect of the motorcycle since I was afraid with the fuel.

I since refilled with premium gas (91), but I can't help to ask, can it has caused damage or is it like the BMW cars where the timing is adjusted automatically by the computer?

Thanks
MexicanGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
You'll be fine.. The moto will just make a little bit less power. I've even run 84 octane before in Peru when nothing else was available.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
OW Man NO ffs... quick go put some techron and seafoam in it. Soon smoke will be coming out of your exhaust and it'll be the first sign of massive engine wear due to the explosions not being handled right by the engine if filled with less then premium fuel. it has no knock sensor and can't recalibrate! you should have gone to your dealer and ask to get that lower fuel map... Darn dude... Crossing my fingers for you!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I run 87 all the time ;-) come to think of it I think I only run 91 every now and then.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
MexicanGringo OP
Canadian in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
OW Man NO ffs... quick go put some techron and seafoam in it. Soon smoke will be coming out of your exhaust and it'll be the first sign of massive engine wear due to the explosions not being handled right by the engine if filled with less then premium fuel. it has no knock sensor and can't recalibrate! you should have gone to your dealer and ask to get that lower fuel map... Darn dude... Crossing my fingers for you!
I guess/hope you're being sarcastic ;) Was an honest question, I'm new to riding bikes.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
MexicanGringo OP
Canadian in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
You'll be fine.. The moto will just make a little bit less power. I've even run 84 octane before in Peru when nothing else was available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin4melife
run 87 all the time ;-) come to think of it I think I only run 91 every now and then.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGringo View Post
I guess/hope you're being sarcastic ;) Was an honest question, I'm new to riding bikes.
That is Loutres way of welcoming new riders...... You will be fine with the gas. Welcome on board.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Teckel
Pragmatic

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:

Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Haha.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
... Crossing my fingers for you!
Meany..
Shooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Simple solution.

If you fill the bike up on a grade lower than what is recommended and want to play it safe keep the load on the bike minimal, don't pin it up an incline, just ride nice and easy.

This will help prevent ignition (knocking) which is what can cause damage to an engine.

Most modern bikes are able to accommodate the lower octane so would not worry about it, now if riding it sounded like a can of nails being shook in the motor that is a different story.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGringo View Post
of course I am, like most of the times on here you'll learn to ignore me very soon :o).

Don't oversweat it. A bit of bad fuel has never destroyed a bike (...??...). If you do it for a LONG period of time there can be damage but the cases are rear. Read a lot of ride reports of 800GS in poor countries and only twice there was something wrong with the bikes (one in Perou starting from canada I think, and the other one was... well lost? can't remember. One of them even had that BMW setup for bad fuel so even that can't really safe your arse). However you'll ride a couple of tens of thousands of miles before having a problem due to bad fuel. Anyway talking too much again.

Look at Radiomans RR. He's doing a RTW trip and other than big rocks on the side of the road () his bike ran pretty much flawlessly considering the journey

Charge your battery, change your oil according to temperatures, take a couple of beers whilst doing each and you'll be fine. See you again in two years when you stator fails

R1150GSA SE

Loutre screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 02:06 AM
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I've done it heaps of times.

With a pillion on the first thing I notice is that low rpm wide throttle causes knocking, so I don't do it. Go down a gear and let it rev a little. Wide open throttle will make it knock as well.

You'll hear the knock. Sounds like a sudden metallic rattle from the top end. Just avoid the throttle conditions that cause it.

Also, depending on how low the tank was when you filled it, you wont have straight 87 grade fuel. There'll be a mix of it and the last higher octane batch you used.

Over here the ratings are 98 octane is premium, and 91 is normal ULP. There's also 91 with 10% ethanol, and 95 ULP and 95 with 10% ethanol.

I've run 91 with 10% on a few occasions and yeah, it gets a rattle up at high load low rpm, but hasn't done anything nasty to it.

Yet.....hey...it's a BMW....any thing's possible.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Good question.

It should be alright that model will take, all 3 grades of fuel. Though, I would if I were you, watch out for the ETHANOL BLENDS. All you have to do is treat the gas with an additive. I do this at the pump, while getting gas.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
When I'm not wasting my money on motorcycles, I'm wasting it on aviation. Particularly, building my own plane, a Vans RV-8. Why is this relevant? I've just been reading a series of absolutely excellent technical articles on detonation and pre-ignition in aero engines - my plane will use an old Lycoming I'm overhauling - and given all internal combustion, spark ignition engines are really the same 19th Century technology inside, the lessons apply to motorcycles too.

Anyway, the summary of the research, conducted by very academic-looking men with lab coats and so on at a US university, was that detonation or knocking (which is what you risk with low-octane fuel) is much, much less damaging to an engine than anyone had previously thought. Indeed, if that's all you suffer from, and in your situation it's not even sure you will, the worst case scenario is you will damage your spark plugs. The extra cylinder pressure created by knocking is not so high the engine can't withstand it unless it's run like that for hours.

It's pre-ignition that causes real issues and this won't happen just because you used the wrong fuel grade.

I regularly use a horrible Australian fuel called Opal, which is about 90RON, and my bike is fine.