If you accidentally click add a poll you can go back and change it. 0 0%
I once had a bad Avon tire and my cat sleeps naked. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Guidocat OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eek Avon Gripster Not Round

Hi gang, this might be my first post here. It's about tires. Here comes the excitement.

I just mounted an Avon Gripster on the rear of my DR650SE. I bought the tire stand and the balancer and I bought every toy that motion pro makes to make my tire change easy and painless.

I put the tire on, and it took 3 oz to balance it, and had about 3mm of runout radially. So I took it off and started over, same thing. After the third try, I think it might be the tire.

Anyone else encounter a bad Avon tire? They seem to pride themselves on perfect tires. Are they mistaken?
Guidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,707
make sure the bead is seated all the around on both sides, there is a line on the tire that will be about 1/16-1/8 inch or so above edge of rim when it's seated, the line must be even all the way around. sometimes it takes some good pressure to seat it, I've had to put 80 psi in some tires, but on a DR with spoke wheels, 40 or so should do it. make sure bead is lubed up good also.
another thing to check is that your rim is straight.
if it's not the bead or the rim, then yep, you got an egg.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM   #3
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,251
Unless you only ride roads, you should take the tire back and get a real dual sport tire. Avon made an error in the mold when they put the name on it - GRipster, should be SLipster. My KLX 650 couldn't get decent traction in any dual sport conditions. Stuck like glue on the road, but put it in some grass and it's hosed.

FWIW I went to the Duro Median about 30,000 miles and 15 years ago, far better than the Slipster off pavement and on par with it when on the pavement while getting equal wear. Plus a bit less costly. But that was a side benefit after the fact. I got them because I was unemployed, but needed tires. Now I can buy whatever I want, but why change what works great?

Regardless, if you are actually planning any off road, there are far better tires and some at far lower cost.

As for the 3 mm out of round, probalby not a big deal and likely not noticeable in operation. Contact Avon by email from their site and ask them.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidocat View Post
Hi gang, this might be my first post here. It's about tires. Here comes the excitement.

I just mounted an Avon Gripster on the rear of my DR650SE. I bought the tire stand and the balancer and I bought every toy that motion pro makes to make my tire change easy and painless.

I put the tire on, and it took 3 oz to balance it, and had about 3mm of runout radially. So I took it off and started over, same thing. After the third try, I think it might be the tire.

Anyone else encounter a bad Avon tire? They seem to pride themselves on perfect tires. Are they mistaken?
that sounds like a hop of about 1/8", and very similar to a non-seated bead from what i've seen in my own garage.

every time i've had that problem, the rim was dirty in the seating area. a little wd40 and a scotchbright pad does wonders for cleaning up a dirty rim. slap some lube on it, and the tire, and it will seat nice and easy at 40PSI or less.

the slightest bit of gummy residue on rim will prevent a tire from mounting concentrically.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #5
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
+3 on the bead not seated........Avon's can be a tight fit on the rim, I had uneven seating on Distanzia where it took several attempts and lots of lube to get it seated evenly.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote