User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
advzebra OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
CE rated Jacket or Armor?

I recently purchased a black KTM Adventure 950. Love the bike, but I like having a matching look, or at the very least, not be wearing all black on a black bike (which is what I have now).

Have been looking around at all sorts of jackets - Rev'it Sand, Icon Patrol, KTM Rally jacket, etc.
No one has the correct size in local dealerships, so I can't see and fit these jackets first hand (I'm a M in most brands). But also - dropping $300+ on a jacket that will be the same look, day in, day out..

Has anyone decided to just buy armor like the Fox Racing Titan sport jacket, and run more toned down motorcross jersey's with black overpants, or jackets with no protection? Figured with the armored jacket, you've got more flexibility in cheaper, more bold designs and colors... or would I just look like a tool?
advzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Im kind of confused....are you suggesting putting fashion before safety?
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
What Size?

Olympia worked for me. I am bit on the large size though. They run up to a 4X jacket.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Dirt or street?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Off road I'll run with lighter top layers over full armor (I prefer the Forcefield Adventure Harness for torso/arms). On road, except for short bits at moderate speed between off road sections, I'm all about real abrasion resistance on top of bounce protection, everywhere I can get it. Choice is yours.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
advzebra OP
Adventurer

hmm, so XC body armor is more for impact, rather than abrasion?
Was just figuring out if riding with XC armor underneath a textile KTM jacket or a Klim Traverse would be similar in safety or better than if I'd be wearing something like a Rev'it Sand or what have you. (Can't afford a Klim Badlands, but that looks intense in safety/armor)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
check out atomic-moto.com and call brian. he's is very knowledgable about gear and many of the pieces you listed specifically. spent much time on the phone describing the differnces between types
of armor and helped me get sorted pretty well. there is a thread in equip specifically listing ce rated gear.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
advzebra OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone!

I ended up deciding on a jacket where I'll buy armor separately. I think it fits my style of riding the best, and also seemed the best bang for the buck for what I'm looking for.

I can always buy more gear later
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I used the titan/outer layer combo for a couple of multiweek trips last season, temps on the same trip ran from 107 to frost on the tent and the pressure suit leaves a lot of options for layering.

I look like a tool for sure but my touring bike is an old xr400 so I'm not going to win any nice setup contests anyway..

Heated gear and pressure suits work really well together, I carry a light vest made by blackjack, it plugs into the battery tender plug and under a pressure suit it has saved the day several times when unexpected delays have found me riding long after sundown.

Leatt has a newer setup that I'm thinking of trying this year .. body protector 3df you might have a look at it.

and lastly, I've tried a bunch of proper motorcycle jackets that will layer over a pressure suit and finally found one made by Scorpion that fit's and feels great. It won't make the multiday travel team for a few reasons "waterproofing/bulk etc" but it's a nice jacket and provides good abrasion protection and range of motion which in my experience isn't an easy combination to find in adv gear.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
advzebra OP
Adventurer

wow, that Leatt body protector looks wild! Definitely something I'll be keeping my eye on!