Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,068
Really what did you want out a sport touring off road bike?

My 05 GS will do wheelies in second gear, but any 600cc sport bike will kick its ass.

My 05 RT did have an afterburner at about 5500 rpms, that the GS doesn't have.

Good Luck

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 442
Question

Never been on a KTM...but I hear they all vibrate like mad.

How does the vibes compare with the GSA vs the 990????
qman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
I suppose I know what you mean. I love my GS and it is a great tool for what it was designed to do, but it has all the personality of an industrial air conditioner.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
The GSA is really the KC-130 of motorcycles. It's 48lbs heavier than the GS. Weight is your enemy.

Don't fill the tank up all the way, strip off the unneeded foof, avoid the Touratech crack pipe syndrome and enjoy. I put my GS on a diet and it's now close to 480lbs wet

www.racersandranchers.com
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
Pepperjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The GSA still has plenty of power.. I don't compare it at all to the KTM really.. they're so different.. I guess I just thought(regardless of my other bike experience) that the boxer 1200 would pull harder and being this new engine sound like it wants to rev more.. reality is this is a torque engine, it's all about riding in the torque band (which is different, though nice)..

there's something I really like about a bike that has the appeal of an industrial air conditioner.. I like looking at the Fuel Range.. 430km to go... I would love to make it 700km! .. probably would if I could :-)

yes the KTM990 Adv does vibrate a fair bit.. it has sweet spots but generally you are either below that(vibration then) or above that.. thinking more about life preservation than vibration.

The KTM is no where near as comfy as the GSA on road...
the KTM is AWESOME to ride, onroad, off road, single track, fire trails.. hands down kills the GSA.
the KTM does dip in the front under braking - the GS does not.. that is very cool I think.. but not practically a problem - very cool through Mr BMW.
the GSA.. with that killer suspecnsion - is very smooth over crappy roads..perhaps better than the KTM.. but definitely very confidence inspiring.
the GSA - they just have some super appeal.. I'm falling in love with the ugly big aluminium boxes.. love what I can carry.
the KTM is very simple, in comparison.. I like that.. no wierd shit to go awry in the bush - again, in comparison.
the KTM feels like a trail bike on 'roids.. the achitecture, angles, seat,, all feel like a big ass trail bike.
the KTM, when you take the panniers off, remove the mirrors, drop the levers.. is VERY capable.. I was riding with a DRZ400 traily on the weekend and there is no where he could go that I couldn't .. we would have left a GS miles back.
the GS feels like a road bike, with off road style.. I would NOT feel confident looking at some snotty hill on the GSA thinking, I have to make it over that because there is no other way..on the KTM, no worries.

Perspective..:
- I got the KTM for the ability to point my nose at a bunch of routes/tracks and know I would get over pretty much anything - regardless of track condition.
- I got the GSA to ride on 'roads' .. and if there are unsealed sections then that's cool .. but it's not a bike I'll ever remove the mirrors, drop the levers and have a go at some single track on.

IT's quit funny, even wriitng this I feel the need to add a little line to defend the GSA.. why..? they do have some real cult status, I would say from McGregor/Boorman .. but here's the interesting thing, thoe two were knocked back by KTM.. commercial suicide on KTM's behalf! .. they asked KTM first.. and, having seen their DVD's.. they would have found the trip much easier on the KTM 990 Adv.. MUCH easier.. though, for the long boring, sealed roads.. they definitely would have needed and airwolf seat!
Rides : KTM990ADV, BMW R1200GSA
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,648
Learn to ride the torque and you will never look back. All that arm stetching punch isin't worth didly squat when your trying to hook up in loose terrain.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Ha ! Bikers eventually get so spoiled with the performance we have been blessed with. I was next to a Mercedes C63 AMG at a light once with my pig of a GSA. I smoked him from the get go, not even close. The GS/GSA can beat almost every production car on the road 0-60 and you're underwhelmed ?
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Osmin C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Folks just dont know what to complain about....

I came from a GSXR 1k and I love my GSA. I dont feel its low on power by any means. I also have a 460 WHP Mustang....so you might say that I could have been numb to power...but I am not. The GSA is an incredible machine.

Some folks just want a 180HP, 350lb, canyon monster that can tour from Alaska to Panama without ever needing to even think of a potential breakdown.....
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,162
Pepperjack, nothing wrong with your descriptions from my point of view. I adore the 990 Adventure too. It might be my next Stateside bike. (I've already bought one once, but it was stolen)
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
Pepperjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Good comments on riding the torque etc..

I was thinking..because it happens with such little fuss it perhaps "seems" less impressive. I do recall with my RT how quick it was to get to 100hmhr.. ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rides : KTM990ADV, BMW R1200GSA
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Really? Two words: test ride?
You purchased a ~ $20,000 vehicle without testing it to see if you liked it before buying?
That's essentially how Canadians are forced to buy bikes. I don't know any dealership that allows you to test drive new motorcycles. The insurance companies will not provide insurance coverage for test rides. The only chance you have for a test ride is when the manufacturer comes to town with their roadshow and brings a handful of demo bikes for a day. You have to sign up way in advance to get one of the eight slots per bike.

I was surprised that it was accepted to drop over $20k on a bike haven never drive it before.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyke View Post
True - They are real tight when new... Starts to loosen up and feels real smooth between 5 and 8 K miles.
+1. My selling dealer told me 6000 miles to get settled/broke in and he was correct. First oil change at 600 miles, second at 6000 followed up with a 5000 mile and I am . It just runs better and better.

Expectations and perceptions for each person if different. I have a Tiger 1050 to ride for an arm stretching hooligan fix when needed.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,351
PO 950 SE and 990 adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I've owned two KTM950's (but not a 990) and both a R1100GS and a R1150GS Adventure. And am now a new owner of a 2013 R1200GS Adventure for just a few weeks and a few hundred miles. So, I do have 50K+ miles experience on the KTM950's and 150K+ miles on oilhead BMW's.

When I came to select a new adventure bike I considered both the KTM990 and the R1200GS Adventure. I selected the BMW despite the fact that is cost a lot more money. Reasons: Primarily I did it as I wanted one of the last air/oil cooled boxer motors before they do to the water cooled models this summer. Secondarily, both the PITA (pain in the ass) of the maintenance of the KTM bothered me as it was a royal pain to do a valve adjustment, etc.. and the fact that, IMHO, the KTM950 lacks the torque that the BMW has. Meaning, the KTM was a hell of a lot of fun but I felt like I had to row the gearbox a LOT to keep it in the power band where I wanted it. I live in Colorado so we have less power up here.

I think the fact that the BMW has more torque, or at least it feels like it does, works better for me. When I'm out touring around or playing with the sport bikes I am not shifting all day. That was very appealing. The 2013 GS Adventure to me is a lot of fun and does very well in the twisties but it is not going to feel like the KTM and vice versa. If I was going for a long journey (1000+ miles) I'd pick the BMW every single time over the KTM.

The bike doesn't feel lame to me. It runs just fine right out of the box and the stock exhaust has a nice snarl to it compared to the R1100GS and R1150GS Adventure bikes which DID sound like sewing machines. I think BMW has made a lot of good progress with the latest GS.

Just my .02.

Tom
On the head. I started from scratch last spring. Had owned and sold both KTM 990 ADV. and 950 SE. I tried them all over again and ended up with the GSA. Hands down the best all a rounder on the market.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Gsa and...

If you are fortunate enough to own more than one bike at a time, as the OP states he does, you are in a perfect world.
The GSA is the bomb, almost all the bike anyone would every need as a primary or road trip bike... Your second bike option could be a speed bike. Take your pick, EVERY manufacturer has a couple of bikes that fit the bill.
I am fortunate that I picked up a used 07 GSA and for tearing up the backroads and fulfilling the "need for speed" , I have a 1200 HP2 MegaMoto!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,208
well,

hop out there and do a 1000mi day and see how that 990 feels on the old buttocks(?)

After 22 bikes in 20 years I have settled on the perfect 2 (for what I like)

2008 R1200GSA
2009 Triumph Speed Triple.

If I did 99% off road maybe I could see the KTM. But the GSA does everything well.

2009 Triumph Speed Triple "the mistress"
2008 BMW R1200GSA-" the wife"
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "

" Damn a motorcycle, if somone would buy this thing I would take the bus home "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote