User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,280
Damn. You're brave.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Wow! Just for posterity you should keep track of the hours involved in this very loving bringing back of a bike from the dead. I once did a minor frame/fork swap on a 76 R75/6 as it had hit a car. It became my only purpose for getting out of bed for 3 months and consumed my every waking moment re-building/cleaning every inch of it.

Of course for the money/time it ended up costing me I could have waltzed through craigslist and bought any number of running airheads...................but whats the fun in that?

Best of luck and enjoy!

You gave up too soon.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Damn. You're brave.

I keep re-reading, you purchased that.
Good job, that's going to be one tidy bike.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Looked like something dragged up from the ocean. Great story! It's really turning into a nice runner.
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
It had been sitting outside of a barn (is that still a barn find?) with 2 r50/2's for about 30 years. I live by the coast and the salt air had really gotten to it. My friend had both the /2's, sold one on and used the money to work on the other one. I will try and get a few photos of that next time I see him.
I had to pull inch thick bramble from between the frame to even move it from where it stood. Needless to say I had to replace a lot, although some stuff came up really well with a little bit of elbow grease
RobboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
wow just wow

That is an amazing transformation!

Did you run all your own wires instead of using a oem harness? I was thinking about doing it myself but when I look at all those wires it makes me super nervous...
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

I have been making my own loom and will use a rubber housed terminal connector under the tank, with a spade fuse box under the tank too.
I had a chance to work on it over the weekend, I think the basic wiring is nearly complete. I'm just waiting for new switchgear to arrive and a battery to test it with before I route it all and apply the heat shrink and BMW wiring tape...
[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]
[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboJ View Post
I have been making my own loom and will use a rubber housed terminal connector under the tank, with a spade fuse box under the tank too.
I had a chance to work on it over the weekend, I think the basic wiring is nearly complete. I'm just waiting for new switchgear to arrive and a battery to test it with before I route it all and apply the heat shrink and BMW wiring tape...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Wouldn't it have been easier just to buy the /5 frame and engine wiring harness?

You've got more guts than I. Great job in getting a basket case back on the road.
1970's Frankenbeemer Cafe (Love this Bike)
1970 R75/5 rebuild in progress
Blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
did you put in unleaded valves,those /6 were one of the hardest accelerating bike going in the day-stock.nice would like to do a 100 with electronics for 2up rtw,but .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

As it's a /6 with /5 parts i could have adapted a /6 harness I guess, but I was taking a few things out and adding a few things in and moving plenty around. I though it would be a nice project and then if anything went wrong I would know where it was and how to fix it easily. I like the /6 frame and gave the tail of the subframe lift as well as shortening it, getting a /5 frame would have been quite expensive. Considering I paid 100 for the bike I was happy to spend a little more on replacing things and more time on changing or making things.

One question I have:
The twin output coils, do they have to be a certain way around? There are no -ve or +ve markings on the terminals. Does it matter which way round they are wired up?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

Yeah unleaded valves, the head is from a later R80 and has unleaded valves and twin plug conversion. Might accelerate a little better than standard - only a little
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
twin plugs are more for preignition problems than performance. the old combustion chamber with the newer gas is not a great combo.
If you want the performance then the conversion to a bathtub chamber is the answer but reliablity may suffer.
ducati 900 with the conversion were at about 95rwhp.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #28
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

What's a bathtub chamber?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #29
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
the coils can be connected either way!

Nice work so far, really nice!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
RobboJ OP
Adventurer

I'm just waiting for Flickr to upload my latest pictures then I'll post them here...
Basically I have nearly finished!
The loom still needs to be wrapped but it all works, I fitted a new Valeo 8 tooth starter motor and it works a treat, Boyer ignition is in the mail to fit at the weeken, all lights are working and all cables bar choke cable have been renewed.

I started the bike for the first time today, it started and ran very smoothly. I had the head covers off and let it run for about a minute on the , and oil dripped from the l/h head, but not the right. Is this normal or should equal oil be getting to both heads?