ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
IHMSAKIWI OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 19
Cry Rough running GS1150GS

Hi,

I have read / searched & googled looking for help with my 1150.

I bought a 2000 1150GS back in late September 2014 with just under 93,000K's on the clock.

It has been running like a dream until yesterday.

I have not done anything that I can think of that would have aggravated anything, ie, lifting the tank etc.
I have seen a small amount of rain water slip into the tank whilst opening the cap about a month ago due to a blocked drain hole (subsequently fixed).
Observations;
Yesterday the petrol tank did get down to one bar showing before refill.

When I initially set out from work to hit the traffic it was running very rough but put it down to needing more choke (I know...idle speed) and thought it would clear as soon a one heat bar came up. After 700 odd metres it was obvious it wasn't going to clear so I pulled over. I put it on the centre stand, turned it off and gave it a quick visual check, checking the cables, and the fuel injection modules and connections and checking them for tightness to make sure nothing was too loose. On restarting it ran fine and I hit the traffic for a half hour run into the CBD.
It was on the return trip where it started running rough all over again after running perfectly for half an hour.
Yesterday the engine temperature was for the first time in the 6 bar range due to the ambient outside temperatures and about a half hour of very slow stop / go riding in heavy motorway traffic.
It was after this period of this stop / go riding after I got into clear road
and was travelling at approx. 60 MPH that I noticed a slight "miss" from the engine. Within ten minutes I had to exit the motorway as it was running very rough and I feared it would stop. It felt like it was running on one cylinder only and would cough & splutter & accelerate and slow down. I limped home and let it cool before checking plugs which both looked OK so not sure now if it was only running on one?

So suggestions please. I am waiting on a set of feeler gauges to arrive to do a valve check.
Could it be the small amount of water I saw enter the tank?

Peter
IHMSAKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes
 
rvt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,088
If its the water, then methylated spirits help the water mix with the petrol. Not sure what it does to the fuel pump, so I would go through that tank of fuel straight away.
I think one cup of metho in a full tank would be correct? Can someone confirm this?

If not water, maybe the HES wiring starting to break down?
__________________
Cheers, RVT

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #3
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Randolph, NJ
Oddometer: 490
I'd look at the fuel filter and lines inside the tank. Has the filter been changed in the last 25000 miles? Also could be the Hall Sensor. Symptoms could be either of those.
__________________
Mike Figielski

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
tjt94
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hell Centro, CA (8 miles to Mexico)
Oddometer: 600
It might be the filter. Is the fuel pump making a lot of noise? Typically mine does when the filter is full. It also might be that the tank liner has let go and a sheet of it is plugging the fuel pick up. It is behaving much like mine did a couple of years ago. I was told at that time by several respected BMW techs that the liner has a service life and it appears that many of the bikes from around 2000 and 2001 are at that life. Regardless, the description you have provided points to fuel so you need to open up the tank and inspect the liner, the fuel lines, and replace the filter.
tjt94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
twinsig
Gnarly Adventurer
 
twinsig's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 192
Sounds like fuel issue to me. Last spring I bought fuel about 3 weeks after a flood and caused me much grief! Complete fuel sys flushing AND bought 2 lightly used injectors which eventually solved the problem.
I suggest a complete fuel sys service.
If the hoses have degraded you "might" have crap in the regulator & injectors.
FYI That gas station was sued for ruining several car engines.
__________________
2002 1150RT
twinsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Tomtraubertsblues
Adventurer
 
Tomtraubertsblues's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Flagstaff
Oddometer: 61
You mention rain water. Have you been riding a lot in the rain? A lot of people report that before a HES failure.
__________________
2003 R1150GS Adventure
Tomtraubertsblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 13,443
I think you have a clogged fuel filter. I had the same problem (water running into the tank). It eventually caused the filter to clog.

The fuel filter is a bit of a pita to reach, but certainly doable for a home mechanic.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
IHMSAKIWI OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I think you have a clogged fuel filter. I had the same problem (water running into the tank). It eventually caused the filter to clog.

The fuel filter is a bit of a pita to reach, but certainly doable for a home mechanic.
Thanks for all the input guys. I to think it is definitely fuel so I will start with a fuel filter change before anything else.
Is it imperative I do a TB balance after doing the fuel filter change? If so, I need to read up on doing one of those also.

Regards,

Peter
IHMSAKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #9
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes
 
rvt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSAKIWI View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I to think it is definitely fuel so I will start with a fuel filter change before anything else.
Is it imperative I do a TB balance after doing the fuel filter change? If so, I need to read up on doing one of those also.

Regards,

Peter
Don't see how the two are related.
Watch you don't unseat a throttle cable though.
__________________
Cheers, RVT

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Proveick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: CO
Oddometer: 1,494
Screen could have fallen off the fuel pump. Ingested a piece of tank liner.
The plastic fuel pump holder on the old one crumbled to pieces, ethanol.
__________________
My first car was a motorcycle.
Proveick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
def
Ginger th wonder dog
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSAKIWI View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I to think it is definitely fuel so I will start with a fuel filter change before anything else.
Is it imperative I do a TB balance after doing the fuel filter change? If so, I need to read up on doing one of those also.

Regards,

Peter
Peter, TB sync on your model is not reqd after a fuel filter change. But, TB sync is very easy on your model so, I would do just that...read up and try it. You might find some improvement.
__________________
The woods is closing in on me...I need a D6.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #12
Beemer Rob
Stuck in Ohio
 
Beemer Rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 65
Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSAKIWI View Post
Hi,

I have read / searched & googled looking for help with my 1150.

I bought a 2000 1150GS back in late September 2014 with just under 93,000K's on the clock.

It has been running like a dream until yesterday.

I have not done anything that I can think of that would have aggravated anything, ie, lifting the tank etc.
I have seen a small amount of rain water slip into the tank whilst opening the cap about a month ago due to a blocked drain hole (subsequently fixed).
Observations;
Yesterday the petrol tank did get down to one bar showing before refill.

When I initially set out from work to hit the traffic it was running very rough but put it down to needing more choke (I know...idle speed) and thought it would clear as soon a one heat bar came up. After 700 odd metres it was obvious it wasn't going to clear so I pulled over. I put it on the centre stand, turned it off and gave it a quick visual check, checking the cables, and the fuel injection modules and connections and checking them for tightness to make sure nothing was too loose. On restarting it ran fine and I hit the traffic for a half hour run into the CBD.
It was on the return trip where it started running rough all over again after running perfectly for half an hour.
Yesterday the engine temperature was for the first time in the 6 bar range due to the ambient outside temperatures and about a half hour of very slow stop / go riding in heavy motorway traffic.
It was after this period of this stop / go riding after I got into clear road
and was travelling at approx. 60 MPH that I noticed a slight "miss" from the engine. Within ten minutes I had to exit the motorway as it was running very rough and I feared it would stop. It felt like it was running on one cylinder only and would cough & splutter & accelerate and slow down. I limped home and let it cool before checking plugs which both looked OK so not sure now if it was only running on one?

So suggestions please. I am waiting on a set of feeler gauges to arrive to do a valve check.
Could it be the small amount of water I saw enter the tank?

Peter
I would do a compression test.

My old 2004 1150GS was acting like that when we found a burned exhaust valve on the right side....
Beemer Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
dppeter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 41
Water in the gas. Add some fuel dryer (methol alcohol).
__________________
BMW R1150RT, R1150GS both 2002, Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki Versys 2009
dppeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #14
IHMSAKIWI OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 19
Well I finally took the tank off my bike today after ordering the new fuel pump. hoses and clips and the large main tank O ring which I will have in a few days so I am ready to attack it.
I emptied as much fuel as I could get by tipping it upside down over a container. There was about a teaspoon of water and suspended in it was a lot of fine black debris.
I did this three or four times adding petrol back into the tank to flush more out and each time there was water (about half a teaspoon each time) and fine debris in the fuel.
Question; when I remove the plate with the filter attached from the inside of the tank, will it allow me to fully empty and flush it out? Tipping it upside down and shaking obviously doesn't allow 100% drainage.
My thoughts were to put a lint free cloth in the lowest part of the tank to get all liquids out then to add clean petrol, slosh it around and repeat until no further debris is found and hopefully by default I should have captured all water residue.

There were two small slithers of soft red debris. Could this be the tank Lining??

Should I look at installing one of those filter socks that attach under the fuel cap? Do many people fit these?

Peter
IHMSAKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #15
IHMSAKIWI OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 19
Sorry, another question;

Do you think I need to clean the TB's or hoses leading to the TB's or fuel injectors?

The bike was running perfectly the last week but occasionally it suffered from the "feeling like running on one cylinder" syndrome. Usually if I found a rev range where it "less rough" and simple rode without increasing revs it would clear. Sometimes it was two or three kilometres other times maybe 500 metres.
It is enough though to loss confidence in the bike and to have to worry about "what if" breakdowns. Peter
IHMSAKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015