ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Eh? Android. Mapping app that outputs a gpx or simliar file?

Heard about Trimble Outdoors and it looks cool, but I don't see where they offer any kind of data export (other than linking your maps to a google account).

Are there any apps (FOSS preferred) that accomplish the same thing (trace your path using satellite), and that saves this data as a GPX or similar file?

Ideally, the output file would be something a little better than GPX, where I could come in later with either Bing or Google maps and add some waypoints and labels, then save the whole thing as a file (rather than stored in the Cloud).

EDIT -- is there even such a thing as what I'm asking about.. a standardized data file with ability to add waypoints/labels after the fact?

EDIT2 - Dual Sport Maps looks cool, but when I go to their website I'm asked to log in to view maps.. This is kinda why I want to stay out of the clouds.

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 12:55 PM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
You may want to spend a bit more time looking at the dualsportmaps.com site & app. It does have the website as you saw, but it also has an Android App that you can store all your maps for off line use along with save your GPS tracks. It even has the ability to load your own maps you create. You can use the site to add in stuff like waypoints and stuff later to your GPX tracks and then reload it to your phone for use when you need it.

BTW, the creator of that program and site is a fellow inmate named Crafty Coder. The app is a one time $20 price to buy for your Android phone, but his attention to this program over the past 2 years and real world assistance to people that post in the thread is not something you find out there today with other apps and is what convinced me to buy it.

- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537

He's got a bunch of YT vids too that explain what the app does and how to use it and then some advanced techniques. There's a lot of happy users of this app.

- http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.r3Mf3s_wcy0

Since the program can run totally off line, some guys are just buying older dedicated Android phones to run that app on in airplane mode with the GPS going.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Google Maps on Android allows you to track your location history, which you can then pull up via a web browser to view in Google Maps / Latitude and export as a KLM (Google Earth) file. It doesn't create tracks, per se, but you can probably do that with My Tracks or some other GPS Logger (search the Play store).

GPSBabel is the free universal translator of GPS file formats... if you have what you need in one format, you'll be able to convert it to any other format you need.

Edit - Actually, check out Ultra GPS Logger.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Is there a GPS file that is widely accepted as *THE STANDARD*?

GPX seems pretty simple from the examples I've seen. KML - tied to Google Earth so probably wouldn't work so well without internet connectivity.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Is there a GPS file that is widely accepted as *THE STANDARD*?

GPX seems pretty simple from the examples I've seen. KML - tied to Google Earth so probably wouldn't work so well without internet connectivity.
GPX is becoming more and more common.
http://www.topografix.com/gpx_for_users.asp
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Orux Maps is pretty darn good
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote