ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #886
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
I might as well for all the cylinders I have sent there....

But the beauty of that 2 stroke engine is that for a little over $300 your good to go and if it was a modern 4stroke race bike you are into it for at least a grand.

I'll keep my 2 stroke....
Has anyone done a real cost comparison between 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

The oil, the fuel costs, rebuilds. I've always been curious to know.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #887
BluePill
AARP Slacker
 
BluePill's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: "God's waiting room" (Florida)
Oddometer: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone done a real cost comparison between 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

The oil, the fuel costs, rebuilds. I've always been curious to know.

Come on, Crank - You know the answer:

"If you gotta ask......................"


("Say, how much is that BMW")


__________________
If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #888
BluePill
AARP Slacker
 
BluePill's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: "God's waiting room" (Florida)
Oddometer: 4,389
__________________
If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #889
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
BMW makes 2 strokes?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #890
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 23,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone done a real cost comparison between 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

The oil, the fuel costs, rebuilds. I've always been curious to know.

Long term if you figure in the price of 2stroke oil maybe it comes close? But I think when you add in the time of increased maintenance, larger rebuild costs and additional labor hours on the 4 stroke the 2 strokes may have the lead. That is if you keep it long enough. For someone who gets a new bike every year or 2 the 4 stroke may have the advantage. All this is just a wild ass guess of course
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #891
gbg
Beastly Adventurer
 
gbg's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Glenville, NY
Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone done a real cost comparison between 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

The oil, the fuel costs, rebuilds. I've always been curious to know.
No formal studies that I know of, but by the time you figure in gear, tires, other maintenence, fuel, travel expenses, entry fees, memberships, etc, if the difference in maintenence cost between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke is the deciding factor in what you buy you've got the wrong hobby. Ride what you enjoy.
__________________
12 KTM 250 XC
82 Honda XL 250
gbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #892
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 23,668
I got about $3k into last year for "racing" that included some but not all repairs/ maintenance on the KTM. hotels, fuel (truck and bike) food etc. I spent over $7k last year between all my motorcycle related activities. Including kids bike,gear, tagging etc
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #893
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I got about $3k into last year for "racing" that included some but not all repairs/ maintenance on the KTM. hotels, fuel (truck and bike) food etc. I spent over $7k last year between all my motorcycle related activities. Including kids bike,gear, tagging etc
Back when I raced cars, I decided to keep track of how much I spent over 1 racing season. I haven't raced, since.
justme23005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #894
pvangel
Team AARP
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: South Salem, NY
Oddometer: 2,169
My 2011 YZ 125 has 63 hrs on it(have had it about 18 months?), I have replaced piston and ring twice now so $250.00. Chain and sprocket, and tires so about another $300.00 so in a season and a half $550-600. Thats pretty cheap for a race bike that gets ridden weekly. I will say that my 89 CR 125 probably cost me twice that but my CRF150 cost me half that....

The big thing is if a 250 or 450f blows up you are looking at at least $1500 and they do blow up, they really have have become disposible bikes because of the cost of parts to repair them. To me they are 10,000 rpm timebombs and really have kept alot of people out of the sport because of the cost.

In comparison my sons 99 yz 125 was raced all last season with no repairs or rebuilds, that bike has a couple hundred hrs on it at this point. I probably will do a topend before the season starts and I have to rebuild the carb so $150.00 and it's ready to go. In all fairness for comparison I did a complete rebuild of that bike a few years ago from the crank up with suspension and all and probably spent $1500.00 on it

pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #895
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
My 2011 YZ 125 has 63 hrs on it(have had it about 18 months?), I have replaced piston and ring twice now so $250.00. Chain and sprocket, and tires so about another $300.00 so in a season and a half $550-600. Thats pretty cheap for a race bike that gets ridden weekly. I will say that my 89 CR 125 probably cost me twice that but my CRF150 cost me half that....

The big thing is if a 250 or 450f blows up you are looking at at least $1500 and they do blow up, they really have have become disposible bikes because of the cost of parts to repair them. To me they are 10,000 rpm timebombs and really have kept alot of people out of the sport because of the cost.

In comparison my sons 99 yz 125 was raced all last season with no repairs or rebuilds, that bike has a couple hundred hrs on it at this point. I probably will do a topend before the season starts and I have to rebuild the carb so $150.00 and it's ready to go. In all fairness for comparison I did a complete rebuild of that bike a few years ago from the crank up with suspension and all and probably spent $1500.00 on it

As I recall, you race MX and I think that type of beating is tough on dirt bikes, more so than woods riding. If you're a mid pack guy, racing for fun. I would think racing a 4 stroke woods bike might be a good bet. Less horse power, but not wound so tight and longer living. For example, a WR450 over a YZ450.

I know a guy that races MX on a 2005-ish WR and does very well and hasn't touched the motor, I'm guessing its got 300 hrs on it. I saw him ride and he's pretty quick I think Greg is on the mark though, ride what you like. I'm the same speed on just about anything I ride, so I would never buy a high strung MX bike anyway. My woods bike is a 500,which makes zero sense

All these new bikes are so much better than most of us will ever be anyway
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #896
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 23,668
My daughters XR100 is better than I am
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #897
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,119
Somebody was actually riding today, hard to believe with this crowd.

Saw a black Ducati Monster on Rt 37 near the Danbury-New Fairfield border.

Anybody here?
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #898
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbg View Post
No formal studies that I know of, but by the time you figure in gear, tires, other maintenence, fuel, travel expenses, entry fees, memberships, etc, if the difference in maintenence cost between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke is the deciding factor in what you buy you've got the wrong hobby. Ride what you enjoy.
I think for some it's the fear of the unknown, and possibly a horror story or two.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #899
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
As I recall, you race MX and I think that type of beating is tough on dirt bikes, more so than woods riding. If you're a mid pack guy, racing for fun. I would think racing a 4 stroke woods bike might be a good bet. Less horse power, but not wound so tight and longer living. For example, a WR450 over a YZ450.

I know a guy that races MX on a 2005-ish WR and does very well and hasn't touched the motor, I'm guessing its got 300 hrs on it. I saw him ride and he's pretty quick I think Greg is on the mark though, ride what you like. I'm the same speed on just about anything I ride, so I would never buy a high strung MX bike anyway. My woods bike is a 500,which makes zero sense

All these new bikes are so much better than most of us will ever be anyway
I put almost 3 seasons on my 525 SX before I had to go into it and when I did it cost about $500. I did the work myself though.
Waiting for a failure will cost you big however.
IMO by design 450's aren't high strung and it take's a very talented rider to ride one WFO on a mx track.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #900
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 23,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Somebody was actually riding today, hard to believe with this crowd.

Saw a black Ducati Monster on Rt 37 near the Danbury-New Fairfield border.

Anybody here?
I was going to but due to the forecast of snow I didnt want to get stuck . If no snow salt tonight I will go tomorrow if not then Fri
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014