Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Likes2wrench OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Salvage R100RS --> Solid mechanically but poor cosmetically... Is it worth it?

Occasional lurker, 1st time poster looking for some sound airhead buying advice. I ran across an '83 R100RS with some collision damage and a "total loss" salvage title and I'm strongly considering making an offer. Here are the important details:

- "Owner" thinks the title is clear, but NICB disagrees (haven't informed him yet, will inform when I make or decline my offer)
- Bike was probably a "total loss" due to the fairing plastics were destroyed in the accident (last ran ~2010)
- Bike was clipped in the bags/rear and then low-sided on the left side (scraped valve cover, but not cracked)
- However, my 20 minute inspection of the bike seemed to find it strong mechanically (and I'm looking for a naked bike)
- Bad news, including the damaged parts requiring replacement: battery, headlight, LH valve cover, FR brake line, FR fender, instrument cluster, ignition cylinder is missing (all keys missing as well), rear seat cowl damage (from bag carrier deformation, needs body work & paint), and of course the plastics are destroyed
- Good news includes: no obvious frame damage (looked for cracked welds, paint cracking, eyeballed alignment, etc...), tires are current and in good condition, tank was not damaged, seat is in good condition (except cowl), forks were not damaged (other than twisted brake line), foot pegs and controls were undamaged, no obvious ENG/TM damage except valve cover, and all other areas look as expected for age/mileage (~30k)

To be honest, I'm looking for a bike to wrench on during the winter and then ride this summer. I know that I'll have to get a salvage rebuild inspection to get it titled and I know that it will never be worth restoring to original condition, nor will it ever be worth much more than a couple grand. However, it looks like a solid bike, I like the naked look (loss of bags & plastics are no issue), and I think I can get it for a pretty fair price considering the unknown salvage title business.

The only open issue is whether or not the engine runs and I wouldn't purchase this beast without checking that 1st (owner already agreed to let me try if interested). So, what do you guys think?

Is it even worth making an offer on?
What do you think it should be worth realistically? [I don't want to insult him too bad with my "salvage" offer]

Looking forward to some sage advice!

Likes2wrench screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 07:16 AM Reason: [Fixed embedded picture size]
Likes2wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
Impossible to say really, what we (I) would need to know is the current mileage and if there is any mechanical history.

The big cost items that are typical of BMW's somewhere around 60K miles (+/- obviously) are:
  • Exhaust valve guides
  • Exhuast valves
  • Transmission rebuild
If there are records these have been done, it adds value, if not it makes the purchase more of a gamble....
In my neck of the woods, I would say a non-salvage naked R100RS with the missing bits you list would probably sell for something in the range of $1,500 - 2,500 depending on the number of people look. Personally, if it is a salvage bike, not running and with no history, I wouldn't pay more than $800 at the absolute top end and would expect the owner to turn me down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Likes2wrench OP
n00b

The mileage is ~30k and there is no maintenance history. To be honest, I was going to max out at ~$1500 if the bike had a clear title and could be shown to run. Now that I know that it's a salvage title, my tentative price range has dropped to somewhere between $500 (non-running) and $750 (running), so your suggestion was close to my reckoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Impossible to say really, what we (I) would need to know is the current mileage and if there is any mechanical history.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
You can find perfectly decent R100/7's for less than $3k, that really don't need much of anything and don't have a salvage title. Even without a salvage title this bike would cost far too return to true R100RS form with correct bodywork , etc., so it's neither fish nor fowl. If you could buy it and turn it into a runner for a total of $1500 or less it might be worth it, but that all depends on how much value you place on your time and sweat-equity. It might make a pretty good platform for a cafe boxer. If it doesn't require much mechanical stuff, you can probably fit a cool cafe style mono-seat and cowl, Ducati-style cafe fairing, and some bar-end mirrors and paint it all for around $1500, so you can probably have something finished and unique for under $3k.

Something like this silver bike at the top of the page:

http://bikehooligan.wordpress.com/20...fe-racer-bmws/
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Likes2wrench OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Even without a salvage title this bike would cost far too return to true R100RS form with correct bodywork , etc., so it's neither fish nor fowl.
Agreed. I had no intention to restore the bodywork since I like the naked look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It might make a pretty good platform for a cafe boxer. If it doesn't require much mechanical stuff, you can probably fit a cool cafe style mono-seat and cowl, Ducati-style cafe fairing, and some bar-end mirrors and paint it all for around $1500, so you can probably have something finished and unique for under $3k.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Rat/cafe...

Likes2wrench screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 08:57 AM Reason: Re-arranged
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,430
you would be fine withing the 500-750 area, if you decided not to do the build, you could part it out and easily make back you money and then some, trust me, I've done it!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,435
Don't think about it just follow your passion. If you want something to work on this bike is perfect.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
Part it out, its worth $1000 easy... just have to take the time to do it. trans is worth 750 motor 750 whole more broken down and the list goes on and on...

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
dan-o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hey, I have seen that bike. Is it still in BG Ohio? If I remember correctly all of te fairing pieces are there and they can be put back together. I know a body shop that has experiance with doing that
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Likes2wrench OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Don't think about it just follow your passion. If you want something to work on this bike is perfect.
That is precisely my attitude!