ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #46
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Your first 100 mile race?

Here's a tip.........take MONDAY off too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
I was hoping this thread would happen soon... I am planning on attending this event and WAS planning on entering in the 100 race... but watching some of the footage has made me a little nervous... The video that Darryl has posted of his 950 is terrifying, fascinating and freaking cool. Especially when he is flying past guys on "actual" dirt bikes by bushwacking through the sage...

This will be my first enduro event, and although I consider myself an "intermediate rider", I have not had a real dirt bike since I was a teenager twenty years ago. I know that the 100 is going to require some training, and I'm starting my regimen on Saturday morning at Tahuya! For those that have done this race before, what are your tips and suggestions? Do you need to take tools for a flat repair? Food? Is it unbelievably brutal or can the average weekend warrior show up on his drz and be fine? I know I want more challenge than the dual sport ride, and I love the idea of racing for 100 miles. It looks truly epic.

I have friends that set "fitness goals" for themselves around an upcoming triathlon or marathon. Eff that. The Desert 100 is going to be my fitness goal!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinace View Post
watch out for them imbedded rocks... they sneak up on ya! Have fun!
Hey stranger! Are they any worse than Central Oregon? Baja?
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #48
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post

Having riden both, yes...worse since you are in a "race" atmosphere so most likely moving just a bit faster. Factor in bikes around you, dust and excitement those rocks can ruin your day quickly. If you treat the ride as a brisk sunday trail ride, you'll be fine.

Hope to see more adventure bikes out there. You guys going to let Darryl win his own prize again? If you check the thread started by Darryl, you'll see my update on the bottleneck issue on Crab Creek and what we plan on doing.

Mike
2013 D100 Co-Chair
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Greg when are you guys heading north? I'm doing the race on Sunday but my buds are strangely quiet about going up, so I may not leave here until late on Friday or even Saturday since nobodies going. Do you guys need another truck with room for one more bike in the convoy? Mileage on my truck is almost survivable *if* it's split two ways . No plan to drive the Wife's TDI Passat like last year, I almost didn't make it out of the mud bog.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Greg when are you guys heading north? I'm doing the race on Sunday but my buds are strangely quiet about going up, so I may not leave here until late on Friday or even Saturday since nobodies going. Do you guys need another truck with room for one more bike in the convoy? Mileage on my truck is almost survivable *if* it's split two ways . No plan to drive the Wife's TDI Passat like last year, I almost didn't make it out of the mud bog.
I can remember seeing you parked behind us and thinking " this poor Guy, he's got some passion for sure"
We would be real lucky to have rain again this year. However, I think the odds are against us
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
Having riden both, yes...worse since you are in a "race" atmosphere so most likely moving just a bit faster. Factor in bikes around you, dust and excitement those rocks can ruin your day quickly. If you treat the ride as a brisk sunday trail ride, you'll be fine.

Hope to see more adventure bikes out there. You guys going to let Darryl win his own prize again? If you check the thread started by Darryl, you'll see my update on the bottleneck issue on Crab Creek and what we plan on doing.

Mike
2013 D100 Co-Chair
I just heard from a Friend, We might have a Canadian ringer coming in.. Could turn into a great race. But I dont want to thrash my bike again, so.. famous last words.
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #52
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
I'm going Friday morning and making a pit stop in Walla Walla to see my daughter and drop my wife off for the weekend. I am getting the same email equivalent of avoiding eye contact from my friends too, especially as it gets closer. We could have two trailers and 10 plus riders...or just me. Let's keep in touch as it gets closer. No sense burning a bunch of extra gas with two half empty trucks. BTW, your pictures from last year...I can still "feel" them a year later!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #53
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
I've been running the Tubliss system on my 450 for years now with zero issues. Fixing a puncture is a 5 minute exercise if you take your time. I'm going to install the Tubliss on the 250 and thinking strongly about running a Pirelli TT. Imagine it will be ok as long as the course isn't super muddy.
I had a little trouble with my TT last year. Luckily I had bought it used since it did not make it thru 1 lap of the Iron Man. It looked like it was brand new. I run a Tubliss on the rear too. Perhaps if I had started with more air in it. I had to start cutting my tire plugs in half so I had twice as many...

First hole. Bike is not even dirty yet!

About 3/4 of the way around on my first lap. I finally got tired of blowing the thing up and just finished the lap with 0 psi. Not so much fun.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #54
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantizzle View Post
I've got the Pirelli. It looked fine after 60 miles of dirt. 10 miles of street were not so easy on them.
I took a well used mt43 off my 200exc and put it on my plated xr650r. I not have over 250 miles of street (up to 85mph) and 150 miles of dirt on it. Still amazing traction.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #55
NWPanzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey there -
I'm completely new to this forum and new to dirt - Can anyone fill me in on the D100 Dual Sport run. Is this a "run as fast as you can" type of ride or is it something a guy can take his time with and enjoy the scenery and knowledge that I'm not going to destroy my bike in the process?

I'm curious because I would like to enter but if I'm gonna get ran over by guys with bigger checkbooks than me on their GS1200's who just wanna thrash up the desert, then I'll be happy to just ride out and watch the start of the actual race.
NWPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #56
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPanzer View Post
Hey there -
I'm completely new to this forum and new to dirt - Can anyone fill me in on the D100 Dual Sport run. Is this a "run as fast as you can" type of ride or is it something a guy can take his time with and enjoy the scenery and knowledge that I'm not going to destroy my bike in the process?

I'm curious because I would like to enter but if I'm gonna get ran over by guys with bigger checkbooks than me on their GS1200's who just wanna thrash up the desert, then I'll be happy to just ride out and watch the start of the actual race.
Guys on 800's-1200's will be the slowest in the desert haha! Im willing to bet if you ride a 200-650 you would just walk all over them off road.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #57
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey there -

Saturday is the poker run and DS ride. Both are rides and not races. Ride at your pace and have a great time. Lots to see out there in the desert. One time we just stopped in a ravine and watched the wildlife. Later that night the real wildlife came out
come on out and ride the DS or poker run, you wont be sorry.
Sunday is the race.
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #58
NWPanzer
Adventurer

ride at your own pace - that's what I was hoping to hear. I love the sagebrush and desert around Odessa, so yes, I'll be signing up for the DS ride. Sounds like a great way to get my boots dirty.
NWPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #59
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
ride at your own pace - that's what I was hoping to hear. I love the sagebrush and desert around Odessa, so yes, I'll be signing up for the DS ride. Sounds like a great way to get my boots dirty.
As a club member, I don't even have the chance to ride the DS route and from what I hear, you get some good stuff that is relatively untouched (read between the lines...smooth!)

Reviewed the route chart I got for this year...takes you all over Lincoln County....on backroads.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
NWPanzer
Adventurer

Man oh man - with the sun out today, I'm just itchin to get out there. Is there an online version of the route we can look at or just wait and be surprised during the event?