ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #76
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
If you are riding to Odessa and back, I prolly wouldn't do the race. Take your time for the race and the bike will survive fine, but you'll be wooped which will suck and probably not the safest of rides home.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #77
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,698
PSSOR Training

We still have a few spaces open for our special Friday training events.
If your an experienced rider looking to improve your skills check out our level 3.

Signing up for our courses get's you early entry on Thursday afternoon.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #78
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,306
Will you cover lane splitting, madaddy?
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #79
Wiz636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Glad to see all the interest here!

After scanning through this thread I will try briefly answer many of the questions I am seeing posted.

The race site is located 7.1 miles west of Odessa at the intersection of Hwy 28 & Irby Rd. The entrance is off Irby Rd.

There is a separate 'dual sport' camping area onsite designed for the hardcore guys that are riding to/from the event. No boxes allowed in this particular area.

The Dual Sport poker run on Saturday will travel on portions of the race course (the easier sections), gravel roads, back roads, all the way into Wilson Creek for some more off road travel and also some other off road travel...both single track and two-track type stuff. It also takes you into Odessa where you can top off your fuel at the gas station and one of the checkpoints is the Rocky Coulee Brewery where the first 100 guys to sign up get a coupon for lunch (sponsored by KTM of Gresham). Poker run prizes are awarded at 3:30 at the stage.

For the guys that want to enter the ADV class for the race: The ADV class is a one-lap class (50 miles). The course is rough and in some spots technical. It will not be easy on a big bike...but it is definitely doable and when you finish it will definitely be a 'notch in your belt'.

RideWest BMW in Seattle is coordinating a semi to haul bikes over and back...contact them for more info.

Trials tires: I personally would not run them there. To avoid pinch flats you would would have to air them up to the point that it defeats their purpose of flexing and grabbing the terrain. If you are a smooth rider that is not going to be pounding the terrain then they would probably be okay, but a knobby of some sort with an UHD tube is your safest bet.

Conditioning: Core and legs. Stairmaster and squats. You will want to stand as much as possible.

We have eliminated the sketchy section between the RR tracks and the creek that causes problems for some riders and creates a bottleneck backup. Oh wait, that is only for race day . That sketchy section will be part of the Ironman Poker Run, but not the Dual Sport Poker Run.

If you ride the race on Sunday you will get to ride a whole lot of sweet miles that are not part of any of the poker runs.

You will have a blast! Did I miss anything?

Pete

Edit: While much of the race course is rough and has some gnarly whoops, the smart riders stay off to the sides out of the main lines that do not get as much traffic. Much smoother!

Wiz636 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 10:49 AM
Wiz636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #80
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,224
How "ironman" is the ironman poker run??

Can anyone compare it to the Dual Sport poker run?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #81
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Carpool ? Everett 1 guy + bike.

Just throwin' this out there..
I would like to go to the D 100 for the first time, have an older 200 that id like to do the ironman poker run with and watch the race some before heading back. I dont know any riders in area and curious in any others are in same shape, i may be able to get a trailer to haul more than 1 bike, I have a bumper rack, lots of camping gear, happy to split expenses either my rig or others and save some $$..would want to get there first thing fri am for opening..can be very flexible..
been hitting walker a couple times a week and watching these threads and u-tube vids has me itchin' to do/see this in person.
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #82
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post

The IM course is 2 laps of about 30-40 miles depending on how we lay out this years course. An average rider can finish it in 4 hrs or so. Nice thing about the Poker Run is you can hit the IM course first lap and family lap second time around...depending on how you are feeling.

If you can ride walker for a few hours, you'll be fine. Just watch out for other riders and kids riding with their parents.

Mike/SJMC
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #83
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
The IM course is 2 laps of about 30-40 miles depending on how we lay out this years course. An average rider can finish it in 4 hrs or so. Nice thing about the Poker Run is you can hit the IM course first lap and family lap second time around...depending on how you are feeling.

If you can ride walker for a few hours, you'll be fine. Just watch out for other riders and kids riding with their parents.

Mike/SJMC
Never been to Walker (Texas Ranger?) but sounds like fun. I watched some 2012 odessa ironman footage and it looks doable on the pig.

See ya there!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #84
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post

I normaly ride one lap of the ironman course on my 610 before heading out on the Dual Sport ride. It should be challenging, but do able on your 350 or 650.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #85
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz636 View Post
There is a separate 'dual sport' camping area onsite designed for the hardcore guys that are riding to/from the event. No boxes allowed in this particular area.
Nice! I was wonderin' what it was going to be like squeezing in my little peice of nylon between a F350 and a dually RAM 3500 Cummins turbo. Am I correct in my understanding that no camp fires are allowed and no drinking water is provided?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #86
Wiz636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Nice! I was wonderin' what it was going to be like squeezing in my little peice of nylon between a F350 and a dually RAM 3500 Cummins turbo. Am I correct in my understanding that no camp fires are allowed and no drinking water is provided?
There are no wood burning fires allowed. Propane fires are fine though. There is no drinking water available but there is a food court very close to the dual sport camping area. There is also a large beer tent!
Wiz636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #87
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
There is also a large beer tent!
Go on....

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #88
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
I normaly ride one lap of the ironman course on my 610 before heading out on the Dual Sport ride. It should be challenging, but do able on your 350 or 650.

That sounds great. I think I'll do that.

So do you register for the Dual Sport ride or the ironman ride?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #89
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
register for the dual sport ride, you get to choose which lap on the course you want to take, as in the ironman, family or what ever.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #90
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
There is also a large beer tent!
MMMMmmmmm.... beer. That sounds like an even better place to camp than the dual sport area!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote