ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #91
Wiz636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Go on....
With live music...
Wiz636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #92
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz636 View Post
With live music...
The best Party in town
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #93
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Can't find it anywhere in the thread, but do we just show up Saturday and register for the DS run or is there a form? I only found the pre-regestration for the race.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #94
Wiz636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAknobbyknuckles View Post
Can't find it anywhere in the thread, but do we just show up Saturday and register for the DS run or is there a form? I only found the pre-regestration for the race.
Follow this link to the pre-registration forms for all of the events. Use the Poker Run form. We don't do online registration however, the forms must be printed/mailed and received by March 26th. http://stumpjumpers.org/2013/01/24/2...-registration/

You can also find links and stay up to date on Facebook...just search SJMC Desert 100
Wiz636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #95
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Great, thanks for the help guys!

See ya out there!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #96
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Pre registration sent.

Not sure I'm ready to admit to being classified as an "old timer" though.

2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #97
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wiz 636, thanks for the help. I got it printed off and ready to send.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #98
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I'm thinking about signing up for the Dual sport ride. In the Desert 100 FAQ it doesn't recommend BMW GS bikes for novice riders. I've got a G 650 GS and would say my riding skills are right on the line between novice and intermediate. It sounds like part of the course is easy (gravel roads and such) and I've done lots of that. I've done a little harder technical riding down in the desert SW (Big Bend & Guadalupe National Parks) usually with the bike loaded with lots of camping gear and while I was usually a little grumpy and wishing I was on a dirt bike, I made it through ok. I took an intro course at Rawhyde Offroad recently so good off-road riding technique is fresh in my mind. Is the warning about GSs more for people who've recently bought a nice big 1200 and haven't taken it offroad much or I am going to be hating life when I get out there and hit a single track section?
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #99
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Girl View Post
I'm thinking about signing up for the Dual sport ride. In the Desert 100 FAQ it doesn't recommend BMW GS bikes for novice riders. I've got a G 650 GS and would say my riding skills are right on the line between novice and intermediate. It sounds like part of the course is easy (gravel roads and such) and I've done lots of that. I've done a little harder technical riding down in the desert SW (Big Bend & Guadalupe National Parks) usually with the bike loaded with lots of camping gear and while I was usually a little grumpy and wishing I was on a dirt bike, I made it through ok. I took an intro course at Rawhyde Offroad recently so good off-road riding technique is fresh in my mind. Is the warning about GSs more for people who've recently bought a nice big 1200 and haven't taken it offroad much or I am going to be hating life when I get out there and hit a single track section?

There is no super tight single track on dual sport ride that will leave you hating life. If you stick with the family route within the camp riding portion, you'll be fine...but there are some rocks. Quite a few of them in fact.

Not knowing your bike, googled it and I am going to assume you have some sort of knobby tire on it instead of the street oriented tires? If not, then the trails within camp could become challenging, especially if wet or muddy.

Lastly, can you pick your bike up if you dump it? I am sure someone would help you but it is a fair question if no one is around.

Mike/SJMC
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #100
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
There is no super tight single track on dual sport ride that will leave you hating life. If you stick with the family route within the camp riding portion, you'll be fine...but there are some rocks. Quite a few of them in fact.

Not knowing your bike, googled it and I am going to assume you have some sort of knobby tire on it instead of the street oriented tires? If not, then the trails within camp could become challenging, especially if wet or muddy.

Lastly, can you pick your bike up if you dump it? I am sure someone would help you but it is a fair question if no one is around.

Mike/SJMC
Thanks! Rocks are no problem......I just moved up here from El Paso so I'm quite familiar with them. I do have knobbier tires on and have no issues picking up the bike. I think I'll be mailing in my registration form today.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #101
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
I'm thinking about signing up for the Dual sport ride. In the Desert 100 FAQ it doesn't recommend BMW GS bikes for novice riders. I've got a G 650 GS and would say my riding skills are right on the line between novice and intermediate. It sounds like part of the course is easy (gravel roads and such) and I've done lots of that. I've done a little harder technical riding down in the desert SW (Big Bend & Guadalupe National Parks) usually with the bike loaded with lots of camping gear and while I was usually a little grumpy and wishing I was on a dirt bike, I made it through OK. I took an intro course at Rawhyde Offroad recently so good off-road riding technique is fresh in my mind. Is the warning about GSs more for people who've recently bought a nice big 1200 and haven't taken it offroad much or I am going to be hating life when I get out there and hit a single track section?
You'll be fine and Im sure you will also have a great time. ANY GS would work alright for the dual sport ride. Like Mike mentioned tires should have some grip, But Knobbies wont be necessary, unless it rains, then all bets are off.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #102
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
That sounds great. I think I'll do that.

So do you register for the Dual Sport ride or the ironman ride?
Dual Sport to get the route sheet for the rest of the ride and free lunch ticket if your early
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #103
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
White Knuckle at Odessa tomorrow. Good D100 training. Race starts at 11:00 am sharp.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #104
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:

The dual sport route isn't an adventure bike route. It's aimed at street legal dirt bikes. Lot's of people ride this route on KLR's or similar bikes. I rode the route last year on a smaller lighter 650. There were a couple of steep desents and hill climbs. Mostly is was rolling sand woops. If you are going to ignore the recomendation : don't ride alone, be prepaired to pick your bike up (alot) , remove your mirrors and anything else that might brake in a tip over, knobby tires in good condtion are a must. If you get over your head try not to hate life.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
The dual sport route isn't an adventure bike route. It's aimed at street legal dirt bikes. Lot's of people ride this route on KLR's or similar bikes. I rode the route last year on a smaller lighter 650. There were a couple of steep desents and hill climbs. Mostly is was rolling sand woops. If you are going to ignore the recomendation : don't ride alone, be prepaired to pick your bike up (alot) , remove your mirrors and anything else that might brake in a tip over, knobby tires in good condtion are a must. If you get over your head try not to hate life.
Don't tell that to the 990 guys... Of course maybe Darryl, Dave Wachs, etc don't count...

I'm psyched. Thought I might sneak out and get a GP or Harescramble in at Prineville this last weekend but it didn't work out. DID get to ride with my kid out there though, and that was a blast! Managed to stay pretty faithful on the workouts, been riding 2x a week and am probably in the best shape of the last 6 - 10 years (which feels weird). Which also, as Greg mentioned, makes it a little easier to be classified in with the Geezers on the registration form .

Speaking of Greg... my buddies are all still silent. Are you still heading up to Walla Walla or something first?
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote