Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Gawd we're getting to be a bunch of old geezers! I'm 72 and still managing to ride 100 or so miles daily plus squeeze in trips to MX, AK, and NS. I can see where things begin to close in though at different times for us. I still like my little Ninja 650R best for touring but I've got a nice sidecar sleeping in the garage just waiting. Hacks aren't for everyone and they don't work the same way as bikes or scooters so there's a learning curve that needs to be addressed. I personally think it's worth it though and once you're comfortable with how they work they'll take you anywhere. Scooters and bikes alike will eventually be too great a challenge for us so it's nice to be looking for alternate solutions. Never stop riding...

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
[QUOTE=larrylarry75;20693154]Gawd we're getting to be a bunch of old geezers! I'm 72 and still managing to ride 100 or so miles daily plus squeeze in trips to MX, AK, and NS. I can see where things begin to close in though at different times for us. I still like my little Ninja 650R best for touring but I've got a nice sidecar sleeping in the garage just waiting. Hacks aren't for everyone and they don't work the same way as bikes or scooters so there's a learning curve that needs to be addressed. I personally think it's worth it though and once you're comfortable with how they work they'll take you anywhere. Scooters and bikes alike will eventually be too great a challenge for us so it's nice to be looking for alternate solutions. Never stop riding...

LL75 [/QUOT

I agree that sidecars are great. I had a 150cc Stella with a Cozy Sidcar a few years ao, then bought a Ural Tourist. Both were tons of fun, but you're right, a definite "learning curve". I'll take a sidecar rig over a trike any day.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
As long as yer knees are in the breeze, it matters not whether your wheels are two or three in number...

gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
BTW, you may want to check with the Texas Road Rats out of San Antonio, TX if you want some company for part of your ride. They are mostly Burgie owners but all love their runs around Texas.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
GJMark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
Brodon, you are following my steps. Luckily my old body held up a little longer than yours. 81. Yup, lousy knees, lousy balance. I was dedicated to BMW bikes, last one a R1200GS. For some years now I knew that when I have to, the next step is a maxi-scooter. As a farewell this past September still rode the GS, three weeks, coast to coast, 8.000 miles. Wonderful trip, but every time I had to stop, I was worried. Sold with 180K miles. I wanted to go lighter than a Burgman 650. That way I know I can keep going for a few years. Picked up a almost new Yamaha Majesty. I plan to seriously tour with it. Like Maryland-Georgia, Maryland-Maine. Keeping riding is all that matters.
I have 26,000 miles on my '05 Majesty including several trips to and through Wyoming and one 2,500 mile trip to California to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. It is fun to pull Vail Pass in Colorado (12,000 ft.) at 65 mph. Doc sliders in the variator helped power through higher engine revs and I get 55-60 mpg on the interstate. If my wife didn't love traveling on our Royal Star Venture so much, the Majesty would be my traveling machine. In my opinion, the Majesty would be a good choice. Enjoy your ride!
GJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I have a Burman 400 and I wonder how much better the 650 is for Touring that the 400 is? Any ody rode both and can give a good comparison?
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The 650 is more like a motorcycle in both character and road manners. If you can flat foot a 650 then you will enjoy the added leg room, but if 5'8" or shorter the 400 is fine. Both have excellent weather coverage but where the 650 really shines is on the interstate, where it is turning far less RPM's at cruising speed! The 650 also handles better in the curves, although you will not notice it unless you are really cooking. Power wise it is not even close, 650 all the way. That being said, I chose the 400 because it is so much handier around town, a smaller person than I can ride it, it does a great job touring solo and it gets 70mpg running it fairly hard. I have a touring bike for two up travel and it works far better than any maxi-scooter in that role. If this tells you anything, I have several friends that own multi brand dealerships, and they bought the Burgman 400 for themselves over either the 650 Burgman or Silverwing because of the versatility. The choice is yours!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,944
I think it's most simply summarized by saying the 400 feels like a big scooter and the 650 feels like a motorcycle.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #24
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys, I have a 400 Burg thats still in rebuilding stages that I havent even rode yet but am dying to. I was just wondering the differences from those that have tried both. I cant wait to get the 400 inspected so I can get it on the road here, really looking forward to the power of the 400 after having a Zuma 125 and still have a Zuma50.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
If you are doing any cylinder work, have you considered taking it out to a 450 if there is enough metal in there?
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

No engine work. Previous owner ran into the back of something so all the plastic was screwed up and headlights broken. its going to be a naked Burgman when its back on the road, just havent had much time lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
If you are doing any cylinder work, have you considered taking it out to a 450 if there is enough metal in there?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJMark View Post
I have 26,000 miles on my '05 Majesty including several trips to and through Wyoming and one 2,500 mile trip to California to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. It is fun to pull Vail Pass in Colorado (12,000 ft.) at 65 mph. Doc sliders in the variator helped power through higher engine revs and I get 55-60 mpg on the interstate. If my wife didn't love traveling on our Royal Star Venture so much, the Majesty would be my traveling machine. In my opinion, the Majesty would be a good choice. Enjoy your ride!

I'm not up there in years yet (will be 54 next month) but have some serious disabilities, including serious arthritis and fibromyalgia. I plan to retire on my 55th birthday, just 13 months away. Yippeeeee!!!! I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after thinking about it for awhile. It was getting to be to much for me to handle in parking lots and tight places. But what finally made up my mind was it's 35 mpg. I literally couldn't afford to ride it anymore.

The Burg 650 is also too big for me, and I don't ever plan to carry a passenger. The Burg 400 is too expensive, and is only available with ABS, which is not for me. Same thing for the Silverwing. After selling the 'Wing, I have enough to pay cash for a new Majesty. I'm going to test ride it again, I can't afford to make a mistake, as it will be my last new bike. I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm not up there in years yet (will be 54 next month) but have some serious disabilities, including serious arthritis and fibromyalgia. I plan to retire on my 55th birthday, just 13 months away. Yippeeeee!!!! I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after thinking about it for awhile. It was getting to be to much for me to handle in parking lots and tight places. But what finally made up my mind was it's 35 mpg. I literally couldn't afford to ride it anymore.

The Burg 650 is also too big for me, and I don't ever plan to carry a passenger. The Burg 400 is too expensive, and is only available with ABS, which is not for me. Same thing for the Silverwing. After selling the 'Wing, I have enough to pay cash for a new Majesty. I'm going to test ride it again, I can't afford to make a mistake, as it will be my last new bike. I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
Jerry;
you should look at the Burgman usa forum, used machines with low mileage show up there for sale frequently. I have no experience with the Majesty , but I think they did not sell well here in the states and I do not recall seeing any posts about them with high mileage. So I wonder if it is a good machine for the length of time and miles you plan to put on. ??
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #29
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 149
I also have ridden loads of two-wheelers over the years. Last year I fell in love with a 2012 Silver Wing and have not looked back! Since May I have put 5500 miles on it with 0 problems. Here is a link to a solo trip I made to Yosemite last summer:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824559

Next week I am taking a trip with two other friends to the Monument Valley, Southern Utah area. Actually two of the friends from my previous ride, but my buddy with the V-Star has gone to a Gold Wing! My Silver Wing, a Gold Wing and a KLR 650! Should be a blast and another 1300 miles!!! Sorry got to go change my oil! Good luck!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 05:50 AM
Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

I don't know how it is where you are but here in Canada Honda has ben awash in new Non-current SilverWings for years. They have been available for $1000's off MSRP, about the same price as a Majesty. Why is this important?

Check the Majesty forums. 70,000 miles is high mileage for a bike ridden on the highway. Truth to tell, I think that's pretty good for a 395 single, but it sounds like that's not what you are looking for.

A SilverWing can do the kind of mileage you are seeking and more without even breathing hard. It's no longer a trendy model. There must be non-current bikes and deals around.

I was reading about a retired gent on his Swing who had an accident, his had 294,000 miles on it and was still running well before the crash. Amazing!

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 09:45 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote