Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
? My figures work out to only 70.6 mpg

If it is only 70 mpg, that sucks as far as I'm concerned!

My CBR125R gets around 100 mpg and my NC700X has had various people get 90 mpg when they wanted to!

There must be something wrong with the stats reported.
Yep, I'm missed the kilometer part. Not very impressive.

And that 30bhp is prolly 15bhp at the rear wheel.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
I don't understand why people get a hard-on for diesel bikes. As stated previously, a single cylinder, 400cc diesel will put out 10hp....not 30. There are quite a few motorcycles and tons of scooters sold in the US that get more than 70mpg. Diesel costs more than gas in most parts of the US. If you've ever actually owned a diesel engine powered vehicle...then you know the starter motor and battery needs to be relatively ginormous....and those two components are the heaviest by volume of any part on an engine. Lastly...have fun trying to kickstart an engine with 20:1 compression.
+1

I don't like to piss on anyone's parade, but I just don't see the point at all. Maybe I'm weird, IDK, but I ride primarily for the simple joy of it. It's my passion and I see nothing here to inspire remote interest, let alone, passion. There are a ton of enjoyable and very capable bikes that get 40-50mpg all day long, and a good number that do even better. Why anyone would want to spend their riding time on a turd just to save 20 bucks a week in fuel is beyond me.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,164
Maybe because in India, where this bike is built and marketed the price differential between "petrol" (gasoline) and diesel is 44%, diesel being less expensive. (September 2012 prices, city of Mumbai: 77 rs for 1L for petrol vs 43 rs for 1L diesel) Now it does it start to make sense?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 365
dont know as I would want to own one, but I would love to test ride one just to find out what it was like.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,164
Also, in India typical urban riding conditions are stop and crawl, with occasional congested spurts up to 30 mph. That seems to be appropriate for a diesel engine.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
The technology must be pretty old on that engine. You can get better milage out of a lot of diesel cars. I think that for the short term, diesel cars are a great idea. I truly wish that Japan and Europe car makes would bring more of their smaller diesels to market here in North America.

Diesel bikes? Well, there are quite a few people in Europe that have done their own conversions with more modern small 500-800cc diesel engines and they are getting well over 100 MPG. Some reports I have seen, have them getting close to 150MPG on bikes that could be a replacement for big touring rigs.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,440
I guess the point is you can make your own diesel out of deep fryer fat . It's not that hard to do. It just one of the thing out there that might make to market. Just like the Compressed air engine is going to be in a Europe car in 2014.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Maybe because in India, where this bike is built and marketed the price differential between "petrol" (gasoline) and diesel is 44%, diesel being less expensive. (September 2012 prices, city of Mumbai: 77 rs for 1L for petrol vs 43 rs for 1L diesel) Now it does it start to make sense?
Yes, in many developing parts of the world, where diesel is the cheaper fuel, and where two wheeled vehicles are used as cheap forms of basic transportation by those that can't afford a car, yes it makes perfect sense. But, here in the states the opposite is true. Diesel is more expensive, and by and large, motorcycles are used primarily as recreational vehicles. I just don't see economy of operation being the driving force behind the market here. I certainly know it isn't for me.

Both, my H-D and my GS, get better than 40mpg, not that that was a driving force in my purchasing decision, but they are also both very enjoyable to ride, and both make good usable (fun) power, and are fully capable of freeway speeds and satisfying acceleration. I'm more than willing to spend a few more dollars in fuel related expense to have the enjoyment that they bring. After all, that's why I ride them.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I guess the point is you can make your own diesel out of deep fryer fat . It's not that hard to do. It just one of the thing out there that might make to market. Just like the Compressed air engine is going to be in a Europe car in 2014.
Yes, I've seen a few oddballs that do just that. It's usually readily available for free from many restaurants. But consider what would happen if it went from being just the oddballs doing it to it becoming more "normal" Do you think that there is enough "deep fat frying" going on to supply a wide scale demand for its byproduct? It's just not a viable source of fuel for the masses. But, I suppose that if one wanted to be that frugal and join in with the oddballs, then yeah, one could save a few bucks and ride cheaply. I'm a tightwad myself, but I guess I'm just not quite THAT cheap!

Randy screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:40 AM
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Also, in India typical urban riding conditions are stop and crawl, with occasional congested spurts up to 30 mph. That seems to be appropriate for a diesel engine.
Maybe if you're driving a bus, but the motorcycles never seem to slow down.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yes, I've seen a few oddballs that do just that. It's usually readily available for free from many restaurants. But consider what would happen if it went from being just the oddballs doing it to it becoming more "normal" Do you think that there is enough "deep fat frying" going on to supply a wide scale demand for its byproduct? It's just not a viable source of fuel for the masses. But, I suppose that if one wanted to be that frugal and join in with the oddballs, then yeah, one could save a few bucks and ride cheaply. I'm a tightwad myself, but I guess I'm just not quite THAT cheap!
\

Gee odd ball , There s no I want to be a that , Shit I ride a scooter 300 plus days a year. Oh I m an odd ball . One day bike well go back to being everyday transport when gas get really high. Give it 10 years or so.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
\

Gee odd ball , There s no I want to be a that , Shit I ride a scooter 300 plus days a year. Oh I m an odd ball . One day bike well go back to being everyday transport when gas get really high. Give it 10 years or so.
Yeah, and when that happens used fry oil will no longer be free or easy to come by. Just sayin'. In this country, for what the vast majority of buyers buy bikes for, I simply see no market or purpose for a small displacement, diesel bike.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 365
When asked about lane sharing in India my friend Naveen said " in India we do not have lanes but we do have sharing" so I bet the bikes keep moving through the traffic.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #29
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
That engine looks very much like it's derived from the old XR400 / TRX400 quad lump?

To my mind, an export version of this bike would be far better with the original petrol engine - then you would have a genuine 30bhp, and still get around 50 miles to the (US) gallon?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #30
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I was always under the impression that approx 15cc is equal to 1 hp, which means this bike would have roughly 30.

I love diesel stuff and think a diesel bike is a neat idea, but this bike would leave me wanting something more. Turbo it so i get some real power, or something.

I would also want it in a dual sport frame of some sort.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote