Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
I was always under the impression that approx 15cc is equal to 1 hp, which means this bike would have roughly 30.

I love diesel stuff and think a diesel bike is a neat idea, but this bike would leave me wanting something more. Turbo it so i get some real power, or something.

I would also want it in a dual sport frame of some sort.
I just bought a turbo diesel Kubota tractor this year. 230 [3769 cc] cubic inches,4 valves per cylinder, 2600 rpm = 95bhp.
That works out to 39.3 cc per hp.
Diesels are great at putting out great torque over a good spread of rpm and doing it ecconomicly for years.What they aren't good at is constantly changing rpm as you would on a spirited bike ride. Sure a diesel will steadily pull you up the road , but while that gets work done it's not that fun.
Another thing , I keep hearing people say turbo it ,as if that's a magic bullet. Turbo's work great, but a single is not really suitable for a turbo. The turbo needs a constant flow of exhaust gas to spin it and the air it compresses needs a constant opening to go to. A four stroke single with one exhaust pulse every 2 crankshaft rotations and 1 intake in the same amount of time is a lot of starting and stopping . Air doesn't like that.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Sure a diesel will steadily pull you up the road , but while that gets work done it's not that fun.
This^^^
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, and when that happens used fry oil will no longer be free or easy to come by. Just sayin'
That's already the case in many places. Around here restaurants are starting to lock their outdoor grease containers.

I love the sari guard. I wondered what that was.

I also really dig the enclosed chain. I've often wondered why that was never more popular. The Yamaha XV920 is the only "modern" bike I know of in the US with one. I had several old Honda Dreams with it, generally the chains and sprockets will last the life of the bike if enclosed.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,447
Untaxed fuel is illegal for use on US highways.. I wouldn't want to get caught using it.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
I'll take this Dutch one...

hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I would love to see more diesel bikes available. I think that they would definitely have more of a following if marketed properly. I think that right now, they are kind of in their infancy.

There are lots of people in other countries that are building their own, and getting pretty damn good performance out of them. That is similar to when hot rod cars started. A lot of the technologies that developed from that, ended up in production vehicles, eventually. Just look at what Roger Penske and his company has done with diesels, including building some pretty quick diesel race cars and trucks. A lot of that technology is making it down to production vehicles, mainly in other countries, but it is coming. Eventually North America will embrace diesels in more cars and eventually in bikes. Once the technology trickles down to smaller engines, we will see some pretty neat rides that will compare to today's current bikes, including everything from little scooters up to full size touring bikes.

Maybe when I retire and have the time, I will find a nice donor bike and drop in a Yanmar diesel. From what I have seen, it is currently the engine of choice in Europe.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I just bought a turbo diesel Kubota tractor this year. 230 [3769 cc] cubic inches,4 valves per cylinder, 2600 rpm = 95bhp.
That works out to 39.3 cc per hp.
Diesels are great at putting out great torque over a good spread of rpm and doing it ecconomicly for years.What they aren't good at is constantly changing rpm as you would on a spirited bike ride. Sure a diesel will steadily pull you up the road , but while that gets work done it's not that fun.
Another thing , I keep hearing people say turbo it ,as if that's a magic bullet. Turbo's work great, but a single is not really suitable for a turbo. The turbo needs a constant flow of exhaust gas to spin it and the air it compresses needs a constant opening to go to. A four stroke single with one exhaust pulse every 2 crankshaft rotations and 1 intake in the same amount of time is a lot of starting and stopping . Air doesn't like that.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe 15cc= 1 hp is only for gas, as a relative term?

I could just have it wrong, Ive never thought to do the math on it.

For my 7.3 liter diesel truck in stock form, its 7300cc divided by 275 hp, which equals 26.5.

A ford 6.0 diesel in stock form is 6000cc divided by 325 hp which equals 18.5.

So I guess my 15cc per hp is a little off, but its really varied. Or did I figure that shit out wrong?

So I guess its very different from my truck, to your tractor, to this bike? Could be close to its claimed ratings.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #39
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
+1 on the no chance in hell it's got 30hp without a turbo charger.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #40
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
It isn't liquid cooled. It isn't turbocharged. I'd be shocked if it had 15hp at the wheel. It's an old school, dirty diesel engine that isn't particularly efficient. It gets less mpg's than many gasoline offerings, has to be heavier than a gasoline engine of similar size, dumps clouds of black smoke from the exhaust and has all the acceleration of a Toyota Yaris stuffed full of fat chicks.
JohninVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
It isn't liquid cooled. It isn't turbocharged. I'd be shocked if it had 15hp at the wheel. It's an old school, dirty diesel engine that isn't particularly efficient. It gets less mpg's than many gasoline offerings, has to be heavier than a gasoline engine of similar size, dumps clouds of black smoke from the exhaust and has all the acceleration of a Toyota Yaris stuffed full of fat chicks.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #42
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Just want to point out that the bike in the pic is NOT a diesel bike.

That is in fact a Hero Honda Karizma 250. It is a 250cc air cooled single that is blast to ride in crappy Mumbai traffic. It was introduced years ago as one of the first bikes to break the 200+ cc barrier. Back then you would be hard pressed to find anything above 150cc.

Interesting thing is back then when gas was about Rs. 30 / liter, there was hardly any choice in "high displacement" bikes. Now when gas is more than doubled at Rs. 80+ / liter there are plethora of fun & larger displacement bikes. Manufacturers are now pushing to introduce 400cc models. Honda with their CBR & KTM with the Duke. Kawasaki already sells the Ninja 250 & 650. Oh well.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 927
Enfield Diesel....

Two different power options are available based on the Greaves diesel motor, the kind of engine more likely to be seen powering a cement mixer on a third world building site. The first option is the 325cc, 6.5hp at 3600rpm unit which is kickstart and not too happily married to the standard four-speed gearbox. This has the benefit of being easier to kickstart but has a very low cruising speed of 40mph.
The subject of this test ride though was the 'deluxe' model fitted with the larger whopping 436cc engine with 5-speed gearbox that puts out a heady 7.5hp and which has a maximum speed of just 55mph. To put these figures into perspective, a 500cc petrol-engined Indian Enfield can output approximately three times as much power.

FULL STORY HERE: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html

The 15cc = 1hp idea is rubbish. A 49cc moped of old will make about 2 bhp..... a 49cc Kreidler racing bike will make 15bhp........ go figure
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I also really dig the enclosed chain. I've often wondered why that was never more popular.
Because it's ugly. Large, unattractive chunk of metal making the bike look both heavy and recalling the look of toy bicycles, it is one case where aesthetics clearly trump functionality but I don't mind so much.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #45
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Because it's ugly. Large, unattractive chunk of metal making the bike look both heavy and recalling the look of toy bicycles, it is one case where aesthetics clearly trump functionality but I don't mind so much.
Beauty is in the eye of the guy who can go coast to coast without touching the chain. No lubing, no adjustment , no mess.

I have done just this on my 30 year old XV920 yamaha. The chain runs inside it's case swimming in a liquid grease as happy as can be, paying no attention to miles, dirt, or rain.

All these modern ugly by design bikes would be better for an enclosed chain. I'm talking Versys, V-Strom ,Tiger 800 etc.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote