Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
MushNB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Used low mileage bike?

Did a search and didn't really find any answers, so here goes:

Search for my first bike continues, looking for a small dual sport to learn. Came across a 2003 KLR Super Sherpa with low miles (1000). Guess the guy bought it, moved away and never rode it, now moved back and isn't interested in riding anymore. He's asking $2000 for it, which where I live seems fair. Not sure I am really all that interested in the bike either way, but figure its worth a look.

Regardless of the bike, my general question is, for a bike of this vintage, should people be concerned with such low mileage used bikes? This guy is adamant that the bike is mint and pretty much brand new, but my thoughts are that the tires, bearings, fluids would all have to be replaced, the carb probably cleaned etc. Am I right in thinking that it might not be that great a deal, or am I over thinking things and there is nothing wrong with older low mileage bikes?

Thanks!
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
A visual inspection will tell you about tires and the other rubber bits.
Cleaning a carb is no big deal, and you would be doing it on any bike at some point.
On any bike, its good to do it so you KNOW its clean.

I got a very old TW200 with 250 miles on it, rode it home 50 miles just fine, there was some grunge in the carb bowl, I cleaned it out and the bike was great.

If the bike runs fine when you inspect it, its good, but should be checked for gas tank grunge and the carb bowl cleaned, on any used bike.
Cables, oil, chain and sprockets, brakes, rubber bits, battery should all be looked at during or right after the sale.

Oh, and I think the super sherpa is a great bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
If it's had an easy life, I can't think why the bearings would be hurt. Usually miles and rough use gets bearings, from what I've seen. Has it sat inside or out?

Sarah
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Am I right in thinking that it might not be that great a deal, or am I over thinking things and there is nothing wrong with older low mileage bikes?

Thanks!
Nah...terrible deal. You don't want to take on something in that rough of shape

Yes...definitely over thinking things. For a bike of that year I wouldn't be overly concerned about it mechanically. Older motorcycles can sit for years and start up again with a little pre-emptive maintenance.

Yes, the tires will have to be looked at. 5 years from date of manufacture is a good rule of thumb for replacement, used or not.

2001/2s with way more mileage on the West coast are listing for more (a lot more!) than he's asking. Seeing as it is winter (assuming you are in NB, Canada), you might be able to get that price down a bit, especially if the owner can't/won't start it up for you.

Buy it now, or I might have to scoop it up when I head east next week.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
bembe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Did a search and didn't really find any answers, so here goes:

Search for my first bike continues, looking for a small dual sport to learn. Came across a 2003 KLR Super Sherpa with low miles (1000). Guess the guy bought it, moved away and never rode it, now moved back and isn't interested in riding anymore. He's asking $2000 for it, which where I live seems fair. Not sure I am really all that interested in the bike either way, but figure its worth a look.

Regardless of the bike, my general question is, for a bike of this vintage, should people be concerned with such low mileage used bikes? This guy is adamant that the bike is mint and pretty much brand new, but my thoughts are that the tires, bearings, fluids would all have to be replaced, the carb probably cleaned etc. Am I right in thinking that it might not be that great a deal, or am I over thinking things and there is nothing wrong with older low mileage bikes?

Thanks!
================================================== ===============================

With minimal upkeep, KLRs seem to run forever.

================================================== ===============================
bembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
MushNB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
OK, so I guess I was a little off thinking it might need more than it does due to its age and low mileage. I figured it was worth a look anyway, but I guess I will have different coloured glasses on when I inspect it knowing this information. As far as I know, it has been inside, but not sure if it has been started/maintained etc. over the years. And no, I am not in New Brunswick, a little bit further west- but perhaps I will wait to say where the bike is until I have a chance to check it out
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
First off, figure out if you're interested in it or not

Quote:
Regardless of the bike, my general question is, for a bike of this vintage, should people be concerned with such low mileage used bikes?
2003 isn't that old. Has it been well stored (inside)? That said, it sounds like maybe it's too cold/inclement to test ride it?

Quote:
This guy is adamant that the bike is mint and pretty much brand new, but my thoughts are that the tires, bearings, fluids would all have to be replaced, the carb probably cleaned etc.
Bearings, unlikely if it looks mint. Get the bike off the floor (center stand/etc), holding the forks, make sure the wheel spins freely and there is no side to side movement which would indicate the bearing is shot. Same for rear. Usually bearings fail from use, improper washing and incorrect axle tension.

I might be inclined to ask for a concession on the tires (if they are original) as it's 10 year old rubber, it's a used bike so 50% That said, sounds like price is low, so perhaps he's already factored this in. You can't double dip

I'd ask how long ago the oil was last changed, of course he might BS you. If it's a long time (#miles is irrelevent) I'd change it and factor that into offering price ($50).

Carb, if the bike starts easily (from cold, feel the motor to verify it's cold and not been pre-warmed), idles well and doesn't stumble when revved (once warm) I'd assume the carb will be fine. If not, assume you'll have to remove and clean it and factor into offer (though I'd try seafoam first).

The one thing I'd assume needs replacing is the battery, if it's the original.

Good luck!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,496
The bearings being old won';t affect them , but , it will be a good idea to refresh the grease in them. Grease tends to dry out over time , put some new in and you'll have one less thing to worry about.
Other than that rubber and plastic will deteriate due to ozone and sunlight.
The Super Sherpa is a bike I watch for for a spare, wife bike etc.
Read JDowns ride report. He's in South America riding one.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,047
If the bike looks good, runs good buy it, if it turns out you don't like the thing you could easily recover your money {and then some} by reselling ...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
That is a pretty highly praised bike on advrider. The only thing I'd be concerned with is engine seals. They can deteriorate and leak if exposed to weathering, but not necessarily.

Change tires and oil, clean carb, and enjoy a nearly new bike!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Be not afraid...

Shine a flashlight in the gas tank (or a lighter if you're feeling adventurous).

If there's rust there it might need some mitigation.

I would not hesitate to buy a 2003 with 1000 miles. Use the rusty tank, goo in carb, battery is old and tires are dry as bargaining points. These are good bikes.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
If this is the bike in G******u, it looks like there might be a spare wheel to go with it...and it seems like it has been in inside storage.

Don't worry, I'll be too far away from there to try scooping you.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote