Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOH View Post
I chose to run the White Rim Counter Clockwise - primarily to get the tough sections of sand and river bottom out of the way - early - while it was cooler and everyone was fresh. Rather than the last part of the ride. We ran 6 KLR's with a variety of tires ( D606- Kenda and Heiendau) only difficult part was the sand in the northwest, along the river. Here's the route that we used to run it counter clockwise -- a) from Moab go 10.6 miles north on Hwy 191 b) LEFT onto HWY 313 c) Go 12.3 miles to Mineral Bottom Road d) RIGHT onto Mineral Bottom Road e) Go about 20 miles to the Park Entrance. That will start you out in the NorthWest corner. P.S. Bring a couple of quarts of water. KOH
I've ran WRT twice, once in early November on my 690, second time in late November on my 990. Late season advice is to run it couterclockwise as above to minimize the low sun in your face. We rode clockwise both times anyway. Due to some mechanical problems with one bike the second time, it was dark through the more difficult sections but I think the scenery and vistas make much more sense running clockwise. You will have your back to the canyon much of the time if you ride CCW. Just my 2 cents....YMMV....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
KOH & Walrus - Thanks Gentlemen - helpful stuff. I like idea of getting difficult terrain done while fresh, without wobbly knees & shaky arms. If I remember my astronomical lessons correctly - the sun should be in approx same position for spring / fall equinox. Thus, riding CCW in early April also make sense. Thanks for Road navigation / directions too. I'd better get those BarkBusters installed - tiger OEM handguards are seriously inadequate. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 387
Not to hi jack the thread but is this part of the world tolerable early to mid June?? Thinking of doing my western states ride now counter clockwise allowing me to get to Glacier when the roads are all open.

thanks

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post
Not to hi jack the thread but is this part of the world tolerable early to mid June?? Thinking of doing my western states ride now counter clockwise allowing me to get to Glacier when the roads are all open.

thanks
It's going to be pretty hot in June. My 4x4 group did it last year in April and the weather was perfect. Remember that you are supposed to get a "permission slip" (back country travel permit) at the Ranger Station before you go, and yes, they will have Rangers out there checking for them (we got checked once.)

There are only two difficult spots on WRT. Murphy Hogback is steep on both ends and somewhat rocky. Hardscrabble Hill is also rocky and steep and at the base on the North end you cross a sand wash that is maybe 3/4 mile long, if memory serves me. Deep sand but dry in April when we were there - we had no issues (but then again, we were on 4 wheels, not 2.) The rest of WRT is just a dirt road.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Ave temps for Moab (highs) : April - *72 May - *82 June - *93 July - *100 Thats why I go to deserts in Mar or April. May looks good too - after that - I'm back North.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Wrt

Ridden the WRT 3 times. Once CCW and the others CW. Not a lot of difference. Always dry. Once in May (OK), once in
Aug. (ended up at 110 degrees but the Moab Brewery made up for that) and once in Oct. You have to fly in the mud or get stuck. The sand CCW is OK but this past Oct. it was really deep down near the river bottom. You can stop for pictures and goofing off and make it around, including the Shafer Trail back to your trailer or vehicle easily in 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Do beware that the rangers are out with radar when they have part time help (May ~ Sept) and the speed limit is 15 MPH on the WRT! Unbelievable. It is a great place for them for revenue enhancement.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #22
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Stu - Hoping mud is at a minimum - but my "hopes" don't make it so. 15 mph limit? Even in sand? I cant get thru sand at that speed. Guess I'll have to revise technique or risk being a source of "revenue enhancement". I don't mind additionally supporting Parks - but prefer it thru altruistic donation. I will certainly utilize Moab Brewery for its palative cooling effects. Cheers, j
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
It's going to be pretty hot in June. My 4x4 group did it last year in April and the weather was perfect. Remember that you are supposed to get a "permission slip" (back country travel permit) at the Ranger Station before you go, and yes, they will have Rangers out there checking for them (we got checked once.)
You only need a permit if you are going to stay overnight on the trail. If you are going to take more than one day to do the loop, you will need the travel permit and a designated camp site. If you are doing it in a day you do not need a permit.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

GrizGirl screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:46 AM Reason: Added NPS link
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Permits

Last Oct. a guy from Germany in an off-road truck that was easily larger than an Army 2 1/2 ton truck and it had a huge house trailer built on the back, all custom, looked like a $1M truck, was on the trail heading for Murphy's Hogback CW. There is no way he could make it up that given that he would hit rock on the side and get pushed over the edge. Vehicle limits are posted. He ignored them. I had to ride off the trail and onto the berm just to let him pass me. A Ford F250 full of bicycles barely made it past the ledges and up the hogback when I was ready to come down. You see everything out there.

If you are caught in a rainstorm the mud will be formidable. It sticks to everything. I'd sit it out and let it dry some.

If I go during the season I am taking a radar detector. The rangers sit up on bluffs, zap you and then you are ticketed around the next corner. Too many bluffs. You would have to know where every trail head came out on top to visually catch those guys. I rode the trail by myself once and encountered 3 other vehicles. Not a lot of traffic to be concerned about.

Stu
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #25
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah - I think Grizgirl & others had already mentioned avoiding muddy conditions - more confirmation. We'll be in Moab April 1- 5, so hopefully the "radar rangers" wont have arrived yet. I generally obey traffic laws. I want to take my time & enjoy the scenery... But... will likely exceed limits thru the sandy spots & just take my chances. Except for some catastrophe, we don't "plan" to be camping on this trip - so no permit apparently needed. Thanks all, j
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Failo
Is it spring yet???

Oddometer: 167
If you decide to run the trail CW, I'd recommend checking out the scenic overlooks past the trail head after you enter the park, before you descend into the canyon. The views from these overlooks are spectacular and you'll see a lot of the trail you'll be riding. It might take an extra half hour or so to stay on the pavement a while and check these out, but I think it will really enhance your experience.

Also, the trail is an easy day ride so there's no need to rush. Slow down and enjoy the scenery. There are some unbelievable views to be seen by getting off the bikes and walking over to the lip of the canyon in various places.

After you've made the WRT loop, consider taking the paved road toward Dead Horse State Park and going back to Moab via Long's Canyon. This is a nice, easy, but very scenic shortcut to get back to town.

Have fun!
Failo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Views

I agree with taking your time and exploring. If you have the time also ride the pavement down to the hiking trail to the crater. That is a short walk with an extraordinary landscape unlike what you will see on the WRT. Dead Horse Point State Park is great for an overview of the canyon you will be in, or have just emerged from.

When I last rode down Long's Canyon it was after a flood and damage at the top as you began your descent was considerable. It took good control to make it. There was a very well prepared Jeep at the top, with winches. He elected not to descend. Check on this trail before you tangle with it. It sure was fun and views in the canyon varied from the WRT.

Stu
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys! It appears that if there is ONE constant in all this - Its the ever changing road conditions. Good reminder to check BEFORE that days ride.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #29
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
How much sand riding is there to deal with? Distance?
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
How much sand riding is there to deal with? Distance?
Every time I've ridden WRT the sand has varied in depth and suckiness.

A couple of years ago, the Green River was flowing major CFS and rose up over the WRT at the portions that are right on the river. The sandy stretches were under water for a while. The WRT was closed as a thru trip for a while, and when it re-opened it was a completely different ride down there.

So saying how it was the last time I was there is no indication of how it will be next time I'm there. It can be a workout, but don't let it psych you out....it could be cake too

The most common company you're likely to see on the WRT is groups of offroad bicycles with their chase vehicles. Ride with respect and courtesy around others and don't give dirtbiker's a black eye...
I have seen very few rangers and they've always given a friendly wave.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote