ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #346
CamelBill OP
Ride It!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonguy95 View Post
No snow or rain right now in St Clair.

Dropped to 30% chance of rain tomorrow

Radar showed rain moving away.
Sounds like a perfect forecast, see ya'll in the am!!
CamelBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #347
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,312
Akers ferry is closed? Planned a Sunday crossing
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #348
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Someone post the days events!!! I had to work this weekend, and missed this ride. I know many pussed out, and I am most certain they missed out. The weather looked perfect to me. I am thinking maybe a sprinkle or two. No dust, and some great creek crossings.

I'm off Thursday, Friday, and Saturday next week and will most likely do the route then.

Hope day one was great.....

Smitty
smitty141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #349
indykwak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Was a short ride for me and three others. One drowned 1150 GS, all ok, but a two hour soak in fouche Renault river isn't good for any bike. Will post a pick or two later. Called it day and at home now.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #350
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 518
Ugh

Left from work Friday, driving straight to St. Clair, In the rain I had pulled off under the Six Flags highway 44 underpass to shake off the chills, a tour bus came by and blasted me with water from a puddle, drowning me and my bike, needless to say after 30 minutes of shivering and fiddling with the bike , she started up reluctantly. Jumped back on 44 West bound, I too was questioning my sanity, I thought to myself warm, dry thoughts, as the freezing water poured down my back and into my pants exiting and filling my boots. I made the proper call to puss out, took the Grey Summit exit North, knowing I was only two exits away from Diamonds Hotel I endured a northerly route 100 to Chesterfield via north 109. Mental battle as the term "wussy" would have to be discussed back at the homestead. Finally made it home safe after the obligatory hydroplaning for nearly the 2 hour trip to a hot shower, Sorry guys for "wussin out". Now kickin myself for not driving the two exits to Diamonds... Lookin forward to R/Rs' and as many pics that were takin!!
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #351
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Hey was it one of you SBR riders that was stopped on I 55 at IL. RT. 15, Friday about 4:30 with the bikes falling over on the trailer?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #352
Scott in Missouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
"hydrolock 400"

The "Hydrolock 400" was a success and really a lot of fun as usual. We (Big Dog and I) named it after about the third knobbie-clad submarine we came across. We estimated 50 bikes were there and I know more locals showed up this morning at the hotel. Expect a lot of pictures at water crossings.

I know of a few guys that left for the ride and actually stopped and turned around- I sincerely do not blame them a bit because Friday was some risky business just to get on a motorcycle route that will be there later. I also think some of us may have given a little too much encouragement to new riders- Myself included. The route was fun and easily ridden by everyone I saw, but I think many of the riders underestimate themselves and their experience that makes is "easy".

I had a great time and look forward to the pictures!
Scott
Scott in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #353
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Missouri View Post
The "Hydrolock 400" was a success and really a lot of fun as usual.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #354
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
We didnt drown

We didn't drown!! Only rained on us very very little.

My son Andrew and I was on the KTM /KLR team and his first Adventure ride on a big bike. Heck first time he was on a bike more than 30 miles from home.

We had and more importantly HE had a blast Saturday. His first creek was a look like, are you sure dad? We had a intercom set up and I went across and then made sure he understood and "talked him over". Big grin after that first one!! I was gonna shoot video of him but was more wrapped up in watching over him I would forget to tell him to wait a minute for the camera. I told him to stop on the forest service road with the old ton truck and all the mud holes and give me a chance, but a couple of guys came up behind him and he felt like he had to go. No big deal he just didn't understand that it was fine to hold them up for a minute. He will understand next time!! LOL!!

We got to St Clair and the boy was flat wore out (turns out he didn't realize how much work fun could be!!) and one hill away from the Best Western he called me and said he was loosing power, and I could hear the motor had a lean crackle to it. I didn't think to say " is it hot?" But just said slow down and limp it on in to the motel. Well It was hot, red scalding hot! No antifreeze left in it! So hot that the temp gauge is still pegged today!! Bet the sender is fried. Ill check the cooling fan too, as I have blown that fuse before, so maybe it was just a boil over, er boil dry!! Looking at the highest point on the bike where its damp, I'm guessing top of radiator or top hose or something. Air cooled KLR?? Nothing to do but call it quits and run back to Saint Clair on the KTM and get the truck and trailer and let him sleep in Sunday.

He had a cold and it was getting worse, and he said "really they way I feel I'm not disappointed to not see the bridges"!! Hey, we only live 200 miles away so no biggie, come back some other time. Maybe a fall color run.

Had a blast, always good to see you folks. Will post up a few shots after I get them downloaded.

This has been a Dad and Lad dream come true for both of us and a long time coming!!!

Jailor8

And as for the KLR if its cooked its just a excuse to put that 685 kit in that's on the shelf in the garage.
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4

Jailor8 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 04:28 PM
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #355
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Hey was it one of you SBR riders that was stopped on I 55 at IL. RT. 15, Friday about 4:30 with the bikes falling over on the trailer?

That was my bike on the trailer, it was not my strap. That POS strap made it down the hill from Belleville and failed on the entrance ramp to 225. The replacement strap cost me 34.99 at the flying J. It was worth it, had a great time at the SBR, had to bypass a few crossings but made it through a few I shouldn't have.

PS. hope the two riders I saw wipe out made it back without too much damage. Post up the video if the gopro survived... John B
Hi to Gobarr, thanks for tagging along with Bill and I

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650

rustynut2 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 04:46 PM
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #356
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailor8 View Post
We didn't drown!! Only rained on us very very little.

My son Andrew and I was on the KTM /KLR team and his first Adventure ride on a big bike. Heck first time he was on a bike more than 30 miles from home.

We had and more importantly HE had a blast Saturday. His first creek was a look like, are you sure dad? We had a intercom set up and I went across and then made sure he understood and "talked him over". Big grin after that first one!! I was gonna shoot video of him but was more wrapped up in watching over him I would forget to tell him to wait a minute for the camera. I told him to stop on the forest service road with the old ton truck and all the mud holes and give me a chance, but a couple of guys came up behind him and he felt like he had to go. No big deal he just didn't understand that it was fine to hold them up for a minute. He will understand next time!! LOL!!

We got to St Clair and the boy was flat wore out (turns out he didn't realize how much work fun could be!!) and one hill away from the Best Western he called me and said he was loosing power, and I could hear the motor had a lean crackle to it. I didn't think to say " is it hot?" But just said slow down and limp it on in to the motel. Well It was hot, red scalding hot! No antifreeze left in it! So hot that the temp gauge is still pegged today!! Bet the sender is fried. Ill check the cooling fan too, as I have blown that fuse before, so maybe it was just a boil over, er boil dry!! Looking at the highest point on the bike where its damp, I'm guessing top of radiator or top hose or something. Air cooled KLR?? Nothing to do but call it quits and run back to Saint Clair on the KTM and get the truck and trailer and let him sleep in Sunday.

He had a cold and it was getting worse, and he said "really they way I feel I'm not disappointed to not see the bridges"!! Hey, we only live 200 miles away so no biggie, come back some other time. Maybe a fall color run.

Had a blast, always good to see you folks. Will post up a few shots after I get them downloaded.

This has been a Dad and Lad dream come true for both of us and a long time coming!!!

Jailor8

And as for the KLR if its cooked its just a excuse to put that 685 kit in that's on the shelf in the garage.
nice.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #357
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
If you were

If you were wondering if my son had a good time on his first Adv ride. This should be the proof..

and

And at Devils Well

And a happy dad....

Jailor8
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #358
WhiteManFlail
GOAT Follower

Oddometer: 28
Rode out with the Gateway rockers and the G.O.A.T. (Gateway Offroad Adventure Team). Had some fun in the water. The pictures don't do it justice because this water was MOVIN!

So overall, it was some great riding, with next no dust to speak of.

- '07 DL1000 K7 - '05 KTM 450 EXC -
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #359
Tony K
going somewhere

Oddometer: 129
Thank you to everyone. I had a great weekend.What a super bunch of guys and gals.

Thank you Scott for the dinner ! Best pulled pork I ever had.
Tony K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #360
riderIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Great weekend!

What a great weekend!
Thanks for rustynut2 and Bill to let me tag along.
Also many thanks for Scott for the hospitality.First Class!!!!
Hope everybody made it home safe.
I rode back to Indy with no trouble,but rained most all the way.
Gabor
riderIN is offline   Reply With Quote