User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Getting ready to get a GSA

I have a Explorer, I like the bike but find dealer support kind of thin, I am moving to Texas in the next year (Houston) from south Fla so I expect more offroad (fire roads) opportunities. The Triumph network is kind of thin, they are good, almost as good as Harley (in my experience Harley is the best by far). Ive done a few rides to Alaska and ride about 25-35 k per year, mostly Harley, 60%, with the balance on my Hayabusa and the Explorer, Tiger 800 before it. Now my questions.

How is the Dealer network for BMW? I noticed a lot of BMW's on my rides to Alaska, along with KLR's

What accessories should I get with the bike and what ones should I pass on?

I don't want to add a lot after initial purchase, my OL is Korean American and a tough negotiator that guards my money like a rabid pit bull so its better for household tranquility to get what I want or need on initial purchase. All advice and input appreciated.
2011 Sprint GT
Masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Most GSA's are coming in fully equipped,unless you order.

There are a few bag aftermarket options now,BMW is back ordered on bags and locks.

Most folks like the BMW Nav 5 GPS for it's integration with the bike,if you want a GPS.Every new GSA I've seen comes with the GPS prep so far.

ESA(electronic suspension) is good,can always be changed to standard high quality aftermarket shocks later.

If you are doing a fair bit of off road,have you considered the 800 GSA?

BMW dealer network is good,but quality of service varies,if you read reports here.
Lots of dealers are multi brand now.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Is the tall wind screen worth it or should I just go to a Madstadt, thanks for the info. I think I will go with the BMW GPS as it is integrated.
2011 Sprint GT
Masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Too many variables with windscreens,what is ideal for one is terrible for the next.
Try stock first.

Most folks end up changing saddles at some point,especially for long distance,budget for that in the future.
There are a bunch of saddle/seat threads here on the forum.Best are the custom ones from Russell,either Mayer brother,Rich's and Renazzco.Sargent makes a good non custom saddle.

If you do a lot of off road,don't forget to add the optional additional riding modes module and programming.

The LED headlight light upgrade seems to be worthwhile addition,get the BMW or aftermarket headlight protector,any BMW headlight is $$ to replace.

I guess where all this leads is that if this is to be a one time purchase,then get one fully loaded.The only thing to possibly leave off is the HP muffler,the stocker sounds pretty good.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote