Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
mitchapalooza OP
Rider is Air-cooled

Oddometer: 124
Question Too much?

At what point does it become too much?

I have a 2009 F800gs w/ABS and a few gizmos & gadgets. ~20,000 miles, fairly well kept, easy miles.

Second set of tires, original suspension, original clutch, even have a little bit left on the original rear brakes, ect ect. Bike has been pretty easy to care for in its young life.

I'm starting to wonder at what point does it not make sense to trade it in when repair costs could become 1/4 or more of the value of the bike. Granted I couldn't buy one for the amount I forecast having to put into it, but still.

Very quickly things like the toasty stator, clutch, worn out grips (with heated elements below), add up to big bucks.

I did a worst case scenario earlier while *working* and it came to something close to $1,7-1,800! That is just in parts, stator, regulator, gaskets, clutch (again, worst case scenario). That doesn't even take into account if I run into anything actually wrong!

I've been making due riding to work (6-8mi depending on ambient temperate [long way vs short]) and putting it on a charger in an empty bay for an hour before I start on real things. But this system kinda limits my ability to travel, which I've just really started doing last summer.

I'm always looking at other bikes, but at the same time, I really like this one, but I'm not necessarily super attached to it.

Thoughts?
mitchapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
mitchapalooza OP
Rider is Air-cooled

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchapalooza View Post

I have a 2009 F800gs w/ABS and a few gizmos & gadgets. ~20,000 miles, fairly well kept, easy miles.

Second set of tires, original suspension, original clutch, even have a little bit left on the original rear brakes, ect ect. Bike has been pretty easy to care for in its young life.

I'm starting to wonder at what point does it not make sense to trade it in when repair costs could become 1/4 or more of the value of the bike. Granted I couldn't buy one for the amount I forecast having to put into it, but still.

Very quickly things like the toasty stator, clutch, worn out grips (with heated elements below), add up to big bucks.

I did a worst case scenario earlier while *working* and it came to something close to $1,7-1,800! That is just in parts, stator, regulator, gaskets, clutch (again, worst case scenario). That doesn't even take into account if I run into anything actually wrong!

I've been making due riding to work (6-8mi depending on ambient temperate [long way vs short]) and putting it on a charger in an empty bay for an hour before I start on real things. But this system kinda limits my ability to travel, which I've just really started doing last summer.

I'm always looking at other bikes, but at the same time, I really like this one, but I'm not necessarily super attached to it.

Thoughts?

Also, was there a layout change for the forum or did I drop back to the 90's and am using usenet?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 761
Question you should be asking is the bike worth more to you or someone else? If it's worth more to someone else them maybe it's time for it to leave your stable.

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchapalooza View Post

Thoughts?
I have a 2009 (built in 8/08) It actually had some recalls, upgrades and repairs the first year. I have not had an issue with it in 3.5 years in spite of reading of all the things that are eminent.

I like it, so I won't sell it. It has been dependable in spite of all the posts of horrible things to look forward too. It is paid for, so why look for something else?

I live in a warm state, so take it out every week or so to keep the battery up. I don't need a charger. Replace your grips. Cut them off carefully and slip some new ones on. I bought some $11 K bike grips because they are larger.

Changing brake pads takes all of 10 minutes. Changing fluid, probably 1/2 hour.

If/when my stator dies, I will buy the BMW replacement, because it has the new "holy" flywheel. May have to buy the stator to get it, but I think it is BMW's cure for stator problems.

If I have fueling issues, I am pulling the fuel pump/filters and take a look at how dirty the filters are. You can buy a pump cheap and a filter that can be replaced makes sense to me. So much so, that I think it is the reason for a lot of fuel pump/injector issues.

I remember a clutch of clutch issues. Almost all were caused by a lack of freeplay. The repair CD was wrong and some DIY owners thought the knob at the lever did the adjusting. I see no reason why it won't last as long as another make.

I did upgrade my suspesion. I don't want to pay for that again.

If you need to go to the dealer for any repair, then it may make sense. For me it does not.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 05:59 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,849
Say you sell it used then go buy a new one...how much tax are you going to pay on the new one? Registration etc? Now what if you spend that amount you would have paid on parts for the current one? Got more money than desire to maintain it, sell.

Ask an accountant. It's like my last Jeep, it was cheaper to spend the money on gas than to go out and buy a better more fuel efficient one.

Only you can answer that question.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Like all women! It is cheaper to keep her!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
mitchapalooza OP
Rider is Air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Say you sell it used then go buy a new one...how much tax are you going to pay on the new one? Registration etc? Now what if you spend that amount you would have paid on parts for the current one? Got more money than desire to maintain it, sell.

Ask an accountant. It's like my last Jeep, it was cheaper to spend the money on gas than to go out and buy a better more fuel efficient one.

Only you can answer that question.

Touche', I guess thats why I'm still driving my old jeep too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Like all women! It is cheaper to keep her!
This makes the most sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I like it, so I won't sell it. It has been dependable in spite of all the posts of horrible things to look forward too. It is paid for, so why look for something else?

If/when my stator dies, I will buy the BMW replacement, because it has the new "holy" flywheel. May have to buy the stator to get it, but I think it is BMW's cure for stator problems.

I remember a clutch of clutch issues. Almost all were caused by a lack of freeplay. The repair CD was wrong and some DIY owners thought the knob at the lever did the adjusting. I see no reason why it won't last as long as another make.

If you need to go to the dealer for any repair, then it may make sense. For me it does not.
I try not to buy into the internet madness of panic and worry beads, but alas I've experienced some of these issues. Most of them were trivial thankfully.

My stator is dieing as we 'speak' sadly and the decision is upcoming. I guess in the grand scheme its cost of running, but at the same time, the part costing 1/15th of the original purchase price seems a bit nuts!

I unfortunately suffered from a maladjusted clutch for a number of miles before catching on, alas the damage seems to have been done.

Thankfully I'm a fairly mechanically inclined individual / have access to a shop in addition to my garage, so dealer visits are quite limited, sans the maladjusted clutch Reason 151 not to let other people mess with things.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
While I like the bike, I can't really say the same about the company.

Some of their cost cutting, cost buyers money. Bundling parts like a headlight nacelle because they glue their lenses or the flywheel/stator package as well as the fuel pump/Controllers. Then there is their non re buildable suspension.

You can always have your stator rewound for about $200. Should be as good as the old one.

The real reason for me to keep it, is it has not caused me any grief and there is nothing out there that I want to buy.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:56 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Don't forget you will have to buy all the farkels for the new bike. I've added a few thousand dollars to mine.

Little things are cheap compared to payments. Think about changing when it is worn out. You are a long way from that.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 728
Ha,

I've been going through your exact analysis paralysis the last couple of months about my Audi S4 Avant.

Sure, it's getting long in the tooth, but it's paid for and I love the V8. In addition anything that will need to be done this year is still a fraction of what new payments would be on a new one, and, as you, I can't find anything to really replace it.

If you don't like the prospect of laying out the dosh right now, just do one thing at a time so the pain is spread out.

Another way of looking at it. what's your bike worth if you sold it, and what would you have to lay out to get something "better". that cash could probably be used on your existing bike the make it WAY better than anything on a showroom floor.

whew, can you tell i'm sitting on a late night conference call listening to techs talk back and forth and am bored out of my skull?
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Question you should be asking is the bike worth more to you or someone else? If it's worth more to someone else them maybe it's time for it to leave your stable.
+1. This is what it boils down to.

One other thing I'd add is: Try and be philosophical about money you've already spent and won't recover (sunk costs) and instead focus on what is likely to fail and cost a lot in the foreseeable future. Mine had a raft of work that needed doing around 40-45K (new clutch, rear bearings, chain and sprocket, brakes, full service, a bit of crash damage repair, etc.) that could have made it appear like the bike was 'becoming expensive to repair' and have been used to justify* chopping it in for newer metal with my conscience or other half.

Reading about the bike, looking at what had been done and the intervals other scheduled items were going to come up for renewal, it was clear it was just a patch of a lot of things coming at once and that the bike would be fine and relatively cheap to service for the following 20K afterwards. So far, that has proven to be true.

*I suspect that's what this is often really about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
Little things are cheap compared to payments. Think about changing when it is worn out. You are a long way from that.
When I had just started work and was generally hard up, I had a spell of bad luck with my car. For three months in a row, it had problems that cost me 200-300 each time. I was bitching about it to my father, complaining that the damned car was eating up all my 'spending money' and I was working with nothing to show for it (I had about 10-20 a week 'spending money' to spend on stuff I wanted). He pointed out, very wisely, that even with these breakdowns I would struggle to find any new car with 0% finance, zero deposit and monthly payments of less than 300 and besides, those things at least were fixed on my car now and unlikely to recur during the time I had it. After that, the car behaved flawlessly for 4 years and proved very economical to run in the long term view of things.

Ceri JC screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:08 AM
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Most of us don't have a problem buying farkles. It's when we we have to pay big money for repairs. When the factory warranty was about gone I bought an extended warranty from Zurich (the company not the place). I got this at the dealership. The shop I go to (Long Beach BMW) is so good that they even told me that the policy would be on sale in about a month so I waited and saved a bunch. For about $1,100 I got an additional 7 years and UNLIMITED miles. That's right I got my alternator replaced for free! This is something That I can recommend as I've had other work done also and they've covered it all.

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
mitchapalooza OP
Rider is Air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1P8RIOT View Post
Most of us don't have a problem buying farkles. It's when we we have to pay big money for repairs.
Well said. I think the disconnect is when you don't see something shiny and new and exciting to brag about, instead you just continue to ride the same moto.