Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Anyone ride DeSoto National Forest, MS?!

I live near New Orleans and Desoto national forest is about 110mi away, looks big and interesting, but i have never been. I was wondering if it's worth riding out there to run through some winding roads through the forest? Any good scenery out there or fun roads to ride through? I ride a vstrom, so i'm not looking to go terrorize the woods, just a nice scenic cruise would be cool. Anyway, if anyone can suggest any paticularly fun/interesting roads through the forest or stops in that area, please chime in. I may go tomorrow since the weather looks reasonable. Wanna get there and be back the same day so of course it would be helpful to have a plan in advance.

I'm all ......

MariusD screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 02:07 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i get this vaque feeling there's nothing to see there since no one is commenting... I'll probably still go and explore, but dang... I thought it might have been a rather interesting place and someone would have a comment or two.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
There is a VERY long story about Desoto NF and why nobody rides there anymore. I'm about to get some take out Thai , but I'll fill in the details after dinner if nobody else does first.

Anticyclone screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 06:20 PM
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,933
Desoto is a very nice area to ride. We held our annual rally there for a couple of years. There are tons of fantastic roads to explore and ride.

The only problem with Desoto is one of the Rangers apparently has a superiority complex. He will ticket you for any infraction he can find or dream up. We quit having our rally there because of the thousands of dollars in tickets issued and the harassment we endured.

I still ride through there occasionally, and will continue to do so. Just be careful and watch out for Ranger Rick.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
OK, I'm fed and just took some Mucinex, so excuse the sniffling and I'll make it quick because this stuff makes me loopy .

First off, part of the Desoto National Forest is leased by Camp Shelby.

So back in 2009 we had a rally down there. One of the park rangers did not like what we were doing at all. Mind you, we were within the rules that were posted at the campground and had gotten clearance from the base commander at Camp Shelby to ride the trails we had been riding.

The best this park ranger could do was issue one ticket for operating a bike without a tag. This particular bike had been brought by one of the sponsors specifically to sell and was not ridden except around camp. It was owned by a guy who was undergoing cancer treatment and selling all his bikes. The test ride occurred about 200 yards from camp...

The following year we attained the same clearance from the base commander to ride the tank trails on the base. While riding the trails one of the attendees broke his leg badly. He actually ended up being airlifted, which naturally drew quite a bit of attention. Ye old park ranger issued tickets to maybe 10 folks for $350 each for riding an unauthorized trail in a National Forest. These "unauthorized trails" are two tracks used by tanks and HUMVEE's for training and have heavy gravel on them... We were NOT off-roading through the woods .

We have since moved the rally to another location on private land and few of us have darkened the door at Desoto NF since...

So I guess if you do go that way, be sure you stay on the actual gravel roads, no matter how tempting the tank trails look!
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,506
Tiny d and I love the north and south loop at the Bethel Trailhead.

I've heard for years Mr. Power Ranger is a royal dick and hope never to make his acquaintance.

Dirty
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh wow... lots to chew on here. Its good to know some of this history before hand, thats for sure. I appreciate it! I really wasnt looking to go off pavement this time around. This is just an exploratory mission for possibly a 2 or 3 day camping/hiking (and whatever else there is to do there LEGALLY) trip in spring or summer. Im not comfortable enough yet off road on my vstrom and wouldnt want to risk injury going alone. But it is great to know there are some off road paths that can be ridden there. Im not one to ignore no traspassing signs, so hopefully I wont piss anyone off. Cool, im excited. This should be interesting.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Wow!!! So one crappy ranger caused all that? Was there ever any push back? This guy should clearly lose his job!! I know, many if not most of the ranger kind tend to be "greenie wackos".... But it sounds like if you had rally's there within the law and that many folks, I imagine this one rangers has cost LA Business's many thousands of Dollars. Seems if all 350 participants would have made their complaints known up the ladder, made every business in LA they spent $$ at aware that the money would now be going elsewhere and then informed the local politicians and encouraged the businesses to do the same... Maybe ranger rick would get the Boot!!! If at least back off.. Money and votes is the only way to fight idiots like this ranger. I have ridden off road there many years ago..think its the same place y'all are talking about. It was real nice...I could see why all the guys down there loved their Michelin S12s...sand and roots galore... No rocks like Arkansas...

ArkieRider screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 05:39 AM
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
The area spoken of in this thread is in MS. I also cannot understand why this treatment would be tolerated. Unfortunately, under this administration recourse is probably not available. And according to reports, many more public lands will be closed soon.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Oh...my bad... was thinkin it was Louisiana.... agree the feds are doing everything they can to shut down access.... guess its why many of the folks I know are moving from dirt bikes to dual sports... at least dont have to worry about the licensed for the road part
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,882
Don't blame all feds. This was one a-hole ranger. We get along good with rangers in every other NF in Mississippi. We've even met other rangers that didn't like this one ranger. But there are so many levels of bureaucracy above this guy... rangers, forest service, USDA, etc that there isn't much we could do. I have not heard any recent horror stories about him and have heard he may have been transferred or is not there anymore, but I am not going to be the one to find out! :-)
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,447
I was told that Angery Black Ranger is gone. I have no way to confirm it though.

I was also told Bethel shut down. I will confirm this soon.

DeSoto is full of curvy roads that are fun to ride. Most involve dirt & gravel but I've ridden them in pouring rain on street tires. The roads are well maintained & should not be much of a challenge. Take a GPS because you'll need it.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,506
Bethel's call before you haul number is: 601-528-6180.

They'll close the trails after a heavy dew-but at least they let the land rest so the knucklehead 4 Wheelers don't destroy the trails.

Dirty
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #14
buckthedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I live a few minutes from there...rode there last week. Ive not heard of this ranger and really jave never seen ANYONE riding either 2 wheels or 4. Its always seemed ive had the place to myself...and the U.S. Army. Id love to explore other areas but have found a lack of local people to ride with or meet.
buckthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #15
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I was told that Angery Black Ranger is gone. I have no way to confirm it though.

I was also told Bethel shut down. I will confirm this soon.

DeSoto is full of curvy roads that are fun to ride. Most involve dirt & gravel but I've ridden them in pouring rain on street tires. The roads are well maintained & should not be much of a challenge. Take a GPS because you'll need it.
I may have got a ticket from this guy a few years ago. You say he's black? Is he short too? I might have his name in my files from the ticket I was trying to fight but gave up because I was getting no where with it.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote