ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #376
guavadude
de-composer
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 696
I know a guy that rides up from Dallas on a DRZ with camping gear. I'm on a 650gs and agree, the ride up and back is a fun part of it.
Also knowing I have to ride home keeps me from trying too hard to keep up with any krazy KTM guys. Pack light. Throw a tent and a sleeping bag in some dry bags and go.
FYI, these are all day rides. 150+ miles each day doesn't sound like much but with lunch and a few stops it takes all day.

guavadude screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 12:12 PM
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #377
Earlevet
ADVEarl
 
Earlevet's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 549
We travel down many roads you would not want to take a car down. Most of the tough stuff for big bikes have a go around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieTenere View Post
as I would have no problem riding the DR up there, but once I get on any dirt a car can't go down, I know I would much prefer to be on my DRZ.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #378
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager
 
OLEARY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Rogers, AR
Oddometer: 2,380
For those of you that are new to this event I just wanted to let you know that Scotty has a large trailer that he hauls everyones beverages, camping gear, pretty much anything you can't or don't want to carry on your bike from one camp site to the next. I am pretty sure that this year will be no exception. Hadn't talked to him in a while but I imagine we will begin planning this years routes and event fairly soon. Looking forward to meeting new folks and getting to know better some that I have already met. It is a good time for sure.
__________________
Yamaha WR250R, KTM 450EXC
Moab Ride 10
Trails of the West Lite 2011
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #379
advmgm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Omaha Arkansas - Motorcycling Paradise
Oddometer: 888
^^^^ yeah, whut he said.

Sent from The Edge
__________________
WR250R Adventurer
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #380
crownhorse
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: cabot,ar
Oddometer: 76
ArkieTenere

there are some riders is Cabot "the Cabot gang" that road last year, most on klr dr ktm xr ect, maybe we can ride some time and share the wisdom that we have.
__________________
tall grass and high tides

I tried to use "penis" as my password but it said my password was to short

dirty deeds and there done dirt cheap
crownhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #381
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Greenbrier, Arkansas
Oddometer: 306
Sounds good... assume ya'll trailer up those bikes last year?
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #382
crownhorse
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: cabot,ar
Oddometer: 76
trailer

yes we trailered up, there maybe up to 7 from this area this year
__________________
tall grass and high tides

I tried to use "penis" as my password but it said my password was to short

dirty deeds and there done dirt cheap
crownhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #383
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Clear Lake, TX
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
For those of you that are new to this event I just wanted to let you know that Scotty has a large trailer that he hauls everyones beverages, camping gear, pretty much anything you can't or don't want to carry on your bike from one camp site to the next. I am pretty sure that this year will be no exception. Hadn't talked to him in a while but I imagine we will begin planning this years routes and event fairly soon. Looking forward to meeting new folks and getting to know better some that I have already met. It is a good time for sure.
Someone posted earlier the date of this year's ride will be April 11-13. Those are great dates for me, so would you guys please lock this down, and posts up for sure? I have to get my vacation plans in at work, and the more advanced notice I can give, the better my chances. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you fellers again.
__________________
----------------------------
"The Night Rydah.. remember him, when you look at the night sky" - Toecutter
Rob
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #384
mdawg12
Old and Slow
 
mdawg12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieTenere View Post
Yea... im kinda wondering how knarly they get on this ride... big bike "Tenere" friendly or DRZ needed...
I've seen you ride...you will be fine on the Tenere.
__________________
2006 KTM 450 EXC - Tagged
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW F650GS
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #385
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer
 
Dadayama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 585
Big Bikes...

The first i ever went to the ARKANSAS 500 Earlevet was riding a monster 1200 GS and riding Scotty's ass the whole time wondering why he was going so slow...

Now to be honest Earlevet is a great rider, but have seen many a big bike on this trip with no problems.
__________________
Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
Oklahoma Adventure Trail
YouTube
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #386
Earlevet
ADVEarl
 
Earlevet's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 549
Thanks for the kind words I sure miss that big bike! It would haul ass down the trail as long as it was not too technical We seemed to get slowed down on the steep switchback stuff! Rode Frog with a GSA that had a 21 front on it. That would help a lot on rollin over the big stuff. See you on Earth Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
The first i ever went to the ARKANSAS 500 Earlevet was riding a monster 1200 GS and riding Scotty's ass the whole time wondering why he was going so slow...

Now to be honest Earlevet is a great rider, but have seen many a big bike on this trip with no problems.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #387
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Greenbrier, Arkansas
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
I've seen you ride...you will be fine on the Tenere.
Thanks... good to know... Didn't realize that Earl had a 1200 before his 650... guess he would know if I would be alright on the Tenere as I've ridden with him as well.... thanks
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #388
Earlevet
ADVEarl
 
Earlevet's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 549
Help me remember, 450 KTM with reklus on Black Saturday? Is it Tom? You got the skills on whatever bike you bring. You need to trailer up so you can bring that bike too. I will let the XC rest and practice on my semi auto skills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieTenere View Post
Thanks... good to know... Didn't realize that Earl had a 1200 before his 650... guess he would know if I would be alright on the Tenere as I've ridden with him as well.... thanks
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #389
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,926
I can't wait till the link goes up so we can register. I'm going to stay at Byrds this year so I can steal Scribbles Scotch.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #390
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Greenbrier, Arkansas
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlevet View Post
Help me remember, 450 KTM with reklus on Black Saturday? Is it Tom? You got the skills on whatever bike you bring. You need to trailer up so you can bring that bike too. I will let the XC rest and practice on my semi auto skills
I'm Scott... was on the Black DRZ...on Black Friday ride
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014