Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #136
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafras View Post
Happy new year to you as well. We will try to see part of the Dakar. Once on a life chance to do it. What about you ? what are your plans. ???
I'm in Vietnam on a 110 copy of a honda right now. It is horrible. My ass is so sore because we rode from Hanoi to Ho chi min in about 1 week.

The KTM is in Cambodia so I'll be reunited with her soon. I'll stay there for a few weeks then work my way down toward Aus. Not sure if I'll do South American after Aus and NZ or return back to the States first. Gotta see how I feel in a few months.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #137
romafras OP
world traveler

Oddometer: 177

On january 7, 2014 we will start the last segment of South America. Our travels will take us from the city of La Serena in Chile, to the most southern tip of the world. La tierra del Fuego. The plan is to travel along the Carrettera Austral in Chile and then cross into Argentina along the famous ruta 40 all the way to Ushuaia. I visited Ushuaia and other part of Tierra del Fuego back in 1996 and I remember it to be a magical place. Back then, I also remember thinking to myself that I wished I was on my motorcycle. At the time I had an old BMW r 80 GS sitting in my garage in Italy. It’s hard to believe that 17 years later, I am living my dream of returning to la Tierra del Fuego on my motorcycle. :) .Matteo and myself are very exited about this segment of our journey.

After reaching Ushuaia, our plan is to travel north through Patagonia direction Buenos Aires, where the bikes will be shipped to South Africa. What ? What did I just write? South Africa ? OMG! Africa.

Africa is getting closer in our thoughts. When we started this amazing journey from Italy in 2011, Africa was so far away in our Imagination. We never really believed it. We all run pretty busy lives, but with our determination and most of all, the support from our families, it is coming to be a reality for us. Thanks again to the best wife (Marci) and best girlfriend (Laura) on earth that are making this adventure possible for two crazy dudes such as Matteo and myself.

Make sure you follow our journey through the last part of South America starting in January 2014.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #138
romafras OP
world traveler

Here we go again

Having taking care of all customs related issues, we leave La Serena (Chile) heading toward Argentina. Again we choose to go to Argentina via the most remote route available. According to locals and internet searches, the route we chose, it is a spectacular one that crosses the Elqui valley, also famous for the production of a liquor called “Pisco”. A delicious liquor which takes origin from grapes.

This road will take us to the highest pass of the Andes. The Pass of Agua Negra ( 4779 meters above sea level). The track is surrounded by a majestic scenery of huge mountains with snow-covered picks. Along the way we only meet a few “Gauchos” with their horses. The road requires some technical skills because its steep and has big drop offs.

Entering Argentina was quite easy with customs and immigration. From the start we feel immediately welcome. People are extremely friendly. We decide to find a place to stay for the night in the first village we encounter called Rodeo. That same evening their village festivities were starting so we had our first Argentinian ” Asado” which was to say the list amazing. We are now following the Ruta 40 south and plan to re-enter Chile in a few days to start the Lakes Region and the “Carretera Austral”.

Eliminated Participant of the Dakar Race

romafras screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 03:40 PM
romafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #139
iz4dja
traveller inside

Oddometer: 446
Amazing RR ! I'm impressed of your journey and your photos ! you trasmit strong feelings to me !!! ciao ragazzi state bene e buon viaggio
iz4dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #140
romafras OP
world traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iz4dja View Post
Amazing RR ! I'm impressed of your journey and your photos ! you trasmit strong feelings to me !!! ciao ragazzi state bene e buon viaggio
Thanks for you comment. Still more to come.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #141
romafras OP
world traveler

Ruta 40 and Carretera Austral

Ruta 40. Argentina

This Segment of our trip looks like it is going to be amazing. The scenery is stunning, The desert is hot, dry, dusty and bare. Just the way we like it. We are heading south along the famous Ruta 40 until Junin de los Andes before entering Chile once again. We are crossing between Argentina and Chile a few times in this segment. We ride along the Ruta of the 7 Lakes in Argentina, crossing the park of NAHUEL HUAPI. After crossing the border into Chile, we encounter the National park of PUYEHUE which takes us along the lake that carries the same name. The Lake is stunning and to make the experience even better, the Volcano Osorno is just in front of us.

Once we reach Puerto Mont, we realize that we need spare tires as the one we have on our motorcycles will not take us all the way to Buenos Aires. The roads are not in the best of shape therefore we stop at a moto shop in Puerto Montt and try to organize new tires to be shipped to Punta Arenas, which is still 2,500 Kilometers south. The tires should arrive in 4 to 5 days.

Now, off to start the Carretera Austral. The Road was in the process of being build but the big earthquake of 2010 put the work behind and the great majority of it is not paved. It is extremely dusty and full of rocks. This Road is interrupted by three ferries which allow us to rest a bit as the riding can be a somewhat technical at times. Both Matteo and myself are very enthusiastic about riding this Carretera Austral even in these conditions. We still have a lot of kilometers to go on this amazing Route so keep following for updates. Here some additional photos.

Our First accommodation on the Carretera Austral.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #142
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 847
Beautiful photos! Thanks for the update - looking forward to more!
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #143
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,362
Awesome! You have me looking forward to South America!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #144
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 977
Great RR looking forward to more
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #145
Olivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
It seams you went through a different planet. Great places. Thanks for the updates.
... and Dominator still looking good. E' un carrarmato!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #146
romafras OP
world traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Awesome! You have me looking forward to South America!
Something Magical. After what you have done you can't skip it. Let's keep in Contact. Africa is next for us.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #147
romafras OP
world traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivo View Post
It seams you went through a different planet. Great places. Thanks for the updates.
... and Dominator still looking good. E' un carrarmato!!!
Different planet for sure. In a good sense that is. Just a few small problems in Colombia. All the rest was magical. We loved South America. From Colombia to Argentina. Wonderful people.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #148
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 458
paso Robales

Took your advice and crossed on Ruta 41 from Baja Caracoles thru paso Robales. Was amazing! Thanks. We are currently in Chaiten.

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #149
romafras OP
world traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Took your advice and crossed on Ruta 41 from Baja Caracoles thru paso Robales. Was amazing! Thanks. We are currently in Chaiten.

Sara
Hello Sara. Good to hear from you guys. Make sure you keep going north on Ruta 40 until you reach Perito Moreno. From there take # 45 direction Rio Ibanez. You will ride next to "Lago Buenos Aires". There is a very small border to go back into Chile (It is called Pass Pallavicini) Just Amazing. From there you can take all the Route # 7 Carretera Austral all the way to Puerto Mont. Let me know. Cheers.

Border

Lago Buenos Aires

Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #150
romafras OP
world traveler

Still heading South

We are still heading south juggling from Chile to Argentina. We are now in Puerto Natales about 600 Kilometers from Ushuaia. The end of the Road. We spend almost all day riding with few stops along the way to admire the fantastic scenery in front of our eyes. We follow the Carretera Austral until the little tiny village of Ibanez on the Lake Buenos Aires. From there we cut across into Argentina heading to another little town named Perito Moreno. Once again the border crossing we choose is so small that they are not connected to the national system of immigration with a computer so they let us pass with many different pieces of documents that we will have to produce once we leave Argentina to return back into Chile later in our trip.

LAGO BUENOS AIRES

BORDER CROSSING PASS PALLAVICINI

Our destination is El Calafate where we plan to see the Perito Moreno glacier. We are still quite far from it but we try to push as much as we can, taking advantage of the late day light that is common this time of the year in this part of the world.

We plan to at least make it to Gobernador Gregores but due to the heavy head winds are forced to camp for the night in the middle of nowhere behind a Police station. We are not the only one that night that have to stop for the famous Patagonian winds. The backyard of the Police station quickly becomes an improvised camping grounds. Many people, even with cars decide to stop. The Patagonian winds can easily reach 100 Kilometers an hour making the handling of a motorcycle very dangerous.

PATAGONIA

The following day we are determined to get to El Calafate. I was there in 1996 when I made my first trip to Argentina. The town is completelty changed. In 1996 there was maybe 5000 people living there. Now there are more than 20000. The reason is that the clacier Perito Moreno is just 70 Kilometers away and it has become a touristic destination for many visitors. The glacier Perito Moreno is magnificent and definitly worthwhile visiting if you are in the region. Before the visit to the Perito Moreno we decide to have our first real ”asado” to recuperate all that lost energy against the Patagonian winds.

PERITO MORENO

ASADO