User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
(Does Anyone Remember) AMA Pro Roadracing: Elkhart Lake (Spoilers)e

Hey, that 3 months from the last AMA race really flew by, didn't it?

I'll be on the scene at Road America, as I have every year since 1985.

Follow me on twitter @yooperbikemike

Be there -- given the state of DMG/AMA roadracing, it could be the last one.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

New AMA Pro SuperBike Final Qualifying Procedure to be Implemented at Road America

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (May 20, 2014) - AMA Pro Racing is proud to announce a new and exciting final qualifying format for AMA Pro SuperBike which will debut later this month when AMA Pro Road Racing takes to the 4.05-mile track at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., for the Subway SuperBike Doubleheader on May 30 - June 1, 2014.

All AMA Pro SuperBike competitors will participate in Qualifying 1 and 2. The 12 fastest riders from the first two sessions advance to a third and final qualifying session immediately after. Those 12 riders will battle it out to set positions 1-12 on the provisional starting grid based solely on times in the final session.

"The new qualifying procedure has been geared to provide even more excitement for our fans," said Michael Gentry, Chief Operating Officer of AMA Pro Racing. "We look forward to seeing the top riders put on a great show for the fans at Road America."

The riders are excited for the new format, which is similar to those used by the other top series in the world.

"I think it's a really cool format, and I like that it's similar to the way final qualifying is done in World Superbike and MotoGP," said three-time AMA Pro SuperBike champion Josh Hayes (No. 4 Monster Energy Graves Yamaha YZF-R1). "Plus, it gives us a little more time to work on bike setup during that first qualifying session. Getting the fastest 12 guys out there on the track and all going for the pole during a short session adds excitement for the fans, and it's going to be fun for us, too."

"I think the new qualifying format is really cool and something different," said Roger Hayden (No. 95 Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing Suzuki GSX-R1000). "It gives the fans something else to get excited about and I'm really looking forward to getting our first crack at it at Road America."

Next up for AMA Pro Road Racing, the series heads to Road America for the Subway SuperBike Doubleheader on May 30 - June 1, 2014. For tickets and additional information regarding the event, please visit http://www.roadamerica.com/buy-ticke...ro-racing.html. Fans that are unable to visit Road America for Round 2 of the 2014 AMA Pro Road Racing season are encouraged to tune in to FansChoice.tv to catch all of the live streaming action.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Hey, that 3 months from the last AMA race really flew by, didn't it?

I'll be watching whatever they stream and following live timing and following Yoop's twitter feed. Looking forward to the weekend.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Wifarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Flat track races Friday night in Plymouth, Superbike Saturday, Supermoto Saturday evening, then try to drown myself at the Tiki Bar on Sat night. Looking to be a good weekend!!! And all within 20 minutes of my house!! Drove through last night with not a bike in sight. We'll see how tonight faires. Generally there will be a transporter or two parked at the Osthoff tonight.
Wifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,450
the new qualifying format would probably be cool, but it says the 12 fastest riders? do they even have 12 riders in superbike?

Elkhart is a nice track, would have loved to see an ama race there in it's heyday.
oh yeah, they need to race at Brainerd again, now THAT was an awesome track!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Wifarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had the joy of working on a superbike team from 1998 to Daytona 2001. Lots of factory support, lots of big names, lots of drinking and partying (Gobert was a hoot!). I sure do miss those days. The series is just a skeleton of its former self. Oh, and the infield parties at Brainerd were, well lets say a glory of red neck splendor!!
Wifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifarmer View Post
Oh, and the infield parties at Brainerd were, well lets say a glory of red neck splendor!!
Dig a hole!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Beaubier leads first session with Hayes a few tenths behind. I gather the weather is good.

For anyone attending the AMA Pro races, be sure and catch the AMA National Supermoto races this weekend at Showano facility close by.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Huh? The AMA started racing Supermoto again?? Nothing on amaproracing.com about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
For anyone attending the AMA Pro races, be sure and catch the AMA National Supermoto races this weekend at Showano facility close by.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Its not AMA Pro Racing and not licensed to/from DMG. Its called the AMA National Supermoto series. Matt Stewart runs it and recent events have attracted some of the AMA Pro Supermoto racers like Micky Dymond, Steve Drew, Joey Pascarella and others.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
2012 Joey Pascarella won the Daytona 200, and until the team ran out of money he was regularly beating the likes of Cam Beaubier, JD Beach, Gerloff, Gagne, and Fong. How the kid never picked up the support to keep going shows the sad state of road racing here.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
NASCAR trying to bring green/white/checkers to DMG racing.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Gagne had 'em all covered.

Superbike Race 1 starting now:
http://www.fanschoice.tv/watch-live/ama/roadrace
Old 05-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
SBK: Pro Thunder had a deeper field in the late 90's.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Yup.

Still a good race at the front. Beaubier is a cool customer.