Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #166
clearandlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Why not make life easier, get some 450rr engines and sx-f frames. Standard 24 liter tank and you are sorted..
I think that is called a 450 XC-F for the UK and USA market. No linkage rear end thought.
clearandlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #167
CPWSAFARI
Silverback

Oddometer: 71
You mean like this...

Sxf frame, 450 rr engine, sxs suspension - Ready to Race
Name:  Ryan CPW 450 (Small).jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  47.5 KB
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #168
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWSAFARI View Post
Attachment 314257
Exactly like that
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #169
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Interesting concept
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #170
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWSAFARI View Post
Attachment 314257
Quick silly question that comes to mind from this pic:

Why do most Dakar bike have the low header pipe silencer? Was it engine maintenance, easy to empty if waterlogged, better straight pipe sound? Some combo of all?

I know it's not a necessity, and this is somewhere in the back of my head but can't remember...
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #171
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post

Why do most Dakar bike have the low header pipe silencer? Was it engine maintenance, easy to empty if waterlogged, better straight pipe sound? Some combo of all?

I know it's not a necessity, and this is somewhere in the back of my head but can't remember...
heat
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #172
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:

As far as I understand, it's because most Dakar/Rally bikes are carrying massive quantities of fuel, usually in a fuel tank that otherwise occupies the space that a normal header pipe would occupy. Also, most rally bikes are also carrying rear mounted fuel tanks which also interfere with the normal muffler location. Hence the lower pipe and more vertically oriented muffler. some designs are more extreme than others, all depends on the configuration and size of said fuel tanks.

In the case of the bike in the picture above, the muffler is mounted on the bottom of a stainless steel fuel tank...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:05 AM
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #173
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimstone View Post
as far as i understand, it's because most dakar/rally bikes are carrying massive quantities of fuel, usually in a fuel tank that otherwise occupies the space that a normal header pipe would occupy. Also, most rally bikes are also carrying rear mounted fuel tanks which also interfere with the normal muffler location. Hence the lower pipe and more vertically oriented muffler. Some designs are more extreme than others, all depends on the configuration and size of said fuel tanks.

In the case of the bike in the picture above, the muffler is mounted on the bottom of a stainless steel fuel tank...
+1
DaveRMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #174
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
As far as I understand, it's because most Dakar/Rally bikes are carrying massive quantities of fuel, usually in a fuel tank that otherwise occupies the space that a normal header pipe would occupy. Also, most rally bikes are also carrying rear mounted fuel tanks which also interfere with the normal muffler location. Hence the lower pipe and more vertically oriented muffler. some designs are more extreme than others, all depends on the configuration and size of said fuel tanks.

Thanks for the info! Just a lurker but trying to wet my limited rally/dakar knowledge. Dazed fat and slow in Idaho.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #175
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
Thanks for the info! Just a lurker but trying to wet my limited rally/dakar knowledge. Dazed fat and slow in Idaho.
Well, if you are only wanting to wet your appetite, DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT check out the Official Dakar Rally thread in Racing... Or maybe do... and become another member of Team F5!!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #176
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
heat
Ah yes... Big thanks - I knew there was a practical reason. Silly that it would be the most obvious one that I forgot.

As I recall Ned ran the regular pipe for simplicity sake. I wonder if the lower pipe would have helped in some of his fuel issues..?
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #177
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Quote:
Ah yes... Big thanks - I knew there was a practical reason. Silly that it would be the most obvious one that I forgot.

As I recall Ned ran the regular pipe for simplicity sake. I wonder if the lower pipe would have helped in some of his fuel issues..?
Neduro was running a 6.3 Gallon Acerbis up front and an auxiliary mounted on the left rear side. The Acerbis tank allows for the stock header pipe to be run, with the muffler sitting in the normal stock position on the right side. Given the heat in the Fiambala Desert, it is possible the additional heat of the stock mounted header pipe could have contributed to fuel temperature issues, although, almost every rider if not all, experienced fuel issues. Even Marc Coma on the factory KTM 450RR.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #178
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
I detest riding with low pipes on an enduro bike, I had two machines set up that way and repeatedly flattened the pipes on both. I don't crash much, but I like soft suspension to avoid deflection and that means I occasionally land on something hard, and bang, there goes the pipe. Also, it heats your boot (and the engine cases), which can be trivial or very annoying, depending on the machine.

My 690RR has low pipes, but, the suspension was designed around them, so it doesn't put them in the ground before it bottoms like an enduro based machine does. Also, I don't tend to ride very technical terrain on that bike, and also, it has pretty stiff suspension relatively speaking. So far, they've been OK... but I still hate low pipes.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #179
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Well, if you are only wanting to wet your appetite, DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT check out the Official Dakar Rally thread in Racing... Or maybe do... and become another member of Team F5!!
Ha, I have dabbled the last two years - Neduro's tails sucked me right in -have a "Closed Due to Dakar" 8.5X11 above the garage work bench.

A bit concerned - trying to stay away from the hard stuff - easy to get hooked and develop a nasty Dakar habit.

(However this build appeals to my "cheap or free beer" sensibility.)
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #180
Trialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
"Ned's tail sucked me right in"...... all this talk of 'low pipes' isn't some euphemism is it???

Tales of the Dakar are very good, however.
Trialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote