ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #211
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,092
In the meantime, I still have a limited supply of brand new Dirty Dog polarised sunglasses and genuine Buff's - these were leftover stock from my 2011 Dakar Rally campaign and I'd like to clear them to help raise funds for my return in 2014...

Due to the limited stock I've listed them on ebay rather than the Jennydakar.com webshop page, and due to contractual details, I cannot sell them for less than RRP - but will post abroad to ADVers at cost price (contact me after using buy-it-now and I'll invoice the total amount depending on country).

I will also have some unique and very desirable Dakar memorabilia to sell/auction in the coming weeks, and will offer them here first on ADV...

In the meantime, this is what is available:

Buff 'Rubix' - limited edition design usually only available to sponsored/supported athletes.


Buff 'Logo' white/grey - limited edition design, again only usually available to sponsored/supported athletes.


Dirty Dog 'Big Dog' brown lens/brown frame - my favorite on-bike glasses - these wrap around the eye socket really well and fit nicely inside a helmet. They are ideal for dual-sport riding/mountainbiking/skiing and the like... Polarized lenses.


Dirty Dog 'Slick Willy' grey/green lens/black frame - very similar in shape to the Big Dog, but in an alternative black and grey/green lens finish, including metal trim to the hinges... Polarized lenses.


Kriega 'Stash' wallet/mini tool-roll - ideal as a travel wallet as it is large enough to hold a passport along with cash, cards, driving license etc. with various zipper pockets for coins and tickets too.


Alternatively, they also make for a fantastic compact tool-roll - I use one of these as my on-bike/rallye tool kit - see photo below:


Link to the Rubik Buff on ebay here - please see the 'other items' for the alternatives...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512760033...84.m1555.l2649

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #212
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,104
Jenny is there a easily accesable list of FIM homologated bikes ?

Good luck with the red tape !
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #213
DakarDreamer
Adventurer
 
DakarDreamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: On The (Dirt) Road in South America
Oddometer: 28
Jenny - ouch - sounds like a rock and hard place! As we know ASP/FIM don't usually go out of their way to accommodate and if they aren't keen on prototypes I guess it doesn't look good. :-(.

Any back up plans if it's a definite no?

Hope not though as I think the LC4-50 is a great idea!

Sorry I've been put of touch - poorly lately but better now so will give you and Martin a call about plans next week.
Cheers
Jago
__________________
Follow the Dakar With PickeringsRTW
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Picker...57216860985947
DakarDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #214
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer
 
garfey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Deep East Texas
Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
... So we wait. For a while longer at least.

Jx

...
Fingers crossed, Jen, though it does make typing a bit of a challenge.
__________________
So many bikes, so little time (and money)
garfey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #215
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

However should that be the outcome, where that leaves my personal Dakar campaign is a story for a whole other thread perhaps...
Where's that damn "fingernail biting smiley"????



hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #216
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!
 
Brimstone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: BC
Oddometer: 613
Jenny,

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Always challenges when doing something no one else has dared. I was wondering how the rule book would affect this project. Is putting a regular 450SXF engine in the frame out of the question? I mean, only if the FIM doesn't rule in your favour...

I'm still looking forward to how this turns out! Would be great to see a more endurance friendly bike option for privateers in the Dakar. Not every competitor can afford a factory 450RR and all the bazillion parts and spare engines to go along with it. And it seems to me that the Dakar bike class has more privateers than factory boys anyway so that is where the lion share of entry fees are coming from. Of course, we all know the ASO likes to get as many of those bikes out of the rally early on!!
__________________
Brimstone

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #217
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Jenny,

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Always challenges when doing something no one else has dared. I was wondering how the rule book would affect this project. Is putting a regular 450SXF engine in the frame out of the question? I mean, only if the FIM doesn't rule in your favour...
I think the main point of this project is to use a motor that has almost 2 liters of oil. The bottom end of the 690 is basically bulletproof. The problem with most 450s is the small amount of oil and need for very routine maintenance.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 111,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #218
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Jenny,

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Always challenges when doing something no one else has dared. I was wondering how the rule book would affect this project. Is putting a regular 450SXF engine in the frame out of the question? I mean, only if the FIM doesn't rule in your favour...
Hi Brimstone - as Ronin says above, the motivation for the project (certainly from John at Rally Raid) was to utilise the 690 engine - not only because it potentially offers far more strength and reliability, but trying to fit an alternative engine into the frame (unless you have the resources of the factory of course) would be plagued with small but niggly issues, and require far more testing and set up than a simple piston/crank swap and EFi reprogram which is the extent of the mods we are planning with the 690 lump.

However, perhaps even more importantly, we would still fall foul of the FIM rule book - which states that the engine and mainframe (plus swingarm) must come from the same [450cc production] machine... so we would be in no better position with them - in fact it would be worse, since the engine would have come from one model and the frame from another - at least our way the engine and the frame are still from the same production machine.

Quote:
I'm still looking forward to how this turns out! Would be great to see a more endurance friendly bike option for privateers in the Dakar. Not every competitor can afford a factory 450RR and all the bazillion parts and spare engines to go along with it. And it seems to me that the Dakar bike class has more privateers than factory boys anyway so that is where the lion share of entry fees are coming from. Of course, we all know the ASO likes to get as many of those bikes out of the rally early on!!
Certainly that was John's intention - to offer a realistic, affordable and reliably alternative to the current crop of 450cc enduro/mx derived bikes...

However, the current FIM regulations do not allow for 'prototype' bikes (Maybe we should just build a 2WD buggy instead eh?) - so unless we were to going into full-scale production and make at least 100 examples and have it homologated, I can't see this bike being widely adopted for Dakar or any FIM championship event under the current rules... Alternatively, if they did relax the rules (which they have no reason to do) to allow prototypes, it then potentially opens up a lot more avenues for cheating at the sharper end of the field?

It is frustrating, as this really is my only realistic chance of getting back to the Dakar this year...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #219
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep
 
Trang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Orange NSW Australia
Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

However, the current FIM regulations do not allow for 'prototype' bikes (Maybe we should just build a 2WD buggy instead eh?) - so unless we were to going into full-scale production and make at least 100 examples and have it homologated, I can't see this bike being widely adopted for Dakar or any FIM championship event under the current rules... Alternatively, if they did relax the rules (which they have no reason to do) to allow prototypes, it then potentially opens up a lot more avenues for cheating at the sharper end of the field?

Jx
So where does this leave Speedbrain?
__________________
"I still haven't worked out why all these people are here, but all I can think is there's a small amount of craziness left in an increasingly sanitised world and they want to be part of it"
Russ Malkin 2006
Trang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #220
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer
 
italrally's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang View Post
So where does this leave Speedbrain?

Speedbrain company now is a own motorcycle manufacturer.
They get certified some month ago.
So i think they will have no problems with the FIM & ASO rules.
__________________
RallyRaid stuff and MD & MIGTEC roadbooks & RNS - Trip Computer & Alu-Supports & Carbonfibre plates for sale !!!
Design your own personal KENNY Rally Raid jacket !!!
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #221
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang View Post
So where does this leave Speedbrain?
As Italrally says above, technically Speedbrain is going through the process of getting their bike homologated (although I don't imagine they have built 100 examples yet!)...

The Speedbrain project is a good example of what I've been talking about - essentially it started out as a modified BMW G450X (engine, mainframe and swingarm) so no problem there - once the bike became a Husqvarna of course, things got a bit more interesting - the engine was a Husky (in effect an evolution of the G450X), but the frame was still essentially a G450X frame, with various Speedbrain modifications, plus the incorporation of the Husky style linkage rear suspension/swingarm... a real bitsa, and certainly not what you might call a 'production' bike - only the engine was really any part of the Husky TE449...

However, the ASO have a rule (supplementary to the FIM homologation) that allows anyone on the Elite rider list (and by inference, any team such a rider is associated - which is likely to be a 'factory' concern of some sort) to enter on a machine that only 15 examples have been build/prepared, which is how I'm sure Speedbrain were able to continually develop their bike over the past couple of years without the expense of going into full production...

Certainly it was in ASO's interest to have a manufacturer like BMW (and latterly Husqvarna) in the mix - especially as one of the main reasons for the 450cc max capacity rule change was to encourage more manufacturer and factory teams - so you can see why they allowed a premier operation like Speedbrain (who could attract competitors on the Elite riders' list) to continue with what was essentially a 'prototype' after all?

However, as I understand it, even without the sale of Husqvarna and the apparent disassembly of that brand (for the moment at least) - word has it that Speedbrain had to finally commit to a production bike/specification to continue racing in FIM sanctioned events (politics at play here I'm sure), which is why they are in the process of putting the current bike through actual homologation.

However, I wonder if that too will ultimately all be in vain? - Long/er term, it will be interesting to see which engine Speedbrain end up using, as I can't imagine the supply of that bastard child that was the Kymco 450X/TE449 engine is going to continue all that much longer? Certainly BMW don't want it, and neither I suspect will the re-launched Husqvarna brand later this year... So that just leaves CCM and their GP450 Adventure bike... actually, thinking about it, that might make an interesting rallye bike too!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #222
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!
 
Brimstone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: BC
Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
However, I wonder if that too will ultimately all be in vain? - Long/er term, it will be interesting to see which engine Speedbrain end up using, as I can't imagine the supply of that bastard child that was the Kymco 450X/TE449 engine is going to continue all that much longer? Certainly BMW don't want it, and neither I suspect will the re-launched Husqvarna brand later this year... So that just leaves CCM and their GP450 Adventure bike... actually, thinking about it, that might make an interesting rallye bike too!

Jx
Rumour in the Bivouac thread is Speedbrain may be partnering with Honda. So, CRF450 engined bmwhusquvarnaktmberg? LOL!
__________________
Brimstone

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #223
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,762
All other problems aside, it looks to me that the real desert era may end up pretty soon.

Factories may disagree with prototypes, may be they want to associate rally racing machines with current models like once did (Tenere, Africa, DR big, Tuareg... etc) but leaving prototypes out of the equation is a no go for the future. At least IMHO.

By trying unique things in this environment, may be some things will find their way into production. Why not open the gates to privateers ? The 450 cc deal of course is better than larger capacity engines and there are lots of 450 engines around. But I feel that there is something missing in the rule book there which I fail to understand. The bike has to be in production. Much like the SBK's were. Why don't they add another category with prototypes that conform to certain basic rules? Engine capacity being one of them. But if you build a frameless 2x2 bike with a 450 engine and they don't allow it to race how on earth do you help in progressing things a little bit further ?

I hope this turns out the other way round from what it looks now Jenny
May be we should all order one LC4-50 and make it to the start line
__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #224
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Rumour in the Bivouac thread is Speedbrain may be partnering with Honda. So, CRF450 engined bmwhusquvarnaktmberg? LOL!
Yes, I'd seen that... however, similarly I can't imagine the CRF engine in it's current guise is going to be around all that much longer - it is essentially the oldest of all the 450cc enduro/mx engines - not that there is anything wrong with it at all, it's just potentially lacking in any further development compared to the YZF and current generation KTM XCF engines?

And what happens with the current Factory Honda effort? - I can't see them letting a 'rival' manufacturer use the same engines as the factory team? - particularly as the Speedbrain chassis/rallye kit is very dialed in now and fast (faster than the 2012/13 Honda factory bikes were anyway).

Perhaps they are selling a batch of the older CRF engines to pave the way [and help pay] for a new generation CRF engine/bike in the near future? - I heard a rumour it would be in showrooms by 2015 (model year) at the latest.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #225
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
All other problems aside, it looks to me that the real desert era may end up pretty soon.

Factories may disagree with prototypes, may be they want to associate rally racing machines with current models like once did (Tenere, Africa, DR big, Tuareg... etc) but leaving prototypes out of the equation is a no go for the future. At least IMHO.

By trying unique things in this environment, may be some things will find their way into production. Why not open the gates to privateers ? The 450 cc deal of course is better than larger capacity engines and there are lots of 450 engines around. But I feel that there is something missing in the rule book there which I fail to understand. The bike has to be in production. Much like the SBK's were. Why don't they add another category with prototypes that conform to certain basic rules? Engine capacity being one of them. But if you build a frameless 2x2 bike with a 450 engine and they don't allow it to race how on earth do you help in progressing things a little bit further ?

I hope this turns out the other way round from what it looks now Jenny
May be we should all order one LC4-50 and make it to the start line
A very good point, and a view that John (Rally Raid), Carl (Hagenblad) and myself share entirely...

Perhaps the day will come where prototype bikes are allowed their own catagory - after all, the 2WD buggies are essentially free rein other than maximum capacity and suspension travel specification...

Certainly it is a real stumbling block to development having to have the engine and mainframe (chassis) from the same bike, and a production one at that - although to be honest, when you strip away the subframe and ancillaries, the average MX/enduro beam frame really only connects the headstock to the swingarm and cradles the engine - so you can't really get any more minimalist than that! (Obviously a tiny MX style engine is not going to be strong enough to use as a stressed member in the same way as a Ducati V-twin is for example)...

As I say above, the ASO (and FIM) do have a caveat that allows the Elite riders/Factory teams to build a limited run of 15 bikes (ie. say six team bikes and a few test machines) and still compete - and I guess us privateers have to realise that the Dakar (and FIM world championship) while still open to non-professional riders and teams, is very much geared towards being the F1 or at least WRC of cross-country motor sport...

As far as they are concerned, we should be grateful we are even allowed to still play with the big boys! - so if we want to, then we have to foot the associated costs of joining the party, and comply with the regulations which increasingly favor the manufacturers and factory teams...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014