Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #376
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Do any changes in the 2014 Duke engine 690 complicate things for the future of the project?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I apologise for hijacking Jenny's thread, but in answer to your question, in theory, no it should be the same.But the new twin plug head may have a different combustion chamber shape, so until we get a 2014 motor apart and confirm this, the jury is out.
ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #377
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
is Cosworth doing the peening work?
No, Cosworth are just in charge of the pistons - the crank and rod is manufactured by A&M EDM (link in the post above)...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #378
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
I apologise for hijacking Jenny's thread, but in answer to your question, in theory, no it should be the same.But the new twin plug head may have a different combustion chamber shape, so until we get a 2014 motor apart and confirm this, the jury is out.
Not a hijack at all - 'Mitch is your man when it comes to the techno-nerdy stuff here!

I was just going to direct Sparrowhawk your way anyway, as I thought this might have been the answer...

Jx
Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 AM   #379
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
No, Cosworth are just in charge of the pistons - the crank and rod is manufactured by A&M EDM (link in the post above)...

Jx

Mailed John about shot peening details and superfinishing guys I know in the UK
Shot peening can actually double the life of the gears as well, especially if it is well controlled and not ''black art'' type of peening. Not to hijack the thread, but just to add how brilliant this process is, crack may be on the surface of the component, but when you peen it, the stresses produced by the process make the cracks actually close. It is done in all high performance motorsport parts, valve springs, gearboxes, pistons, rods, cranks... anything that sees cyclic loads basically and fails through fatigue...

Excellent to see that such a process is used in these components. Increased reliability and high tech parts

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 12:26 PM
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #380
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Shot peening can actually double the life of the gears as well, especially if it is well controlled and not ''black art'' type of peening. Not to hijack the thread, but just to add how brilliant this process is, crack may be on the surface of the component, but when you peen it, the stresses produced by the process make the cracks actually close. It is done in all high performance motorsport parts, valve springs, gearboxes, pistons, rods, cracks... anything that sees cyclic loads basically and fails through fatigue...
Very interesting... thanks for the information!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #381
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

On a slight side note, if I'm to cover the cost of my Dakar entry next year, I'm really going to have to sell my WR450... ad in the flea market here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post23515472

Please forward to anyone you know who might be interested - remember this bike is in the UK, although I'd be happy to arrange transport and/or shipping at the buyers expense.

Jx
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #382
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

See this:

A KTM 690 with a Rally Raid Products EVO2 fairing kit right?

Kinda... it is actually the first production engined LC4-50 on a test run earlier today...

Donna Grey (from Torque Racing) has been 'gently' - I am assured ;o) - putting it through it's paces in a series of shakedown test-runs before we take it off to Tunisia next week for some proper testing in desert conditions!

It might have taken us 12 months longer than we first envisaged, but we now can honestly say we have a production ready 450cc LC4 engine in a bike that is eligible for Dakar 2015!

Woop!

Jenny xx
Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #383
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,979
Very curious to see what power is left or reduced from the 690...

Hopefully not too much, its a big bike to begin with.

Stoked its finally alive

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #384
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 82
Yeah, lovely project. Those the translucent tanks? They look great - prob put the same on my 690 later this year...
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #385
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
JMo and KTM Mitch - it's great to see this project moving on from an idea, to drawings, to parts and finally to a running bike - well done

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 AM   #386
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
It is amazing to see the bike is going forward and runs fine
Congrats to the engineering team, very, very well done!

Looking forward to see performance features etc.
Jenny, do they plan to test the bike, open it up and check wear, clearances etc? I mean for the parts that were changes, because obviously with the detuned version the gearbox will last forever
Old 02-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #387
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
JMo and KTM Mitch - it's great to see this project moving on from an idea, to drawings, to parts and finally to a running bike - well done
Thanks Pebble - I know how enthusiastic you've been about this project too!

We should have a much clearer idea how 'race ready' it is after some testing in Tunisia while the Tuareg Rallye is happening (7th-14th March).

For the moment it is still running the stock fuel map (actually a slightly modified one by the late great Beaney - albeit for a 690cc engine), so once we've got a few 'running in' miles on it, it will be onto the Dyno to properly set up the fueling and see what sort of power and torque figures we are getting...

Don't anyone expect fireworks of course - this is a 690 engine with getting on for 1/3rd less cubic capacity remember... but what we hope to have are figures in the region of any other commercially available 450cc enduro bike engine, with the added benefit of far larger oil capacity and a much stronger gearbox.

Certainly a 'seat of the pants' ride by Donna Grey form Torque Racing has revealed a nice and consistent spread of torque, despite the shorter stroke, and essentially a engine that feels like a large capacity unit in it's delivery...

More soon!

Jx
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #388
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
It is amazing to see the bike is going forward and runs fine
Congrats to the engineering team, very, very well done!

Looking forward to see performance features etc.
Jenny, do they plan to test the bike, open it up and check wear, clearances etc? I mean for the parts that were changes, because obviously with the detuned version the gearbox will last forever
Hi Armageddon! - yes, that is certainly the plan after tunisia - open it up and check the wear, then reassemble and get it on the dyno.

There is also the potential to set up some back-to-back comparison tests (in conjunction with a magazine) with this bike and a Factory 450RFR - that should be interesting indeed!

But of course we are under no illusion that this bike is actually going to compete directly with a 450RFR in the outright performance stakes... But what we do hope however is that it will provide the privateer [Dakar/FIM] rally racer with a serious lower-budget alternative, that at the same time also requires far less maintenance during the course of a season or event.

Exciting times!

Jx
Old 03-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #389
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Just a quick update and taster from team Rally Raid Products/Torque Racing...

John (RRP) and Martin (TR) have been very busy over the last few days getting the production LC4-50 bike together in time to ship to Tunisia with the rest of the Torque Racing supported riders this year who are competing in the Tuareg Rallye.

Donna's initial test-rides these past couple of days have revealed the bike feels very much like a slightly de-tuned version of the KTM 690 to ride, which in effect it is of course.

Although it is currently still running a 690cc fuel map, her seat-of-the-pants review is that the engine is smooth and feels very torquey (for a short-stroke over-square design), and after this initial shake-down, we are confident to take it to Tunisia and put some proper test mileage on it alongside the Tuareg Rallye.

We are also hoping to be able to tweak the fueling maps while we are out there (with a laptop), then once we get home again, the engine will be stripped, inspected, and the production components finally signed-off for batch production.

We'll then get in on the dyno, and set it up optimally with a dedicated fuel-map (still using the original ECU and fuel-injection body) that will be part of the customer kit to be made available.

Exciting times!

Martin Wittering with the first production LC4-50:

Custom Graphics Kit by ZeroNine (who make all the RRP sticker sets for the EVO2 kits) - a patriotic twist on the usual blue and orange design:

It was engineered and built in Britain dontcha know!:

Alongside my race reporting over on the Tuareg Rallye 2014 - Official Media Coverage thread, I will also endeavour to bring you updates from our testing in the Tunisian desert!

More soon, I have some packing to do!

Jenny xx
Old 03-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #390
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThePanda View Post
Yeah, lovely project. Those the translucent tanks? They look great - prob put the same on my 690 later this year...
Hi Max - Yes, they are the opaque versions (rather than the solid white), which means with the rally graphic kit fitted which has a cut out in the sides, you can see the fuel level in the tanks at a glance.

Jx