Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #421
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Wow... a lot of miles to Hellas!! Which roads should you take here in Italy?
You are not wrong - we tapped the route into the GPS today, and from Rally Raid Products' HQ to Ancona it's 1091 miles, and that's the most direct route!

Not sure of the final route just yet, but I'm likely to skirt around the top of Switzerland through Austria, then head south from there...

I have to say, the bike feels fantastic now the fueling is properly sorted, and I had a good 'getting to know you' with it this afternoon under the watchful eye and direction of KTMmitch... I am now confident I can undertake any field repairs required - should the need arise of course - which I hope not!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #422
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Hi Jenny,

I would go via Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse, Charmonix-Mont-Blanc, then the Tunnel, Aosta, Vercelli, Tortona, Piacenza, Parma, Bologna to Ancona.
The Austria Route is quite a bit longer and not cheaper in Road Toll.
Maybe if you compare the road toll it might still be the same as buying the Swiss Vignette and go thru Switzerland?

If you get in trouble close to Switzerland and need assistance Donna has my mobile number and I can assist you.
I will set off on the 1st of may late evening to Ancona from Zurich in a Van. Ferry in Ancona leaves on the 2nd at 2pm

cu
Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #423
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Jenny,

Are you taking a ferry from Ancona to Greece?
There are some pretty nice roads and sights down the Adriatic cost.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #424
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Just remembered,

If you go like I wrote above and you want something else than motorways, you can take the little St. Bernadino Pass instead of the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
Is a very nice ride.
Instead of going to Charmonix go further south to Albertville and there the D925. In Bourg-Saint-Maurice go north east on the D1090 which will become the SS26 on the Italian side. Once you hit the A5 in the Aosta Valley you are back on the way mentioned in my post above.

cu
Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #425
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe View Post
Hi Jenny,

I would go via Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse, Charmonix-Mont-Blanc, then the Tunnel, Aosta, Vercelli, Tortona, Piacenza, Parma, Bologna to Ancona.
The Austria Route is quite a bit longer and not cheaper in Road Toll.
Maybe if you compare the road toll it might still be the same as buying the Swiss Vignette and go thru Switzerland?

If you get in trouble close to Switzerland and need assistance Donna has my mobile number and I can assist you.
I will set off on the 1st of may late evening to Ancona from Zurich in a Van. Ferry in Ancona leaves on the 2nd at 2pm

cu
Stefan
Hi Stefan - thanks, that is actually pretty much the route we took down in the Van down to Genoa for the Tuareg, which is why I thought about mixing it up a little this time? - but it is a good point about the tolls going the Austrian way... I do believe John already has a Vignette I can use, so I may end up cutting through Switzerland after all.

Funny you mention the Little St. Bernadino Pass as an alternative - that is one of my favourite routes through the Alps - I went that way diagonally north east from south of Grenoble (Col du Glandon etc) - which I'm sure you know too!

I've got three days to get down to Ancona (the plan is to RV with the Torque trucks and KTMmitch who is flying in on the Thursday, and get the Friday 2nd sailing too) - so I'll have some time to pick more scenic roads, just not sure I want to be riding those passes so early in the year - brrrrrr!

See you soon, and thank you again!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 01:48 AM
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #426
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Jenny,

Are you taking a ferry from Ancona to Greece?
There are some pretty nice roads and sights down the Adriatic cost.
Yes, we are all meeting up on the Thursday in Ancona and getting the Friday sailing...

I have to say, I was tempted to ride the whole way down the east side as you suggest - I think Lukas and Lyndon are planning on doing that - but time constraints and team logistics mean I'll have to be in Ancona to meet up with KTMmitch and take the boat...

Of course once the rally is over, who knows how I'll head home*?!

*Just as long as it isn't in a damn helicopter like last time!!!

Jx
Old 04-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #427
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Yes, we are all meeting up on the Thursday in Ancona and getting the Friday sailing...

I have to say, I was tempted to ride the whole way down the east side as you suggest - I think Lukas and Lyndon are planning on doing that - but time constraints and team logistics mean I'll have to be in Ancona to meet up with KTMmitch and take the boat...

Of course once the rally is over, who knows how I'll head home*?!

*Just as long as it isn't in a damn helicopter like last time!!!

Jx
I'm on it, half way across Germany now. Heading to Lukas's and then down the east side.....WOOT!

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul.../wheres-lyndon
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #428
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I'm on it, half way across Germany now. Heading to Lukas's and then down the east side.....WOOT!

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul.../wheres-lyndon
I would think you would want to get the "Support Lyndon" link on the AS site up and going at some point... I know some people would like to help out...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #429
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,023
As if the races themselves weren't enough, you 's and 'ettes gotta go and ride to the races! A lot of us out here in the sticks (well, one at least ) are following without ever saying much. Best wishes to all of you and remember ... NO HELICOPTER RIDES!!11!!!111
Old 04-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #430
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Desafio inca?

Jen,

Might you do the DAKAR SERIES 'DESAFIO INCA' event in Peru (where BlueBull and I work and live ) Sept 8-14, 2014 as a run-up for the Dakar 2015, then ship to BA from Lima for the big event?

I will be there with a group of 10 friends, on bikes out in the desert to cheer you on!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #431
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Jenny on the move!!

Hot news from Torque Racing Team Truck is that they met up with Jenny & the LC4-50 in France and passed through the Monte Blanc tunnel into Switzerland last night, hoping to rv with them on Thursday after flying into Ancona, Italy, to catch the ferry to Greece with the team.
Go Jenny....
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #432
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Hot news from Torque Racing Team Truck is that they met up with Jenny & the LC4-50 in France and passed through the Monte Blanc tunnel into Switzerland last night, hoping to rv with them on Thursday after flying into Ancona, Italy, to catch the ferry to Greece with the team.
Go Jenny....
Great progress!!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #433
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Just checking in from sunny (not!) Ancona!

Had an 'eventful' couple of days riding down - including getting thoroughly soaked THREE times today... Grrrrr, Europe in springtime ;o)

Bike has been going great - had a problem with the fuel injector at the end of the first day - limped to my hotel (a marathon 2-day liaison stage with a remote bivouac for bikes...) and swapped it for a spare in the carpark the following morning - good job John has stashed all the essential spares around the 'mothership'!

Some big distances through Europe so far - 741kms on the first day, 683kms yesterday and another 598kms today - that is over 2000kms since leaving Rally Raid HQ on Monday... The LC4-50 really munches the miles - I can't imagine a 450cc enduro coping so well - it sits all day at 130kmh, and you don't feel you're stressing it - sweet!

It is even quite comfortable on the stock seat, although I think I might have to speak to James Renazco when I get back ;o)

Interestingly, 2000kms is approximately half the liaison distance of Dakar, so together with a week racing in Greece and another 2000kms home, it will be a great test of longevity and reliability... Of both bike and rider!

More soon...

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 09:23 AM
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #434
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 722
Long time follower.

You go Jenny - very interested to see how the bike sorts out.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #435
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Just checking in from sunny (not!) Ancona!

Had an 'eventful' couple of days riding down - including getting thoroughly soaked THREE times today... Grrrrr, Europe in springtime ;o)

Bike has been going great - had a problem with the fuel injector at the end of the first day - limped to my hotel (a marathon 2-day liaison stage with a remote bivouac for bikes...) and swapped it for a spare in the carpark the following morning - good job John has stashed all the essential spares around the 'mothership'!

Some big distances through Europe so far - 741kms on the first day, 683kms yesterday and another 598kms today - that is over 2000kms since leaving Rally Raid HQ on Monday... The LC4-50 really munches the miles - I can't imagine a 450cc enduro coping so well - it sits all day at 130kmh, and you don't feel you're stressing it - sweet!

It is even quite comfortable on the stock seat, although I think I might have to speak to James Renazco when I get back ;o)

Interestingly, 2000kms is approximately half the liaison distance of Dakar, so together with a week racing in Greece and another 2000kms home, it will be a great test of longevity and reliability... Of both bike and rider!

More soon...

Jx
Love the update and relating to the " little fixes" it takes to keep the LC4-50 show on the road. All the best Jenny!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote