Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #436
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Big cup of best wishes to all of you from back in Blighty!

The LC4-50 is gonna be the Kalashnikov of bikes!

F5'ing, F5'ing, F5'ing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Just checking in from sunny (not!) Ancona!

Had an 'eventful' couple of days riding down - including getting thoroughly soaked THREE times today... Grrrrr, Europe in springtime ;o)

Bike has been going great - had a problem with the fuel injector at the end of the first day - limped to my hotel (a marathon 2-day liaison stage with a remote bivouac for bikes...) and swapped it for a spare in the carpark the following morning - good job John has stashed all the essential spares around the 'mothership'!

Some big distances through Europe so far - 741kms on the first day, 683kms yesterday and another 598kms today - that is over 2000kms since leaving Rally Raid HQ on Monday... The LC4-50 really munches the miles - I can't imagine a 450cc enduro coping so well - it sits all day at 130kmh, and you don't feel you're stressing it - sweet!

It is even quite comfortable on the stock seat, although I think I might have to speak to James Renazco when I get back ;o)

Interestingly, 2000kms is approximately half the liaison distance of Dakar, so together with a week racing in Greece and another 2000kms home, it will be a great test of longevity and reliability... Of both bike and rider!

More soon...

Jx
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #437
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Well you put the magic number 1000+ miles, to really test the bike and the rider why not make a run for a SS1000 on the way home.

/Zappa
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #438
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
JMo and the bike in action

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #439
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
How's the ride home going?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #440
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
How's the ride home going?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Hi Sparrowhawk!

I actually got back last week - blitzed back from Italy in a couple of 800+km days - wet (sleet and snow!) in Switzerland, but otherwise uneventful...

The bike really is very good at long liaison - the Hellas features a lot of tough technical riding on the special stages, and by the end of the week I don't think there were many riders who would have considered riding their race-bike home again after that!

At the final tally, the bike covered the best part of 6000kms in a little over two weeks, including 4000kms of liaison, which is the equivalent of the Dakar liaison distance - so a good indication of how [fresh/tired] the rider is going to feel going into the specials... and how the bike is likely to react to hours of slogging at high/constant revs in between the fun parts...

Oh, and if anyone needed any more convincing about the strength and reliability of the LC4-50 engine - we didn't even change (or top up) the oil!

I'm going through a few photos at the moment, and will put together a more comprehensive ride report as soon as I can!

Toot toot!

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 05:17 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #441
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Fantastic!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #442
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Hi Sparrowhawk!

I actually got back last week - blitzed back from Italy in a couple of 800+km days - wet (sleet and snow!) in Switzerland, but otherwise uneventful...

The bike really is very good at long liaison - the Hellas features a lot of tough technical riding on the special stages, and by the end of the week I don't think there were many riders who would have considered riding their race-bike home again after that!

At the final tally, the bike covered the best part of 6000kms in a little over two weeks, including 4000kms of liaison, which is the equivalent of the Dakar liaison distance - so a good indication of how [fresh/tired] the rider is going to feel going into the specials... and how the bike is likely to react to hours of slogging at high/constant revs in between the fun parts...

Oh, and if anyone needed any more convincing about the strength and reliability of the LC4-50 engine - we didn't even change (or top up) the oil!

I'm going through a few photos at the moment, and will put together a more comprehensive ride report as soon as I can!

Toot toot!

Jx
Of course we did'nt change the oil, there's a recession on !!!
Seriously though, big thanks to Jenny for a mammoth test of the LC4-50 in its first competitive outing, and a huge trans-european road trip.
It has been a real "sign off" moment after her win in the Hellas Rally, and when she arrived back in the UK after 6,000km and virtually zero problems, we knew that was the final piece of the jigsaw complete.
Our next task is to make 2 more "sister" LC4-50 Rally bikes ready for customers to buy or rent, and these should be ready early July.
One of those is destined for Sweden, and some serious gravel road testing, whilst we are hoping to send the other to a prospective Dakar pilot in the US, so any ADV inmates with a Dakar urge that needs fixing, get in touch.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #443
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Avengers Assemble!

Dakar Dazed II - part 2: The road to Dakar 2015

is now live, and full of good stuff for your delectation!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post24316132

Please check in and follow there as we embark on the second stage towards Dakar 2015 - the bike is ready, now we need to assemble a team!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #444
matheas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
sweet. subscribed. btw nice article in advmoto. keep up the good work.
matheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #445
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Copy of post from Dakar Dazed - part 2...

The initial scrutineering and shipping from Le Havre is traditionally the first time we get to see the bikes and teams in their final liveries prior to the actual start of the Dakar each year.

With just a week to go now before our debut in front of the world’s media, I’m delighted to announce that ADV ADDICTS™ will be a key sponsor and our official apparel supplier for our Dakar 2015 campaign - and indeed we are both committed to extending this partnership throughout 2015 and Dakar 2016 as we expand on the LC4-50 team project over the coming season.

ADV ADDICTS™ are a brand new Bay-Area based apparel company, producing premium quality casual wear for Adventure motorcycle and Dual-sport riding enthusiasts, designed and manufactured in the USA.

Founder and creative director Dave Lin has been following the LC4-50 project for a while, and approached us with a proposal that included providing some exclusive apparel for the LC4-50 crew to wear, together with a limited edition production run of supporters’ shirts to help raise funds for the team.

“It’s an amazing opportunity and a great honour to be able to support Rally Raid Products in their 2015 Dakar Rally effort. John and the team have worked extremely hard to develop the LC4-50 Project from concept to reality, and with this successful entry, they are ready to show what the team and the bike can do” said Dave.

“It’s really a great partnership because both the LC4-50 and ADV Addicts Moto Wear can be considered new startups, and both projects have been realised by a common dedication and passion for riding motorcycles, whether it’s traveling around the world or racing Dakar. We’re excited to be able to outfit the RRP / Torque Racing Team for Dakar, and look forward to the Start Podium in January!”

Although the LC4-50 campaign this year is already very much a team effort, we are still in effect a very small operation, with the two guys who actually designed/developed and built this bike supporting a single [albeit immensely talented] rider this year.

We consider our participation in the Dakar 2015 as not only the culmination of over two and a half years engineering development, but fundamentally as a milestone and subsequent springboard to be able to offer privateer riders a competitive, affordable and foremost reliable package (including full and/or partial service assistance should they desire) - to give them the best chance of obtaining a finishers medal in what is undoubtedly the toughest off-road race in the world.

Being able to offer our supporters some quality team apparel is just one way we hope to recoup just some of the immense cost of participation, and in return we feel privileged to be able to take you along for the ride… so standby for "Dakar Dazed II - part 3" - to coincide with scrutineering and the build up to Buenos Aires and beyond - coming very soon to a forum near you!

Certainly while Carl, John and Martin will be flogging their guts out in South America come January, I’ll be back home in the UK doing my utmost best to provide you with as much possible information as I can glean from the team during the course of the event. Wearing my ADV ADDICTS™ official team T shirt of course ;o)

To grab your own slice of team history, please visit the dedicated page on the ADV ADDICTS™ webshop: ADV ADDICTS™ - Dakar Team shirt - and of course please do take a moment to check out their other designs too - all their shirts include free stickers and free shipping in mainland USA.

Note. for UK & European customers, the LC4-50 team shirts will also be available to order through the Rally Raid Products web-shop, saving you any international shipping and customs charges. We’ll let you know as soon as that facility is live too - although if you simply can’t wait, you are always welcome to order directly from ADV ADDICTS™ in the meantime…

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-13-2014 at 03:30 PM