Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
New Zealand is NOT Australia mate nor is it Austria. If you had even bothered to have a cursory read of the posts above yours you would have seen that the bike is from New Zealand.
You seem to have a habit if typing without knowing what you are typing about maybe it's time to think before you type.
same difference.......
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
I like it (seen these before), but if I am not mistaken these are not street legal in the USA unless you try and go for a moped registration and then you can't ride it on the highway (not that I would want to). I would be interested to see if they are street legal in NZ - I would like to winter there when I retire.

In general an "Adventure Bike" requires the bike be street legal, otherwise it is just a "dirt bike" - although I always say "adventure is where you find it" and that doesn't have to include long distances on foreign roads, it can just be in your backyard (now that my "backyard" is 20 forested acres, that is even more true).

For what they are intended I think they are probably great - yet another option for us. No one bike is perfect for all conditions and the light weight is a great benefit.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
MikeFX:

Great looking machine. I hope we see it here in the states someday.

Do you heve a weight limitation in mind? In other words, can it haul my fat arse? I'm about 119kg. (I'm likin' the metric thing...it's a smaller number than pounds).
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
This looks like the latest version of a vaporware bike that has been sighted on the internet for 5+ years.

Those tires are garbage, and I wouldn't trust the 10yo technology mountain bike fork either. I think that fork was last produced in 2003 or something.

Cool idea will be a helluva lot cooler when it exists in the real world.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
That engine design is a horizontal engine, the oil pump pick up is at the front. It will need twice the oil capacity to keep the sump submerged. That engine will not survive standing up like that. It also needs the crank to throw oil up under the piston.
wit twice the amount of oil in it, the crankcase pressure will pump the oil out the vent.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #21
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,159
First up, let me say I think this is a GREAT concept!

It puts me in mind of the Scorpa 4Tricks that was sold a while ago:

Using BMX/Mountainbike cycle parts and a pit-bike engine - although that was very much designed as a skate-park play bike of course.

Of course this FX not an 'adventure bike' in the traditional sense (although why a huge great BMW loaded with luggage automatically gets that nomenclature I don't know?!) - but as Codemonkey says above, you can have an adventure anywhere on anything... and I can certainly see a whole bunch of potential in something like this - taking it on extreme trails (where if it all goes shits-up, you just pick it up and carry it!), and as long as you were prepared to travel light (with just a backpack) would think it would be perfect for exploring countries like India and Thailand for example - hell the locals do ok on mopeds there?!

However, I similarly share the concern about how you might register one of these for road use?

To my mind this is a far better option that the Zero (etc.) electric bikes that share similar cycle-parts and concept (ie. coming from a DH mountain-bike background), and by using a small petrol engine you immediately extend the range not only per ride, but indefinitely...

I know there are street legal version/s of the Zero available, but as Codemonkey suggests - I imagine those are also registered as 'mopeds' or have some sort of exemption because they are electric?

I don't want to sound like a doom-monger, but I cannot imagine the FX [style bike] would pass homologation as a full 'motorbike' in either Europe or the USA - not using bicycle components (although I have no doubt the brakes and suspension chosen are up to the task), together with noise and emissions and everything else involved these days?

If it cannot be made street legal, then my main concern is where you will be able to use this bike (other than OHV parks and private land)? The mountain-bike crowd (or more specifically mountain-bike riding centres) are not going to want you shredding up and down their courses, and of course trails not open to motor vehicles are going to be off-limits too... while if it is not street legal, you won't be able to ride it on motor vehicle trails either?

I would love to see something like this made street legal (even if it was just as a 'moped' - although in the UK those are limited to 50cc), as for general trail riding especially here in the UK, you don't need a rip-snorting 450cc Enduro bike - something like this would offer far less impact in sensitive riding areas (as long as it can be made pretty quiet), and you have the option of either riding or trailering it (on a cycle rack!) to where you want to start your ride!

I shall watch this development with interest!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #22
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
New Zealand is NOT Australia mate nor is it Austria. If you had even bothered to have a cursory read of the posts above yours you would have seen that the bike is from New Zealand.
You seem to have a habit if typing without knowing what you are typing about maybe it's time to think before you type.

if they are really good, then they are claimed as Aussie, otherwise, the are from NZ .

Oh, and can someone take Russel Crowe next time they are heading home?
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #23
MikeFX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Riding with a little back pack is not going to cut it if we're talking about true long term adventure travel.

To travel with that bike the frame and sub frame would have to be seriously modified to accept panniers of some kind. The components look excellent ... But are they tough enough to handle tens of thousands of miles of wash board hammering with 40kg. of luggage on board?
I know a guy who walked the 5 month long Appalachian Trail with only 10kg (22lb) of gear. He said that when you travel that light, you can wear trail running shoes rather than boots, which is a whole lot easier and more fun.

I see these FX bikes as lightweight explorers needing lightweight gear, more like a backpack or bicycle bags panniers than motorcycle gear. Too much weight on your bike ruins the ride!
MikeFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #24
MikeFX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
First up, let me say I think this is a GREAT concept!

However, I similarly share the concern about how you might register one of these for road use?

I don't want to sound like a doom-monger, but I cannot imagine the FX [style bike] would pass homologation as a full 'motorbike' in either Europe or the USA - not using bicycle components (although I have no doubt the brakes and suspension chosen are up to the task), together with noise and emissions and everything else involved these days?

I shall watch this development with interest!

Jx
Good news, virtually all the parts on the next-gen models are motorcycle parts and ready for street legal...enduro tyres, motorcycle brakes, the oversized DH forks have enduro springs fitted, ATV air shock...

See www.fxbikes.com/bikes for specs
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #25
MikeFX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matified View Post
That engine design is a horizontal engine, the oil pump pick up is at the front. It will need twice the oil capacity to keep the sump submerged. That engine will not survive standing up like that. It also needs the crank to throw oil up under the piston.
wit twice the amount of oil in it, the crankcase pressure will pump the oil out the vent.
You are right! At FX we experimented with sloping the engine up like that and with a little extra oil they went fine, but for the reasons you've state we're going back to horizontal in the next-gen design!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #26
MikeFX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
MikeFX:

Great looking machine. I hope we see it here in the states someday.

Do you heve a weight limitation in mind? In other words, can it haul my fat arse? I'm about 119kg. (I'm likin' the metric thing...it's a smaller number than pounds).

If any lawyers manage to get involved in writing the warranty they'll probably try to slip in a weight limit but in the real world we've had heavier guys than you riding them with no problems.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #27
MikeFX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
This looks like the latest version of a vaporware bike that has been sighted on the internet for 5+ years.

Those tires are garbage, and I wouldn't trust the 10yo technology mountain bike fork either. I think that fork was last produced in 2003 or something.

Cool idea will be a helluva lot cooler when it exists in the real world.
Its true we've been building, testing and putting these bikes out there for quite a few years, the main delay being the recession that's knocked quite a few motorcycle companies over and left others with 40% and even 90% lower sales than 2007, even now, so its not quite the easiest time to finance and launch full scale production...we're taking reservations on a wait list meantime, no deposit, and working away on production in the background.

Tires front and rear on next gen models are both 19" motocross / enduro tires from Michelin or similar.

Those Marzocchi Monster T forks are well known as being indestructible but were too heavy for DH mountain bike racing at 5.5kg (13lb) so were discontinued when the lighter Fox 40 was released. At half the weight of a dirt bike fork, they are perfect for our bike, which is half the weight of a dirt bike :)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #28
MikeFX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I like it (seen these before), but if I am not mistaken these are not street legal in the USA unless you try and go for a moped registration and then you can't ride it on the highway (not that I would want to).

For what they are intended I think they are probably great - yet another option for us. No one bike is perfect for all conditions and the light weight is a great benefit.
We are building our next gen bikes to be street legal in California (then the rest of the USA is easy).

We have options to fit 125cc 150cc and 190cc engines in the same frame, so freeway is a possibility but not recommended just yet :)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #29
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
MikeFX - I applaud your efforts and look forward to seeing this segment-busting bike hit the marketplace. The fact that you are building one for (very) lightweight off-road / ADV touring is even cooler. Bring it on!
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #30
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 752
Love it, if I ever see a stealership in Canada, I'll be all over one!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote