Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
ridin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Looks like it has real potential for extreme singletrack riding! I look forward to seeing these go into production. I'm very inteerrested
ridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFX View Post
We are building our next gen bikes to be street legal in California (then the rest of the USA is easy).
Really?

Quote:
We have options to fit 125cc 150cc and 190cc engines in the same frame, so freeway is a possibility but not recommended just yet :)
Pretty sure that in CA motorcycles under 250cc's are not allowed on freeways.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
pedal bike vs. motorcycle tech...

I just want to add that pedal bike technology has always been LIGHT YEARS ahead of engine bike technology, specifically the use of materials, weight savings, suspension design and pretty much all things related to geometry and frame performance...

so saying something like 10 old front fork mountain bike technology is outdated is like sying you are 10 years ahead of your time motorcycle wise...

if put into production this type of bike will be a complete success for those that know and want something klike this for years...

just an example

hondas xr650r forks famous for being the best conventionals were pretty much updated kawasaki (forget the model, I think kx500)forks...oooooooooooooooooooooooooold

how many motorcyles you see today have carbon fiber frames? especially dirt bikes, floating rear suspension tech(old now) electric gear changers(deraileurs) etc...etc...

put this into a motorcycle takes decades to do...the day youll see a dirtbike with push button gears etc...will be a long time coming...yet road race pedal bikes have this NOW!

cheers dudes and kudos for the awesome prototype.

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Oh man I want one these bad. It'll be the perfect addition to my campervan. Been trying to figure out how street legalize a trials bikes, with a reasonable tank and seat, but not getting anywhere.

Bring a street legal version to the US poleeezzzzee.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #35
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
New Zealand bike actually :)

With a 3 gallon tank, 8" Marzocchi / Fox suspension, Excel enduro rims, and the 125cc clone version of the Honda 90, there's no reason it can't go a heck of a lot further than the mighty Cub :)
How long before this rig makes it to USA ? Are you looking for dealers?

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
I would love to rent one for a day, it must be very different from a motorcycle, go right up trees with the right tires....

NZ, someplace down south?
Where movie stars and polar bears come from?
Where do the Tazmanian devels fit in?

(totaly clueless American)
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
I'd like the electric version please.

I wonder how much weight I could shave off a cr125 chassis by going with the mountain bike components. A kx 100 only has one radiator, maybe i could delete one of the cr125 rads.

How much do those postie motors weigh?

Here's a kx85 based project, looks pretty cool.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...X-bikes-beware
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I just want to add that pedal bike technology has always been LIGHT YEARS ahead of engine bike technology, specifically the use of materials, weight savings, suspension design and pretty much all things related to geometry and frame performance...

so saying something like 10 old front fork mountain bike technology is outdated is like sying you are 10 years ahead of your time motorcycle wise...

if put into production this type of bike will be a complete success for those that know and want something klike this for years...

just an example

hondas xr650r forks famous for being the best conventionals were pretty much updated kawasaki (forget the model, I think kx500)forks...oooooooooooooooooooooooooold

how many motorcyles you see today have carbon fiber frames? especially dirt bikes, floating rear suspension tech(old now) electric gear changers(deraileurs) etc...etc...

put this into a motorcycle takes decades to do...the day youll see a dirtbike with push button gears etc...will be a long time coming...yet road race pedal bikes have this NOW!

cheers dudes and kudos for the awesome prototype.

christian
+1 The cycling industry is light years ahead of the dirt bike industry in terms of quality and technology. Then again, if a dirt bike was built to MTB standards it would cost $35k.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Would be cool on the road.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
cant wait to see one on here with huge metal panniers ,an aqualine 30L gas tank,stupid huge dakar rally fairing/headlight kit,fat seat, gps doodads,full titanium exhaust system.........[photoshop please]
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I would love one

I want one pretty badly. Right up my alley with my BMX background and my ultralight RTW style riding. I see so many MORE possibilities with this bike and less hurdles than with a standard thumper.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #42
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,005
Wow! Love this concept! That bike will be a real hoot on the right kind of trails. I have no idea why anyone would want to take it on the highway or whatever - I've ridden my 530 on the Freeway a couple times, and even on a few parkways, and then pulled into my driveway on it.....but I sure didnt enjoy any of it....

I'd throw this thing on my hitch and bring it to Baja or someplace like that and go out exploring on it....it really looks like a blast....the comments about Thailand or similar locale make a lot of sense too....

Go guys, go! Get these puppies into the U.S. and soon!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #43
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 609
looks awesome.

Would love to have one. Would really, really love to have a street legal one.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #44
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,302
Waaaaay cool! I hope this comes to production and takes off big time!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
We are building our next gen bikes to be street legal in California (then the rest of the USA is easy).

We have options to fit 125cc 150cc and 190cc engines in the same frame, so freeway is a possibility but not recommended just yet :)
I hate to be the bad guy here, but do you know how much it takes in funding to get EPA/CARB on the engines? Each engine size needs to be tested independently and each has to have separate EPA/CARB certifications. It runs about $25,000 for each engine, plus a long term emissions test for deterioration of the components to maintain compliance.
You will have better luck with 48 states, New Jersey is also about impossible for any small manufacturer.
There are a few engines already that would pass but they are not as durable for offroad and are cluttered with plenty of emissions equipment , that a 125cc is about as powerful as an offroad only 90cc engine.

I love the bike, and the idea, plus the ambition, but I travel down a very similar road a few time a year.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote